Replies

• jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    tagging to read later
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    EDIT: For a 5x5 type of program, one change you can make when you do hit a wall with your progress, is to move to a 3x5 on whatever lift you are stalling out. You can also increase rest times between sets if you are cutting it short at all. You can also use fractionals to increase loading by a lower amount than is suggested. Just some ideas....

Yes. I recommend 3x5 vehemently. Especially while in a deficit. Squatting heavy 3x a week, adding 5lbs every workout, and doing 5x5 while in a deficit is just craziness. I progressed for a while but I stalled out fast and started failing. 3x5 got me a lot further. I recently switched to Madcow 5x5 which is what Mehdi recommends after doing SL. I like it a lot better. It's still squatting 3x a week but it has a heavy 5s day, then a light squat day in the middle, then a heavy 3s day. And only 5lbs a week, not 5lbs a workout. And you work your way up in weight through sets, you only do 1x5 at maximal weight. It has been a saviour to me, I thought my legs were going to fall off doing SL. SL is definitely for the beginner and will last longer for someone in maintenance or a surplus.

Just IMO of course. Once I get tired of Madcow I will be going to 5/3/1. I've been in a deficit for over 2 years though so my progress is pretty slow at this point. A slower program works better for me, I might go back to more linear (at least for a bit) once I start my bulk.

^^I agree that something like Madcow is a more optimal progression and is what Medhi recommends. 5/3/1 has you, for example, squatting once a week - not ideal for many people. You can tweak the program and squat more than once a week but you have to be careful with your programming and your selection of your assists.

Madcow has periodization baked into it which is a good thing once you stop making gains/or they slow to a snails pace with a linear program. Another option, depending on recovery and time available to get to the gym is a 2 day split - either upper/lower or push/pull.

Remember, the longer in your lifting life you are, the slower the gains. As such, intermediate programs are designed with slower increments in mind. So, someone earlier in their lifting life will be making suboptimal progress on an intermediate program.

Another thing to check, in addition to all the others mentioned, is your form. I realize that you are not stalled, but as a general comment, check your form if you are. [check your form anyway - but form may be a reason for the stall]
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Tagging. Nice thread, thanks all!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Tagging as I had the exact same question as my gains on SL have stalled and squatting heavy 3x a week really seems to wipe me out while on a caloric deficit.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My lift weights are somewhat close to yours, and I have been doing SL off and on for about a year and a half! So don't get down, you have made great progress. I seem to loose it easy, so if I have to take time off for being sick or out of town, I have to reset everything down. And in the summer with a little running and more cycling, my legs will sometimes feel like jelly. I think after 6 or 9 months I switched from 5x5 to 3x5, and that did make a difference. I think I also may not squat every time just to help the legs.

And for me, it is amazing how much calories make a difference. When I got back in the swing last fall, I kept it at maintenance to begin with. When I did start stalling out, that is when I bumped up the calories by a few hundred. And within just a few weeks, I felt a big improvement. So if your bigger picture goals are directing your calorie level, just understand that it will impact your lifting.
This discussion has been closed.