Thyroid Diet Secrets:

Options
kizzes12
kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
Are You Eating Enough Calories to Lose Weight?
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/eatingenough.htm

Replies

• groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I suspected that I indeed WAS not eating enough calories and this confirmed it. Thanks for sharing it.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    That is entirely too much math for me, but needing to eat almost 3000 calories per day to maintain my weight is insane. I can't even imagine eating that much every day. I was eating no where near that before joining this site either.
  • tuesdayjourney
    Options
    For me, it was almost 3300! I can't imagine eating that much in a day!
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For example.. your weight 140 lbs... 140 divided by 2.2=63.63 63.63 x 25(to lose weight )=1590... if u have a thyroid conditon 1590 then less 200= 1390 / day :wink:
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I could easily eat 3000 calories a day! I would be a happy lady
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't anywhere near that much, but it was more than I'm eating now...
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I got 1900 calories at 186lbs! I gain weight at 1600, i cant imagine eating more. Currently set at 1400 although im at the breaking point of giving in again just soo miserable/fed up with everything. Nice happy post for today
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mine is almost the same that MFP calculated for me (1220 by MFP), and 1237 by above formula.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For me, it was almost 3300! I can't imagine eating that much in a day!

Did you divide by 2.2, or did you multiply?
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Very good link. It is accurate for me, if I go by my goal wt. it is exactly how many calories I ate to lose wt. & maintain. :drinker:
  • WineMaiden
    WineMaiden Posts: 27
    Options
    Well, the math is done in a way to maintain one's current weight which is the last thing I want to do. I put in a lower weight because that is what I desire to "maintain". Seems a bit high still but then again, if you are working you need the calories. Weight loss on 1200 or less calories a day cannot be sustained for healthy weight loss.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It does come out to a lot of calories, but I also have been unsuccessful on doing 1200 a day - because then I get hungry.
    It really doesn't consider muscle weight vs fat weight and height and bone density.
  • 240x30
    240x30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This has to be complete and utter BS. If eating 2970 daily made the scale, I'd be 140 right now and not 279.
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine came out at around 2000 calories a day which I think is pretty reasonable
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't see where she says that activity is factored into this, is she including it or are you supposed to eat back a portion of your calories burned on top of this? My guess would be that yes you should because it mirrors a TDEE calculation in a way, but with the "200 calorie thyroid factor" built in. This seems like a very general assumption (200 calories applies to every person, both male and female, all different weights)?
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    this works for me...I eat 1450 which is under and am loosing slowly...1 lb per week but I do exercise alot to keep my metabolism up.

Maintenance at 1945 would be heavenly...I can't wait !!!!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My resulting maintenance calories are quite similar to mfp calculations with the settings on sedentary lifestyle. My heart rate is quite low, even on the correct medication dose, so my hrm helps me to get an idea of how much i need to eat to maintain. I must need to eat a bit more though, because i keep losing weight but at a very slow rate.
  • fit4future
    fit4future Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mine came in at around 2000 - I was on 1200 but have recently upped to 1400 and increased my strength training classes - will see how it goes :)
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't see where she says that activity is factored into this, is she including it or are you supposed to eat back a portion of your calories burned on top of this? My guess would be that yes you should because it mirrors a TDEE calculation in a way, but with the "200 calorie thyroid factor" built in. This seems like a very general assumption (200 calories applies to every person, both male and female, all different weights)?

For me it looks like a TDEE calculation for a sedentary person. I'm 5'7'', weigh 145 lbs - my BMR is 1412 and TDEE 1694, here I get 1440 kcal to lose weight, 1768 kcal to maintain.
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I assume that you would eat all your exercise calories back ... But I lift weights so wouldn't know how many to eat back of those ..!!
    With my weight I'm the same as the example above ... No way I could eat that low ...! I eat 1800+ ..! And I'm still hungry lol
    I do 90 mins cardio a week and 90 mins of lifting per week .!
    I take thyroxine ... And my bloods are normalised .. I know by rights everything else like metabolism should normalise too but I struggle ... I have lost weight tho abd not in bad shape .. It's the weight lifting that's made the difference for me ..!! But I seem to have to worker harder than your average person to keep weight off .. Soon as eye is off the ball iv had it..!