Insanity Questions

Options
Tflowers34907
Tflowers34907 Posts: 51 Member
Hey everyone! I am hoping I can get a little clarification on some things. This is my second attempt at Insanity and I want to make sure I 1)complete the full 63 days and 2) get the best possible results. The first time I did the program I only made it 4 days so needless to say I had motivation issues. I am trying to get in better shape to complete a 5K in November (I want to reward myself for doing this by completing a Color Vibe race) and I want to look great naked! Most of my unhappiness is in my upper body areas like my stomach, back, and arms. Does anyone have any tips on making sure I get the best results in these areas? If nothing else I want my back rolls and gut to cease to exist. Also it seems that no matter what I do, how I eat, what time I eat, how much water I drink, exercise just makes me nauseous and dizzy. How do I stop this? Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• teamryan90
    teamryan90 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am hoping I can get a little clarification on some things. This is my second attempt at Insanity and I want to make sure I 1)complete the full 63 days and 2) get the best possible results. The first time I did the program I only made it 4 days so needless to say I had motivation issues. I am trying to get in better shape to complete a 5K in November (I want to reward myself for doing this by completing a Color Vibe race) and I want to look great naked! Most of my unhappiness is in my upper body areas like my stomach, back, and arms. Does anyone have any tips on making sure I get the best results in these areas? If nothing else I want my back rolls and gut to cease to exist. Also it seems that no matter what I do, how I eat, what time I eat, how much water I drink, exercise just makes me nauseous and dizzy. How do I stop this? Thanks everyone!!

The back rolls and gut/stomach area is always one of the last areas and hardest to get rid of the fat. Insanity is a fat shredder and if you give it your best and eat healthy it should shred away.

I am following the 40% protein, 20 % carbs and 20% fat. Make sure you get enough calories too. Eating not enough calories can be just as bad as eating too many. Make sure you eat something right after your workout. I drink a recovery drink or have a protein bar. This is very important your body needs it. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night is essential too. Your body needs the rest, I will talk more about this later but make sure you are eating enough. Not eating enough can cause the dizziness and to be nauseous.
  • Tflowers34907
    Tflowers34907 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The back rolls and gut/stomach area is always one of the last areas and hardest to get rid of the fat. Insanity is a fat shredder and if you give it your best and eat healthy it should shred away.

I am following the 40% protein, 40 % carbs and 20% fat. Make sure you get enough calories too. Eating not enough calories can be just as bad as eating too many. Make sure you eat something right after your workout. I drink a recovery drink or have a protein bar. This is very important your body needs it. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night is essential too. Your body needs the rest, I will talk more about this later but make sure you are eating enough. Not eating enough can cause the dizziness and to be nauseous.

Thanks Ryan! I think I will start working out either at night or later afternoon to ensure I have eaten enough to power such a strenuous workout. I was thinking about trying the whole chocolate milk theory for my recovery. I will let you know how it goes.
  • Scarlett1joshua1
    Options
    HI, Im on day 3 of insanity today. Been following the diet to the letter (although I cant get Shakeology so been having the closest I could get- it has higher protien/ lower carb ratio than shakeology, but same calorie level). If I feel very energetic, can I do additional work outs, or will this then mean I need to eat more?
    Before I started insanity I was sticking to 1200 cal a day and workingout for about 2 hours per day- didnt loose any weight....... now im eating kust under 1900 (as per calcuations in insanity nutrition guide), however it feels like all im doing is eating all day!!! if exersising more means I need to eat more ill stick to just insanity.

Thanks
    Heather
  • teamryan90
    Options
    HI, Im on day 3 of insanity today. Been following the diet to the letter (although I cant get Shakeology so been having the closest I could get- it has higher protien/ lower carb ratio than shakeology, but same calorie level). If I feel very energetic, can I do additional work outs, or will this then mean I need to eat more?
    Before I started insanity I was sticking to 1200 cal a day and workingout for about 2 hours per day- didnt loose any weight....... now im eating kust under 1900 (as per calcuations in insanity nutrition guide), however it feels like all im doing is eating all day!!! if exersising more means I need to eat more ill stick to just insanity.

