What are your favorite, healthy gaining foods?

Options
krapanos
krapanos Posts: 9 Member
What are some of your favorite HEALTHY foods that are high in either calories, fat, or protein? (or all of the above!)

I am trying to build up a bigger list of foods to snack on throughout the day that will help me reach my goal.

One of my biggest challenges, is that I have Crohn's Disease, so I do not tolerate all foods very well (especially high lactose dairy, high-fibre, nuts, skins, seeds, fresh fruits & veggies) I also can't drink whey protein so I use Ensure plus calories to get my extra boost. (Or....Boost!, lol!) I'm starting to get pretty bored of them though, so I need to add some variety to my diet.

Also, if anyone has issues with mal-absorption like I do, is there anything out there to help us get more of the nutrients and calories out of the foods we eat?

Replies

• PacManBrah
    PacManBrah Posts: 17
    Options
    main staple I use is oatmeal and lactose free milk, I usually dread drinking shakes but 2 cups milk to 1 cup oats blended with a blendtec blender makes it a lot easier
  • ChelleyCredible
    ChelleyCredible Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and peanut butter and a protein powder mixed gives great results!
  • christinezittel
    christinezittel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk, plus, what they said above me :wink: I did have almonds, but you can't do nuts. What about a sunflower butter?
  • kerve13
    kerve13 Posts: 13
    Options
    Without nuts and fruit, I would recommend different varieties of protein powders. There's a lot out there (soy, egg, meat-based, other veggie-based) with widely varying tastes and textures, though they all usually cost more than whey. Mix with a non-lactose or fake milk to add more calories. If dehydrated peanut butter doesn't bother you, I always hear that recommended as something to add to shakes.
    Or you can get a massive bag of beef jerky and always have some with you. Mmmm, beefy.
  • sylwiabab
    sylwiabab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey,

This might be a dumb question, but you mixed oat meal in its most raw form? I have a hard time with getting to my 145 lbs "dream weight". I'm at 132 now, and it seems like it's impossible for me to get any heavier than that. I'll appreciate all the advice you might have;)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Hey,

This might be a dumb question, but you mixed oat meal in its most raw form? I have a hard time with getting to my 145 lbs "dream weight". I'm at 132 now, and it seems like it's impossible for me to get any heavier than that. I'll appreciate all the advice you might have;)

I thought that was strange too. I east my oatmeal regular, but I add protein powder to it. I actually dump a lot of stuff into the oatmeal - protein powder, lactose free milk, mixed nuts and raisins, and fruit. I try to have a big breakfast to set me up for the day. I usually get to my goal of trying to get .5 per week gain, but also find it difficult to gain due to a lot of activity.
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat AIP (autoimmune protocol). I eat various forms of meat, seafood, and vegetables. If anything looks like it isn't fatty enough already, I douse it in fat of whatever kind... my go-to is a high quality, peppery olive oil. Coconut oil gets a lot of use too. For snacks I eat avocado, homemade liver pate on apples (Mickey Trescott's recipe), and homemade dehydrated snacks. I also plan to get into fat bombs, but haven't yet. I also take hydrochloric acid and digestive enzyme, etc supplements, because otherwise even the healthiest food just sits in my belly and bloats until I get hungry again.
  • Fruitfulvine2
    Fruitfulvine2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk with oatmeal and in shakes. 1 cup of coconut milk is 552 calories so I basically try to add it wherever i can. I add it to things I cook like gravies and soups. I add powdered chocolate and sugar for Chocolate Coconut Milk - easy 700 calories.

Peanut butter packs a punch too. I just slather it on bread, crackers.

So a cup of choco coco milk with bread or crackers and peanut butter can be an option for approximately 900 calorie snack.