June 2013 28 Day Open KB Challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Completed day 4 of my 21 day challenge today, then went out for a 1 hour walk.

BTW, I'm starting out with a 25 pound kettlebell. Apparently, that is heavy for a beginner lady, but I am 5'11" and 200+ pounds, so I figure I am more man sized than lady sized. :tongue: At the very least, I am significantly larger than the average gal and can swing around more weight. Rarrrr.
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Nice job, but I'd consider you a little lady. Raawr!

BTW, I'm starting out with a 25 pound kettlebell. Apparently, that is heavy for a beginner lady, but I am 5'11" and 200+ pounds, so I figure I am more man sized than lady sized. :tongue: At the very least, I am significantly larger than the average gal and can swing around more weight. Rarrrr.
  • twestla70
    twestla70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to the group, but not to Kettlebells!. I am addicted! I currently go to a Personal Training studio to attend the Bootcamps. Currently I attend 2 bootcamps a week. 45min Intermediate on Tuesdays, and my fave - 60min Advanced on Saturdays.

Trying to think of my challenge for the month, so what I am going to try to do: one additional home workout per week and increase my current weight from a 20lb KB (just a recent increase) to a 25lb by the end of the month. Our trainer now has us doing 10mins of swings straight, no rest, as a warm up. Intense. LOVE it!!
  • LadyPaleo
    LadyPaleo Posts: 24
    Options
    500 minute KB Challenge for June (1st three weeks)
    150 minutes done; 350 minutes of training to go.

Let's keep it going everyone! Looks like everyone is making great progress in their challenges. Cheers!
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am a little late but would like to participate please :-)

DO THIS WORKOUT TWICE A WEEK
    1min work/20 sec rest.....2 rounds
    swing (16kg)
    halo (12...aim to do it with 16kg by end on june)
    figure 8 (12kg)
    high pull (12kg)
    snatch (16kg)
    single arm swing (16kh)
    clean and press (12kg...aim to do it with a 16kg by end of june)

DO THIS WORKOUT TWICE A WEEK
    2 rounds
    10 Single Leg Deadlifts (on each side) (24kg)
    20 Kettlebell Swings (16kg)
    10 bent over rows (on each side) (16kg)
    5 Turkish Get Ups (on each side) (12kg)
    6 windmills (on each side) (16kg)
    10 Snatches (do reps with each arm) (16kg)

comments/tips on my workout are more than welcome :-)
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Good on you for starting with a decent weight. Decent weight keeps your technique honest or at least exposes flaws in technique fairly quickly. Too often, you see people starting too light & when they're at the point where they should be getting fatigued, they're using their arms to easily lift the weight during a session of swings.
  • amandammmq
    Options

Good on you for starting with a decent weight. Decent weight keeps your technique honest or at least exposes flaws in technique fairly quickly. Too often, you see people starting too light & when they're at the point where they should be getting fatigued, they're using their arms to easily lift the weight during a session of swings.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree about aiming for a decent amount of weight. I am definitely NOT using my arms to lift the weight! One thing I like about the 21 day challenge is it gives form suggestions to focus on each day... squeezing glutes, allowing arms to float up, driving weight through heels, etc.

Anyway, I completed day 7 yesterday and it was the first day where I felt a significant improvement in strength and form. Things are really starting to feel good, and I am looking forward to continuing to feel improvements.
  • LadyPaleo
    Options
    500 minute KB Challenge for June (1st three weeks)
    200 minutes done; 300 minutes of training to go.

So far, I'm enjoying adding the extra KB workout in the week. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to continue this through July.
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    1 round of KBs done.

sorry for being a crappy host to a challenge. I'm proud of the work everyone is doing.

