"Desexualizing self" and clothing (men)

12346»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I have never (or barely ever) bought branded clothing. Unless the brands have started using magical cloth instead of the same cheap Chinese factories as everyone else is using since the last time I checked, you are still just basically paying for the label (and arguably better designs - copied by the others, cheaper shops within weeks).
    Premium denim generally, but not always, just has a better feel to it. Sometimes it just feels softer, stretchier, and more comfortable. And usually cheaper jeans feel more like sandpaper cardboard, but I've found pretty decent jeans for relatively cheap plenty of times. I've also bought designer jeans at Costco before, but I never step foot into a Walmart.

I agree about jeans. I found Levi's and Arizonas (JCPenny brand) to be the most comfortable of all. Least for me? Wrangler's
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    @Florian - if you've never worn designer jeans then you'd never know the difference. I think that would be true to say?? And people dont notice the difference either, unless they're specifically into labels. My jeans mostly come from M&S but I dont really wear jeans at the moment (too fat!! lol) so it's not an issue to buy a great pair. However, my fave, fave, fave pair of jeans are from GAP and I really hope to fit back into them one day!!! :laugh: My ex used to love his jeans so would buy branded names, so I know a bit about them.

There's nothing wrong with Primark - you're right, they just copy designer cuts, use cheap material and slave labour, hence why their clothes are so cheap.....lol..........Dad cheap jeans you'd more find in a more old fashioned outlet, like the old C&A or Woolworths!!

Whatever or wherever, If they fit you properly and you're on a budget then buy them off the peg in the high street - cool. But honestly, the cut and the cloth is different if you pay more, plus they last a LOT longer! And if you're having problems with the cut of the crotch (as per OP) then I bet you'll find a decent, well fitting pair if you visit a jean outfitters.

Like everything in life, 'you get what you pay for'. It's not about being flash or into designer labels, it's just about buying something of better quality ........ if you can afford to!! :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I have never (or barely ever) bought branded clothing. Unless the brands have started using magical cloth instead of the same cheap Chinese factories as everyone else is using since the last time I checked, you are still just basically paying for the label (and arguably better designs - copied by the others, cheaper shops within weeks).
    Premium denim generally, but not always, just has a better feel to it. Sometimes it just feels softer, stretchier, and more comfortable. And usually cheaper jeans feel more like sandpaper cardboard, but I've found pretty decent jeans for relatively cheap plenty of times. I've also bought designer jeans at Costco before, but I never step foot into a Walmart.

I agree about jeans. I found Levi's and Arizonas (JCPenny brand) to be the most comfortable of all. Least for me? Wrangler's

This is key!! Jeans are a very personal thing!! My ex used to swear by Levi 501s (I dont even know if they still sell them, I'm going back a few years), but that specific cut was perfect for him.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I have two pairs of favorite jeans. One I've had for years from walmart that just fits perfect and is really comfy. The second pair is brand name Apple Bottom or something I dunno. My friend gave them to me but they fit fab on mah booty. But they tend to be more expensive and I don't like spending more than $20 on pants.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511

wiwt.jpg

wiwt2.jpg
    I've no idea how old you are, but this is do-able for the average man. You can certainly tone down the color but he has a good rhythm going. Plain tee-shirt with a cardigan/button-down over it, well-tailored pants and a great shoe.

Yeah. If I ever saw me in these clothes, I'd punch myself in the face.

If you ever see me in an outfit like this, please burn it off of me!

Okay, but only to see you naked.

Why would you want to see anyone who would wear this naked?

lol if it were poncho we would assume he had been kidnapped and forced into those clothes

I'd ask for a potato sac as an alternative
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Duplicate
  • kimad

I agree. They hold their color better too and dont fade. I upgraded from old navy to lucky brand jeans and they are night and day.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

I love this to show the difference between gap and old navy jeans compared to a little more expensive jean.
  • kimad
    http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

I love this to show the difference between gap and old navy jeans compared to a little more expensive jean.
    I can't cut and paste the link on my iPad but I could show you the jeans in my closet lol
    Old navy jeans lose their dark wash in a few weeks to months. Even American eagle jeans which really don't cost that much more (if any) haven't faded on me whatsoever in a years time. I think I paid $75 for my 'lucky brand' jeans but they are fantastic and worth every cent. They wont need to be replaced near as often, if at all, so I bet I spent less in the long run.

