Caffeine and Thryoxizine

Options
janlee_001
janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
Has anyone else heard that caffeine can inhibit the absorption of thryoxizine?

Replies

• jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep. It was actually listed in the guide/leaflet for the first brand of Levothyroxine I was prescribed (doesn't seem to be in my current one but this leaflet is smaller). It mainly mentioned that it is best not to have high caffeine products (eg coffee) when taking your meds. However it's up to you and how you feel as to how much you restrict caffeine or not. I drink less coffee than I did before and I have found an improvement in my energy levels and symptoms, but I still drink coffee as I like it :smile: I don't usually drink it every day, on a day where I do I usually just have one cup. My GP has been helping me to improve my symptoms through diet and restricting caffeine was part of his recommendations also.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    Thank you
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not to take caffeine for about 2 hours after taking my dose in the morning for a few months, so far like everything else it doesn't make the slightest difference.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it around the time I take my meds, but I am known to have around 4 cups of coffee a day. It's an addiction.
  • KathleenSweetie
    KathleenSweetie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not to take caffeine for about 2 hours after taking my dose in the morning for a few months, so far like everything else it doesn't make the slightest difference.

I never knew that! I drink a cup of coffee every morning, after I take my med. Oops!
  • janlee_001
    Options
    I've just read different articles on the internet which said not to. I've been on it over a year and when I started taking the med I was still drinking my morning coffee and my levels went to normal. I have basically read not to intake caffeine within an hour or so just like calcium and iron.:noway: