What are some easy to eat, high calorie foods/meals?

Options
Hey guys! I started using MFP around a month ago and am looking for some advice. I find it really hard to reach my daily goal (2050 cals) and by the end of the day I get really upset when I realize I still have like, 800 calories to go. So I end up trying to chug down three glasses of milk and bread whatnot right before I go to bed... which I realize is super unhealthy. ANYWAY. My problem is that I get full WAY too easily. It's easy to pile a plate full of food but the reality is that I can only really get through half of it before my stomach starts to hurt. I also don't really have much time during the day to sit down and eat 700 calorie meals... maybe I'm just not eating the right things?
What are some EASY TO EAT, HIGH CALORIE foods that I can eat to gain weight? And does anyone have any tips on convincing my body to take in more food...because right now it's quite the struggle, haha. Thanks guys.

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I suggest something like a natural fruit juice, avocados, nuts. As for milk, go with full fat versions & unless you're lactose intolerant, I don't see anything unhealthy with drinking 3 glasses of it.
  • BonyToni
    Options
    I tend to pick at 100g of fruit and nut during the course of the working day giving a cool 450ish cals. If I am still short at the end of a day I drink a hot chocolate made with milk and top it with some canned squirty style cream. Dark chocolate is also good, I eat a brand called bournville at 100+ cals for just 4 squares. Other than that you can try the protein shakes. I have tried strawberry flavoured Nurishment at 440 cals and 20g of protein per can. If that isn't available where you are then Boost and Ensure are similar products. Other MFP friends like advocado and peanut butter. Best of luck gaining :-)
  • sergio_slim
    Options
    try cheese babybel, or cheddar cottage cheese or a softchesse thats looks like mascarpone that is called QUARK those will give you calories and Fat ( dont eat in excess tho) try to spread it trough the day...
  • asummers023
    Options
    Hi. I read your blog and it is difficult for me to determine how long have you been struggling with only being able to eat small amounts of food for? Although I am not a doctor you might want to see a licensed doctor who can help you. Some times people can actually develop a tumor inside of their stomach which in a strange way kinda cuts off your food supply. Some tumors can get as large as 8 tenths of a pound which is like taking a hungry man meal that weighs 16 ounces and having that in your stomach all the time. However either way banquet pot pies are really small and are sold in the refrigerated section of the store and generally come in beef, turkey, and chicken and are really small and have 400 to 410 calories in them and it has a lot of salt try drinking some water with it. Although not a little. kid. lunchable's are small and are loaded with calories ranging from.250 to 300. . Hot pockets have anywhere from 280 to 340 calories per one. Tombstone small deep dish pizzas have 400 . Hope that helps.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Keep things as clean as possible.. Avoid processed foods as much as possible.

- oatmeal (not the sugary crap)
    - sweet potato
    - Brown Rice
    - high fiberous veggies
    - almonds, pecans, walnuts
    - protein shakes (processed, but meh...)
  • wellam01
    wellam01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello u can try a shake that has milk, soy milk, 1/2 cup of walnuts, 2 heeping tbl of nutella, 2 tbl peanutbutter, 1/2 cup of icecream. this is about 1400 calories it will make two 8 oz cups. Drink one in the morning and the other half before bed.
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    See a doctor to investigate possible causes of low appetite and rapid satiety. Then, take digestive supplements: enzymes, hydrochloric acid, etc. Then while eating healthy food, add healthy fat to everything.
  • mandy_bird
    mandy_bird Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Snacking throughout the day is a good thing to do. Don't just snack on fruits and veggies only, but on more dense snacks. Say you want to eat an apple or some celery, eat it with peanut butter. Good quality (aka real) yogurt is also great, one particular brand I like is Liberte. It's a little more on the spendy side of yogurt, but it tastes heavenly like you're eating the healthiest ice cream on the planet, and it's 250 cal/170g. Shakes are also good for calorie intake, since you're drinking it instead of having to chew/eat it. Try having shakes on the go because if you're passively consuming calories (without thinking about it), it's easier to do. The more you start eating on a frequent basis (not just 3 meals a day), the more your digestive system will get used to eating frequently and will start getting hungrier, thus it will become easier to eat more.
  • kiltyscooby
    kiltyscooby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Having lost 4.5 stone through illness ,I am on a soft liquid diet , the one thing that the doctor put me on was Ensure plus , @350 calories/220ml bottle .I have fortified milk during the day [ 4 tbs of Nido powder milk added to 1 pint of whole fat milk ] .My favourite breakfast is what I call loaded eggs , basically scrambled eggs made with fortified milk and grated cheese ,I'll serve this with mash potato [added cream and butter] and buttered leeks .I have a problem swallowing but I find Danish bread butter goes down ok .The fortified milk I add to any thing that requires milk ,tea/coffee hot chocolate , desserts and so on .My breakfast really gives me a boost .Every 2 to 3 hours I will have a small meal or snack , my am snack is normally a small pot of dessert or yogurt and banana plus a hot drink and biscuit .I find it hard to gain weight ,but never give up trying .One day I will gain what I have lost.