Thanks
    Heather

Hi Heather,

Yes you can do additonal workouts but make sure you drink more water, stretch really well, and get enough calories. I have a few members who do Insanity and other workouts. You will still need at least 1 rest day. Eating enough calories is very important. Eating too few calories can be just as bad as eating too many.

I will get back to you on the Shakeology. I will call coach relations and look into it for you. I have been using Shakeology for over 3 months now and I love it. I take it every morning.

Have a great day.
  • Jdhendricks
    Options

I am following the 40% protein, 20 % carbs and 20% fat.

40%, 20%, 20% doesnt equal 100%. What are you doing with your extra 20%? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I am really trying to get this figured out. :)
  • teamryan90
    Options

I am following the 40% protein, 20 % carbs and 20% fat.

40%, 20%, 20% doesnt equal 100%. What are you doing with your extra 20%? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I am really trying to get this figured out. :)

Sorry it is 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat. I though I had edited and corrected that. The changes did not save. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. What day are you on in Insanity?
  • cowboy032587
    cowboy032587 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually do a 50% 30% 20% of protein carbs and fat. Has worked pretty well so far. I also have not been able to get the shakeology so I take the animal pak supplements and also drink a protein shake after my workouts.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have a question about calorie burns. It seems no matter how much I try, I don't seem to burn what is being touted for the program. I think the most I've burned was 396 doing plyo and I thought I was going to die afterwards! Ha ha!! I'm 5'6 and weigh 153, not sure that has much to do with it. I've had decent results so far. I've lost about 5lbs and several inches, it's just really discouraging to look down at my HRM and see that. I burned more running everyday than I have been with insanity and I feel like I'm expelling more energy doing Insanity. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!!
  • teamryan90
    Options
    I have a question about calorie burns. It seems no matter how much I try, I don't seem to burn what is being touted for the program. I think the most I've burned was 396 doing plyo and I thought I was going to die afterwards! Ha ha!! I'm 5'6 and weigh 153, not sure that has much to do with it. I've had decent results so far. I've lost about 5lbs and several inches, it's just really discouraging to look down at my HRM and see that. I burned more running everyday than I have been with insanity and I feel like I'm expelling more energy doing Insanity. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!!

Great question. 396 calories burned is a lot for barely over 40 minutes. A lot of women I know burn less than men. I thought I was going to die today too. I just did the same DVD. Great job on your weight loss. You are doing good.

First what brand heart rate monitor do you have? Also do you have the settings set correctly with your current weight, height, gender, and age. That makes a big difference. Every 10 pounds lost I changed my setting. Also have you read the reviews on your heart rate monitor to make sure it is accurate. There are a lot of bad reviews out there with some heart rate monitors. I have a Polar which is very popular and recommended.

You are also welcome to join my Facebook group. I posted a topic on this on my Facebook group page a few weeks ago. Let me know what brand you have and if you have your information set up correctly. My facebook group link is below if you or anyone else reading this posting is interested in joining.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527307200663612/
  • HPLW0705
    Options
    I guess it's not all about the calories burned...as long as I'm getting the wanted results I should just suck it upnand be happy, right?

I got a cheap HRM for my first one. It's a pyle brand. It had decent reviews. I plan on getting a polar one. My issue is with the watch...they drive me nuts! Polar watches look huge. I'm a sweater during these workouts and I can't stand how the watch traps it. Ewe. A friend of mine who is doing insanity with me has a polar FT7 and has roughly similar burns per workout. Hers may be a little higher than mine on some occasions.

I do see women burning around 600 for some of the workouts, so I was thinking I was doing something wrong!
  • teamryan90
    Options
    I guess it's not all about the calories burned...as long as I'm getting the wanted results I should just suck it upnand be happy, right?

I got a cheap HRM for my first one. It's a pyle brand. It had decent reviews. I plan on getting a polar one. My issue is with the watch...they drive me nuts! Polar watches look huge. I'm a sweater during these workouts and I can't stand how the watch traps it. Ewe. A friend of mine who is doing insanity with me has a polar FT7 and has roughly similar burns per workout. Hers may be a little higher than mine on some occasions.

I do see women burning around 600 for some of the workouts, so I was thinking I was doing something wrong!

