That first game that made you a gamer.

Replies

• stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    My mom and dad got a NES in the 80s... I played Mario. I'm 27. Mario is definitely my first memories from games.

But what really got me into games? GoldenEye. I don't need to say anymore.
  • Vicko25
    Vicko25 Posts: 45
    This is going to sound old lol... but the first thing that turned me into a gamer was an Atari game yes that old console with only a stick and a button, the name was seaquest I think, it was something about submarines ! after that I was playing games as I was growing and consoles were evolving, street fighter, mario bros, contra... long etc untill I met Final Fantasy IX was the first FF I played and even tho it was in Japanese lol (I didn't understood a crap) but got to the third disk just like that, later on found Final Fantasy VIII it was on english and I'm latin american and spanish speaker, I have to say, that game made me learn english, my english may not be great, but I learned it mostly from games and special thanks to the final fantasy series !, it turned me into a RPG genre lover !
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmx9OKFFE0X6my_rAPfYzp8Qme1OP6A7BCEQVqK7045WJHEEsOMQ
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Castelvania: Symphony of the Night - I was hooked to that game. Still play it.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmx9OKFFE0X6my_rAPfYzp8Qme1OP6A7BCEQVqK7045WJHEEsOMQ
    It's just as beautiful as I remember. :love:
  • JoyceMakker
    JoyceMakker Posts: 21 Member
    I was born in the year 1990, so I got into games a little later than most of you folks. I missed out on a lot!

But for me to really get into gaming, I think there were 4 major things, of which the game that influenced me most handsdown, is Pokemon Red on my little pink Gameboy Pocket.
    Aside from that there was the fact that my uncle (and godfather) had a Sega Game Gear, on which I played an insane amount of Tetris. Oh and I also had a Tetris handheld, loved that thing till the very end.
    Then there was Asteroids at my cousins' house, which we played on a big tv.
    And there were a couple of floppy games too, of which I can't remember any of the names.

Also, one of you guys mentioned GoldenEye. A former teachers of mine worked on that actually. Makes me think of him as a proper legend, because he influenced so many lives, haha.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    I played stuff at the arcade.....we never had an atari or nintendo or gamecube growing up....(we had a Vetrex)....but otherwsie i wasn't into games at all...(although Street Fighter and PacMan I was awesome at)

But then I met my now husband and he introduced me to Balder's Gate on the PS2 in 2005.
    I think he rues that....we now have an XBox, a PS3, a Wii, and a gaming laptop (mine!!!!!).

But it was Dragon Age Origins that clinched the deal.
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Castle Wolfenstein and Sopwith was what I really remember starting out my PC gaming. There was stuff before that that was fun also. I bet a lot of people have memories here of playing Oregon Trail in school on the Apple 2e's.

CastleWolfensteinC64.png

sopwith.jpg
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    I would say Zork on my C64 or Below the Root. I wonder if anyone on here has even played Below the Root :p
  • lacquer_head
    lacquer_head Posts: 49 Member
    I was born in 1986 and, for as long as I can remember, there has always been a geme system in my house, starting with the OG NES. Mario and I were homies from the beginning. I can't even remember what I did BEFORE Mario, it had that much of an impact on me. I still can't believe some people don't play videogames... How do they live?!!!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Whenever someone says that they don't like video games it always confuses the heck out of me. I don't even know how to process a sentence like that. I guess it is the way other people feel when I tell them I hate camping.

The thing is I have never developed a painful rash during a weekend of gaming. I have never had to sleep on the ground outside because a part of my gaming system broke. No amount of gaming has ever resulted in my having to poop outside. To me there is a laundry list of reason to hate camping but gaming is bottled awesomeness.
  • baraccus
    baraccus Posts: 85 Member
    Totally dating myself here but the first game I remember playing and enjoying was Qbert for our Colecovision! True game love had to occur with Final Fantasy 1 for NES (don't get me wrong I loved playing Legend of Zelda but Final Fantasy blew my mind)...still been playing Final Fantasy games ever since!
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    I played a lot of duck hunt and Mario on Nintendo when I was a kid, but I never got hooked on either of them. Then we got a Packard Bell and Chip's Challenge was just...a total life suck for a solids 3 or 4 months. Then a lot of Sonic on Sega, Mario Party on N64, and (though it's a little embarrassing to a admit now), Spyro on Playstation. But it wasn't until League of Legends sucking all my remaining waking hours and causing me to forget that I had to, you know, shower and eat and stuff that I realized that I was more of a "gamer" than I had thought.

Edit >>> OMG I forgot about Pokemon! I used to stay up all night long with my kiwi green Gameboy Color under the covers :) I thought I was so sneaky...
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    I think I was probably 5 or 6 years old, but this was one of many games that got me hooked.

Startropics_box.jpg
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    I always died playing Oregon Trail....i would say that game single handedly kept me from playing video games until i was i my 30's
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Joust on the Atari. First game that got me into RPGing was Final Fantasy, the original. I was in charge of making the dugeon maps & keeping track of Boss HP levels for my brother. :D Been a fan ever since.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Curse of the Azure Bonds on my trusty old Commodore 64! I was so enthralled that I spent every spare moment on it over a month or two (the loading times for those old floppies were insane when you think back on it).
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

Only game I've played until I beat the whole thing.

Stopped for a while, then got hooked on The Sims in college, then it went downhill from there :P
  • Mataleee
    Mataleee Posts: 4
    The event that made me a gamer was one Christmas when I got my Master system. I sneaked into the living room on christmas eve when everyone had gone to bed and opened Castle of Illusions starring Mickey Mouse. I screamed into my pillow!

But the first game that I fell in love with was probably Ocarina of Time.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

Only game I've played until I beat the whole thing.

Stopped for a while, then got hooked on The Sims in college, then it went downhill from there :P

I played this game so much. Rumor started going around that if you beat this game, without saving, 101%, in under an hour, it would let you play the original Donkey Kong. I was never able to do it.