Crossfit - Scared Newbie

Options
13»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That's because you either haven't been injured doing a WOD yet, or haven't seen any of your friends limping around in a cast because they tried to do something at Crossfit that was beyond their ability so the coach would stop yelling at them.

If you let someone bully you into an injury, even a coach, then that is on YOU not them or the sport. "Athlete know thyself."
    I have yet to have a coach, or any trainer, "yell" at me for anything. CrossFit isn't BUDS or SpecOps training so someone screaming at you during a WOD is unnecessary. Plus it's just dumb, what smart trainer would ever injure off their client base.
    But again, you don't have to believe me, but you SHOULD take the NY Times seriously!

LOL! Really? The NY Times? BWAHAHAHAHAHA. I can't take you seriously if you take the NY Times seriously.

janebshaw, we get that you hate CF. Don't blame a sport for your lack of ability and intellect, or the lack of said abilities by your friends. Now move along please.

The truly funny thing is that the NYT article isn't bashing CF at all. It starts of talking about a guy who jumped into a WOD after having not having exercised for two years and met Uncle Rhambo. Then it goes on to talk about to coaches who all say that should be avoided, you need to ease into it, etc.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I started at 330 lbs and for the most part finished last in every wod...but the guys coming in first and second were cheering me on the whole way..we have from senior citizen to accomplished athlete...I never felt the sense of family until I started crossfit...stay with it and it will get better...

I'm about 290 so this is good news for me. I've been exercising long enough to know how to properly pace myself so I'm not too worried about it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That's because you either haven't been injured doing a WOD yet, or haven't seen any of your friends limping around in a cast because they tried to do something at Crossfit that was beyond their ability so the coach would stop yelling at them.

If you let someone bully you into an injury, even a coach, then that is on YOU not them or the sport. "Athlete know thyself."
    I have yet to have a coach, or any trainer, "yell" at me for anything. CrossFit isn't BUDS or SpecOps training so someone screaming at you during a WOD is unnecessary. Plus it's just dumb, what smart trainer would ever injure off their client base.
    But again, you don't have to believe me, but you SHOULD take the NY Times seriously!

LOL! Really? The NY Times? BWAHAHAHAHAHA. I can't take you seriously if you take the NY Times seriously.

janebshaw, we get that you hate CF. Don't blame a sport for your lack of ability and intellect, or the lack of said abilities by your friends. Now move along please.

The truly funny thing is that the NYT article isn't bashing CF at all. It starts of talking about a guy who jumped into a WOD after having not having exercised for two years and met Uncle Rhambo. Then it goes on to talk about to coaches who all say that should be avoided, you need to ease into it, etc.

I know!

And it even gives examples of people who it is actually good training for - which I pointed out to Heath_gal/Jane when I received my welcome email - that I fall in that category.

ETA - almost all of the injuries were due to the person not the workout itself. One lady knew it was too heavy and didn't want to waste the time lowering the weight.
  • astafivgas
    astafivgas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you stuck with it. I've been CrossFitting (with a few lull's to run some half marathons) for over 4 years now. While I haven't been doing it to get into competition shape, I have seen amazing strength gains and enjoyed the great sense of a community focused on health, well-being, and lifting heavy stuff.

My first class, I couldn't press a 15# bar overhead multiple times (that's how bad my upper body strength was), and I thought was was in pretty good shape (cycling, running, doing stuff at the local Crunch gym). CrossFit has allowed me to also branch out and try some new stuff like half-marathons, CF inter-gym comps, etc. Things that normally I would shy away from. (Edit: I can now clean and jerk over 100# and back squat 1.25x+ bodyweight as well as have improved my half marathon by a good 10+ mins, etc etc - and it's still a work in progress).

Just be sure that you focus on foundations (and are taking a foundations class) and make it more about moving WELL and not over-exceeding your capacity. The strength will come with time, it's performing the movements safely and learning how your body moves and what your strengths and weaknesses are that takes work.

And with all the commentary about CrossFit injuries, I have seen plenty of people get hurt over the past 4 years. 99% of that is from people being stupid and over-doing it, pushing through fatigue and forgetting about their form, and running marathons & ultras.

If you are smart, you will automatically gravitate toward a gym with trainers who are certified in more than just "CF LEVEL 1" which is pretty much open to most people without any other training background. At my gym, the owner and a few of the coaches have degrees that focus on body mechanics and fitness as well as a slew of CF certs and a history of experience.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^Haven't even done a WOD yet but the coaches at my box are very big on form and technique before time.
  • photogmama
    photogmama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    so bizarre as she told me she hadn't done crossfit...get a hobby, jane, whoever you are...
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Haven't even done a WOD yet but the coaches at my box are very big on form and technique before time.

That is the key to a good CF Box... form, technique and safety should always be first.

I got my form corrected twice today during the WOD. So important and glad my coach did it. Once corrected the lifts got easier LOL.