Today I burned 611 calories in my Plyo Cardio Circuuit. I also have a Polar FT7. Some of the women burning the 600 range might be in the second month too. In the second month you will also be a lot stronger and the workouts become longer.

Also a heavier person then you doing the same workout and same intensity will burn more calories because of their extra weight. You are doing great. Keep it up.
  • Jdhendricks
    Options
    I completed day 6 today! Tough stuff!!
  • teamryan90
    Options
    I completed day 6 today! Tough stuff!!

Great job. Nice to have you in our group.
  • CarolinaGrace77
    Options
    To burn 395 calories walking/jogging you'd have to get in around 4 miles give or take. Insanity burns just about as much in a very short time period.

When I do Turbo Fire my reaction isn't, "I've only burned 300 calories." It's more like, "Holy *kitten*! I burned 300 calories in that short amount of time!"

Two options if you want to burn more:
    1) start building muscle which burns more calories all the time
    2) do some walking/jogging in addition to your insanity.
  • HPLW0705
    Options
    I don't have that reaction because I was burning more running for an hour than I am doing a 40 minute Insanity workout. I feel like I'm working much harder doing these workiuts than I am by simply running. I don't have the time to add something in addition to...I already give up enough fitting Insanity into my day. Furthermore, it's not that I'm unhappy with my calorie burns, it's more that many other people who have similar body types to my own are burning more. Because I would like to get the max benefit out of a 60 day workout, I figured I would ask about it. I'm a runner, I find it harder to get my heart rate up. I'm assuming that, along with other factors, is contributing to the below the claimed average. I have seen some great results, I'm back into my size 6 jeans again! Took only a month!
  • jennycasper
    jennycasper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Insane Friends,

My question is about (gasp!) missing a workout. Here is the situation: I am finishing the recovery week with my scheduled rest day on Sunday. On Tuesday afternoon I have to go on an overnight business trip and will be home very late Wednesday night. This makes my Wednesday Insanity workout (scheduled to be Max Cardio Conditioning) nearly impossible to manage. Which do you think would be the best option:
    1. Not rest Sunday but jump right into Week 5 and make Wednesday the rest day, picking up on Thursday
    2. Rest Sunday and Wednesday but not rest at the end of week 5
    3. Follow the plan but miss Wednesday chalking it up to life and picking up on Thursday with Thursday's workout
    4. Some brilliant idea that I haven't thought of yet.

I could run in the early morning on Wednesday as a replacement workout, but I don't see myself being able to do the Insanity workout at the hotel. I've been there and the room is dinky and the gym is lame.

I appreciate the ideas, feedback and coaching.
  • zeusbella
    zeusbella Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is what I am doing... I am in week 3 of Insanity. I went on a four-day vacation, so on Day 6 week 2, of Insanity, I did not do my workout because I left super early in the morning.

That Sunday (normally rest day), I did a 4 mile walk. This Monday and Tuesday, I was still on vacation, and still did my Insanity workout in the hotel room (super proud of myself for not skipping).

Today, should have been day 5, of week 3, but I was not feeling well last night, and this morning, so I took today as my REST day and will complete week 3 of Insanity Saturday/Sunday, then go right into week 4 on Monday.

I think you have to keep it as simple as possible for yourself, to keep it sustainable. Do what feels right to you, your body, and mind. In the end, you will make the right choice for you. Because you are only cheating yourself. You are the boss of you! :smile:
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just shift the Sunday rest day to Wednesday -- in fact, I did something similar to that in order to accomodate a 5k I was running last weekend (during my rest week) so that I could have my day off be the day before the 5k. =) (I did suck it up and do my workout AFTER the 5k, however...).

It'll really depend on you, but especially since it's coming off the lighter recovery week, I think you'd probably be fine if you wanted to jump right into the hell that is Month 2 on Sunday. =P
  • teamryan90
    Options
    If you feel that your body needs the rest on Sunday then I would rest. If you feel well enough to do it on Sunday then I would jump right in and then make Wednesday your rest day.

Make sure you listen to your body. Everyone is different. I would jump right in myself and start on Sunday and rest Wednesday. The best option would be to do it in the hotel room but that seems to be not an option.