paleo mayo & ranch dressing better than regular

Options
I just got the recipes for these from "It Begins With Food". They are fantastic! Now to find a ketchup and cocktail sauce recipe that is equally as good!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Paleo condiments are the bomb. I can't believe that I went all of my life thinking that mayo always comes in a bottle from the store. I'm trying to figure out how to get by on my holiday without homemade mayo and ranch dressing. I'm thinking that I could take a jar of my ranch seasoning and then just mix it with plain yogurt or sour cream. Not perfect but I am determined to avoid canola and soy.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the ketchup recipe from Mark's Daily Apple? I think its really good! I haven't tried the recipe for Ranch yet, but it sounds like I need to do that. I really miss ranch dressing!
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I just made paleo mayo for the first time, soooooo good!
  • brenbrenm
    brenbrenm Posts: 81
    Options
    I tried a ketchup recipe, but I can't remember from where...it wasn't very good though! It tasted more like BBQ sauce and was really watery. I'll have to find the one you're talking about.
  • AnnieBreadnJammi
    Options
    any chances of posting the recipes here guys? My son is a condiment fiend and I think this would help make his paleo lifestyle a bit easier.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Has anyone successfully made egg-free mayo? Would like to find a recipe for that as I'm avoiding eggs at the moment. Hope to be able to reintroduce them, but not while my knees still hurt...
  • brenbrenm
    Options
    I don't know of one without eggs, but for the one I made, you put one egg and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice, both at room temp, in a blender with 1/4 cup light tasting olive oil, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, and 1/2 tsp salt. Blend until combined. Then slowly drizzle another cup of oil into the blender while the motor is running. That's it. Now my husband is a mayo fanatic, and he wasn't crazy about it, but I thought it was really good.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't know of one without eggs, but for the one I made, you put one egg and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice, both at room temp, in a blender with 1/4 cup light tasting olive oil, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, and 1/2 tsp salt. Blend until combined. Then slowly drizzle another cup of oil into the blender while the motor is running. That's it. Now my husband is a mayo fanatic, and he wasn't crazy about it, but I thought it was really good.

That sounds really good. I'm going to try it and see if my knee pain increases. Sure hope not -- I'm hoping the problem is more with nightshades and not with eggs as we have a great source of truly free-range eggs (no grain at all, just foraging and veggie scraps) at a reasonable price right now.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Pretty much ANY home-made mayo should like more-or-less like this. Mayonnaise is naturally paleo when not loaded with industrial crap.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post a topic about condiments dressings and dips. Any good recipes somebody can share?
    Any thoughts on store bought mayo that made from olive oil?
  • brenbrenm
    Options
    I think the one I posted above tastes pretty similar. Also, if you buy the large bottle of light tasting olive oil (cost me around 11.50), it will make quite a bit of mayo, so would cost less in the long run. I'm not sure of the ingredients in the store bought brands.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on store bought mayo that made from olive oil?
    No such thing. The store bought one labeled "made with olive oil" has just a bit of olive oil in it so that they can label it that way. The bulk of the oil is still soybean.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to make my own mayo for a while. THE thing that has been holding me back: I am super afraid of gettign salmenella from raw eggs. I know in europe they don't worry about that, am I being too conservitive?

Is that not a worry any more? As far as I remember, that was a major concern growing up and my mother used to not let us lick the spatula when she made any baked good that had raw egg because she said we'd get salmenella and end up with a clostomy bag. Its a terrible image burned in my head! Was that just my mother? are raw eggs really safe?
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    You can pasteurize your eggs to make them safe. http://bakingbites.com/2011/03/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home/
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I can't make my mayo turn out right. it's grainy. GRRRRR
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Took me AGES to get the mayo down but now that I have....MY GOD, where had this been all my life?!
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    What are you putting in your mayo that could make it grainy?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in your mayo that could make it grainy?

It's an emulsion. I'm guessing the egg was too cold or the oil was added too quickly.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Remember that these condiments will only keep in the refrigerator for a few days. I wan't to make mayo but I live alone and can't use up a whole cup in 4 days.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Remember that these condiments will only keep in the refrigerator for a few days. I wan't to make mayo but I live alone and can't use up a whole cup in 4 days.
    It should last longer than 4 days - use the freshest eggs you can find. Mine lasts around 7 days (if it isn't snuffled up!). I just try to make sure it's used before the expiry date listed on the egg carton. Perhaps you could try making a half recipe. Maybe just beat your egg first so it's well blended then use half of that and half the oil.

The easiest quickest way to make mayo that is fail safe and faster than reading the labels on bottled ones at the supermarket is simply to use whatever recipe you have chosen, put everything into a wide mouth jar then whizz it up with your stick blender for a few seconds. Super fast, doesn't split, no adding oil drop by drop.
    I use 1 cup of light olive oil, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tb (or a little more) of lemon juice or vinegar and 1/2 - 1 tsp mustard powder. I have also started adding loads of herbs and spices like onion flakes, garlic powder, black pepper,dill etc (kind of like ranch) which really zings it up.

Salmonella - commercially produced eggs are often irradiated anyway to kill salmonella but it a classic case of feeding the fear. I'm not American but I've noticed your food standards for safety seem to be way over the top especially when it comes to recommendations for canning etc.