Eta: this is assuming your link agrees with me that the quality isn't there long term. :)
    Ok I went online and saw the link - not what I had imagined but well done. It's really quite true.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    I have two pairs of favorite jeans. One I've had for years from walmart that just fits perfect and is really comfy. The second pair is brand name Apple Bottom or something I dunno. My friend gave them to me but they fit fab on mah booty. But they tend to be more expensive and I don't like spending more than $20 on pants.
    Do you also have some "boots with the fur?"
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member

aaaahahahahahaaa! I should, just for funsies
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member

aaaahahahahahaaa! I should, just for funsies

We have a bunch of decently priced little clothing stores down here.... I dont pay more then 30 bucks for my jeans... Also theres an outlet mall around the corner from my house so even if I want more expensive jeans I could still get the mcheaper.... My best advice when it comes to jeans is try every pair on before you buy them... I have a big butt no matter how much I way (thanks hispanic genes) so I vary in pants size even in the same brand of jean
  • fullofwhimsy
    fullofwhimsy Posts: 218
    I don't think men's clothing has the ability to sexualize men at all the way women's can do...unless you wear tight leather pants, a speedo or take your shirt off altogether! Um...please don't do any of that btw.
    I personally like a more casual look on a guy..kind of a slightly preppy surfer look. Like you just got off your sailboat! Lol! T- shirts and cargo pants and board shorts are hot! Though...I think the main thing for guys is timing...ie. Don't wear your cargos to a nice restaurant or at a wedding. In my opinion, every guy should own a great fitting suit, both a trendy and classic pair of dress shoes, a couple of great dress shirts, a pant other than jeans and a pair of great jeans with a good wash and fit. Other than that...casual works for me. I am not a huge fan of the overly styled or metro men's looks...and skinny jeans are way, way too young and feminine for my taste.

Admittedly, clothing here in Vancouver is very casual and geared towards the outdoors and layering...
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I don't think men's clothing has the ability to sexualize men at all the way women's can do...unless you wear tight leather pants, a speedo or take your shirt off altogether! Um...please don't do any of that btw.
    I personally like a more casual look on a guy..kind of a slightly preppy surfer look. Like you just got off your sailboat! Lol! T- shirts and cargo pants and board shorts are hot! Though...I think the main thing for guys is timing...ie. Don't wear your cargos to a nice restaurant or at a wedding. In my opinion, every guy should own a great fitting suit, both a trendy and classic pair of dress shoes, a couple of great dress shirts, a pant other than jeans and a pair of great jeans with a good wash and fit. Other than that...casual works for me. I am not a huge fan of the overly styled or metro men's looks...and skinny jeans are way, way too young and feminine for my taste.

Wait a sec, I remember a topic on here that almost every women on here agreed that
    tumblr_lz258lg4id1r7z707o1_400.png?w=523
    Nevemind, I missed the rest of the post were you do include a man owning a great fitting suit. Damn coffee. It's not working. I need to switch brands again.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    I had so many years of paying $50+ for a pair of uncomfortable, ugly jeans at the Big and Tall stores that I am perfectly fine paying $10 at Wal Mart, They may not be the best jeans in the world but they are an improvement from the garbage I wore for years.
  • kimad

Wait a sec, I remember a topic on here that almost every women on here agreed that
    tumblr_lz258lg4id1r7z707o1_400.png?w=523
    Nevemind, I missed the rest of the post were you do include a man owning a great fitting suit. Damn coffee. It's not working. I need to switch brands again.

I'll admit I never used to fine Ryan Gosling attractive until that movie he was in with Steve Carrell (sp?) Maybe Love and Other Drugs? He's had me ever since lol