I never thought I could get sucked into walking for exercise so much that KBs is taking a back seat. During my last walk i realize the problem and I'm currently fixing that.
  • amandammmq
    Options
    Just completed day 11 of my 21 day challenge. I was dreading it a little, because most of the days have been 5 minutes, but today was 20 minutes! I must say that my lower back feels TIRED, but that appears to be the only negative side effect. I was a bit scared, but I survived. Not sure why I doubted myself! Oh, right, being 40, pudgy, and out of shape might be the reason! :laugh:

However, regardless of whether or not I'm losing an ounce (I don't seem to be), I am improving my strength and endurance, and therefore my health. Good enough!
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    Week 1 (June 2-8): 1/10 rounds completed
    Week 2(June 9-15): 3/10 rounds completed
    Week 3(June 16-22): 0/10 rounds completed
    Week 4(June 23-June 29): 0/10 rounds completed

Doing 1 round daily the last 3 days.
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    I am a little late but would like to participate please :-)

Never too late to join. Workouts look good. You've done that circuit with those weights before? Good luck!
  • LadyPaleo
    Options
    Bummer alert!

I'm going to have to put my KB challenge on hold, as I nurse really crappy shoulder pain (right underneath my collarbone).

I'm going to try to keep up and maintain my fitness by walking a whole lot more. I'm also open to any suggestions for fitness maintenance, as I chill out with upper body exercises for the time being.
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    I'm going to try to keep up and maintain my fitness by walking a whole lot more.

I like walking!
  • kdew2
    kdew2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So I never made it back here to post what my goals were going to be for the month. Work has been extremely busy and I am trying to not spend as much time online to free up more time for working out.

After reading all the other posts, I also purchased the 21 Day Challenge. However, I am not following the plan exactly. I am doing the Intermediate and Advanced Workouts simultaneously as well as doing more than 1 days challenge at a time. So far this is what I've done:

Session I - (1190 KB Swings - 550 DHS/25lbs and 640 SHS/15lbs)

Day 1 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 250 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 250 Swings (500 Swings Total)
    Day 2 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 150 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 180 Swings (330 Swings Total)
    Day 3 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 150 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 210 Swings (360 Swings Total)

Session II - (900 KB Swings - 450 DHS/25lbs and 450 SHS/15lbs)

Day 4 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 450 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 450 Swings (900 Swings Total)

Session III - (1755 Swings - 855 DHS/25lbs and 900 SHS/15lbs)

Day 5 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 150 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 150 Swings (300 Swings Total)
    Day 6 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 180 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 150 Swings (330 Swings Total)
    Day 7 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 150 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 150 Swings (300 Swings Total)
    Day 8 - Intermediate Workout 25lb KB 375 Swings, Advanced Workout 15lb KB 450 Swings (825 Swings Total)
    Warm Up and Cool Down before and after Days 5, 6, 7, and 8 workouts were Squats/25 lb KB for a total of 750/25lb Squats for the day.

I think I could do the SHS with my 20lb KB, but I started the challenge with the 15lb for SHS so I will finish it that way.

I plan to complete the 21 Day Challenge Intermediate & Advanced before the end of the month as well as have a minimum of 7000 Swings for the month. I've had 5000+ in a month before, but would like to work my way up to 10,000. So 7,000 for June and perhaps 10,000 in July. :)

Everyone is doing a great job and thanks to whoever posted the info on the 21 Day Challenge.
  • amandammmq
    Options

Everyone is doing a great job and thanks to whoever posted the info on the 21 Day Challenge.

That was me! I'm glad that you are able to make use of it. I am sticking to the beginner level... it is definitely my speed at this point! I just completed day 15 today. :flowerforyou:
  • kdew2
    kdew2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

That was me! I'm glad that you are able to make use of it. I am sticking to the beginner level... it is definitely my speed at this point! I just completed day 15 today. :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much for sharing the info Amanda. You are doing a great job and are just about 3/4 of the way through the challenge. You will be amazed at how quickly your strength and stamina improve from using KB's. They are by far my favorite workout. The fact that beginner, intermediate, and advanced options are included in the program make it a great one, as you will be able to use it over and over again as you progress. :)