The "anti-soy" craze

Options
Shaolin_Life
Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
I use a non-GMO soy protein powder. It tastes great, mixes well with water, and is very affordable.

I eat non-GMO tofu, in a few different forms, a few times a week.

I love edamame (?) I feel great.

Please, you serious vegan/vegetarian strength-trainers / bodybuilders who emphasize "soy-free" whenever your protein sources are discussed: Please elucidate.

I've read some stuff pro-soy, and some anti-soy, yet nothing has conclusively shown me a reason to stop using it.....I wanna know your opinions.

Thanks,

Lowell

Replies

• thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i like soy in its whole food form. like edamame and some tofu. the "bad" soy would be soy protein isolate and other any other isolated nutrients, it becomes a processed food to me all processed food is bad.

i eat a whole foods plant based diet no supplements. as far as protein goes all foods are made up of amino acids and pretty much all plant foods are complete protein for humans. bananas, potatoes, bean, rice etc. are all complete but the quality of protein is not as high as meats and dairy but the quality of the protein dosent matter to much because we are not carnivores and we run on carbohydrates as are man source of energy so quality carbs more importion then quality protein. most plant food macros(carb/fat/protein) are good balance for humans high in carbs low in fat/protein and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ahhh..."processed" I see what you mean, I think. I've gotten in the habit of drinking my protein post-lifting.You strength training: I'd like to know what YOU eat/drink immediately following a session. I'm here to learn, as being in a habit-rut got me fat and out of life.

Lowell
  • thevegangladiator
    Options
    i workout day for me i start morning off with water, then make a green smoothie (kale 2 to 4 leaves, bananas 6 to 8, blueberries 1 cup, some times dates 5 =about 1000 to 1500 calories) an hour or 2 after then ill go to the gym and lifted anywhere form 2 to 3 hours i do about 10 to 12 exercises 3 sets each. after i finishing working out will have a banana blueberry smoothies (bananas 10-15, blueberries 1/2-1cup 1100-1500calories) or ill made rice, black beans and veggies about 1000 calories and dinner potatoes or brown rice, yams, quinoa with black beans and veggies about 1000-1300 calories. main focus is getting about 3k calories form plant foods that are high in carbs low in fat. the fat you eat is the fat you wear lol :P
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what to think about soy either. I guess you can go with the "everything in moderation" type of mind-set. I do occasionally eat processed soy, but I really try to limit that, partly because it find that I cannot digest it (gives me bloating and causes other digestive distress). I occasionally eat edamame. I love tofu and tempeh and was eating quite a bit of it but after missing a period for unknown reasons I cut way back on those. (The missed period could have been from high-intensity exercise, but since I cut way back on soy it has returned to normal...sorry if that is TMI).

I just try to eat lots of veggies and beans and I do supplement my diet with brown rice, hemp, and pea protein powders. I do high cardio (biking) and not much lifting so it's not as essential that I eat tons of protein.

Due to the scare and the uncertainty of eating soy I have started eating local eggs from a woman I work with. After eating some other dairy in the past few weeks I have noticed that I am a little more tired...but that could also be because my training has increased. Hard to distinguish the difference at this point. I'm still conflicted on the whole vegan thing and I'm not sure I was doing it for the "right" reason. I did not choose to try veganism because of animal rights so I sometimes find it hard to be totally strict about it in my diet, and my life in general. I just want to optimize my health, recovery, and workouts. I think for me being plant-based (I dare not call it "mostly vegan") with occasional eggs and diary is the way to go. This is not meant to spark another debate, just something that has come up during my vegan experiment.
  • thevegangladiator
    Options
    here a video about soy its short. http://youtu.be/a8bnOaUsy54