salad dressing

Options
I have been using buttermilk ranch on my salads daily....are there any better, healthier, fatty dressings to use daily? I guess i am transitioning to trying to be more whole food and natural food.... less processed..

Replies

• ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh and any thoughts on eating peanut butter????? I eat peanut butter daily..
  • jensyth
    jensyth Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Regarding Peanut Butter, I love eating 1-2 tablespoons as a snack. Not only does it help alleviate some of my 'sweet tooth' cravings, but if you check the nutritional info, most peanut butters seem to be surprisingly low in carbs (like 5g net carbs for 2 tablespoons I think) which I imagine 'should' be fine. But then again, I'm only just starting into keto and not sure if I'm going hardcore enough :)
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a caesar salad everyday! I buy the Renee`s Creamy Caesar dressing. It has 0 carbs and is very good! Of course, being a caesar dressing, it's a little higher calorie (50 cal/tbs) but I need those extra calories cause I have a hard time reaching my 1200 calorie goal most days!
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a caesar salad everyday! I buy the Renee`s Creamy Caesar dressing. It has 0 carbs and is very good! Of course, being a caesar dressing, it's a little higher calorie (50 cal/tbs) but I need those extra calories cause I have a hard time reaching my 1200 calorie goal most days!

good to know! I LOVE Caesar dressing but I usually buy Ranch because most of the Caesar's i've seen tends to be higher in carbs. Thanks!
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressing is Cindy's Kitchen Blue Cheese Dressing. I buy it from Whole Foods. 0 carbs, 12 g fat, 110 calories. Sometimes if I'm running low on my fat for the day, I incorporate this with dinner to help. It's delicious -- on salad, meat, veggies, or on its own.

As far as peanut butter, I have gone from 2x a week to daily and haven't seen any negative side effects. I made fat bombs a few days ago with unsweetened peanut butter. I'm also a fan of Justin's Almond Butter packets. I don't think it's problematic as long as you read the ingredients. I also try to be "whole foods" esque with my keto eating, so beware that a lot of more commercial, processed peanut butters out there use high-fructose corn syrup and other nasties.
  • thugstrife
    thugstrife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Here are links to recipes of some of my favorite types of salad dressings to make:

Garlic buttermilk dressing: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garlic-and-Buttermilk-Salad-Dressing-236564

Balsamic vinegar reduction (usually I add other spices like basil, garlic or a bay leaf too): http://www.cookthink.com/reference/2889/How_to_reduce_balsamic_vinegar

Chunky blue cheese dressing: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/absolutely-the-best-rich-and-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing-ever/

It's also fun to experiment with different vinaigrette combinations, especially in the hot months.
  • greencup13
    greencup13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating salad every day for lunch at work for the past 9 months.

WARNING this salad dressing is ADDICTIVE.

So i just buy any ranch dressing...and pour half of it into another bottle and fill the rest up with red wine vinegar. Seriously amazing. (if you like vinegar) I like this method because its cuts the ranch calories but besides that it makes it amazing! Everyone at work hates me because "your ranch smells amazing" ahaha they envy my salads.
  • zbour
    zbour Posts: 9
    Options
    This might sound a little weird and probably isn't the best thing for you, but I like to use Buffalo Wild Wing's parmesan garlic sauce as my salad dressing.