Let's get started

Options

Replies

• mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Crackers!

'If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.'

Well if that is the case, I will forever remain 4lbs from target on my WI day!! So I gave myself a good talking to on Friday morning as I sat down to prepare my weekly shopping list. My weekend treats are the main obstacle standing between me and a weight loss each and every week.

I decided; there would be no more donuts as the daughter who I supposedly buy them for is no longer bothered if she has one or not, whilst I am if there's one sat with my name on in the store cupboard, I can't wait to sink my teeth into it and like BRACKEN said in her post refined carbs start me off for the weekend on the wrong foot. I only bought 1 packet of family sized crisps instead of the usual 2 since the daughter is out at youth club on Saturdays. Of course my real dilemma was my ice-cream treat. I cannot trust myself with a tub of ice-cream, one spoonful in and I end up polishing the whole tub off over the weekend... and then spend the following week working it off again only to put it back on again the next weekend.... Cornettos and ice-lollys I can buy in packets and they will last a month in the freezer. But I also cannot resist a bargain and on Friday ice-cream was on offer anyway, plus there was an additional 25% off and I had a 15% discount voucher to use up!

Well I did buy in bulk (as I have lots of family coming to stay over the next month, yes great excuse) but until I can safely share it with them my good friend is happy to put it in her half empty freezer and keep it out of my grasp. Just as well because the dishwasher broke on Saturday night and if there had been a tub in the house I'd have stuffed it down in sheer frustration from the situation! Instead I find myself today still cross but not wearing an extra layer of ice-cream.

Normally Monday mornings as I mentioned last week which is when I log in with my 'Ultimate Log Chart' I always weigh more than I do on Fridays so it will be interesting to see what the scales say tomorrow. BRACKEN the log has been a great help because even though I'm still 4 pounds away from my target (on Fridays) that is a great improvement from the 7lbs I started with on this journey!
  • new82day
    new82day Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Well, I think that some of that 5lb may have gone back on over the weekend! We had another trip to the seaside, more fish and chips and ice cream yesterday and I am feeling a little bit guilty today. However I know that tomorrow is a fast day, and a couple of fasts will sort me out! I cooked the Hairy Dieters Chicken Jalfrezi last night in preparation for tea tonight, so I am really looking forward to that and hope all of those lovely flavours have developed. I have also prepped up a curried potato salad, using my scrummy easiyo yoghurt - we have new potatoes galore at the moment in my veg garden, so I was trying to find an interesting way to use them.

Hubbys work load has kicked off today, but I am hoping that I can use my time on a my own a little more wisely and pull out some of those dusty workout DVD's!

Bracken - Im not sure whether we commented on this last year, but my birthday is the day before yours on the 8th! I don't have any plans this year, partly because hubby is away, but will treat myself somehow im sure!
    MITM - I am currently sharing your ice-cream love (but think you win as Im a seasonal lover where-as you are a hardcore all year round!) I haven't got the ice-cream maker out yet this year, but may have to soon.

Hope everyone else is good, Im going to have to dash again, I must come on here when Im not in a hurry for my long waffle!! xx
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi New8, sounds like you had a lovely weekend! I need your advice please.....I have just bought a blender to make smoothies. The recipes I have taken off the BBC good food web site suggest using no fat, sugar free Greek yoghurt. I bought some on our weekly shop and it was 9 pound for a 500ml tub!! So I remembered you have just purchased a yoghurt maker so I hope you can help me!! I will be buying one when I come home to UK in August so any advice off yourself or fellow crackers would be gratefully received! Also if anyone has VERY low cal smoothie or soup recipes that would be fab..... Finally, I am still having updates on my Hotmail account but can't find then on MFP. I know MITM kindly told me to look in Profile, but I had no joy there today trying to find Caroles message to me. One more thing(!!!) I have no idea why my weight loss went to 3lb lost as I did not WI this week with MFP!! I did lose 1lb but completely forgot to WI. x x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BM - I found Carole's comment! Go to your profile and you need to go right down to a comment you made 5 days ago which Carole replied to 9 hours ago!
  • new82day
    Options
    Hi MITM - £9 for 500ml is crazy money!!!! I got mine from Lakeland for £7.14 - just had a nosey and it still half price. I would also advise to get some extra jars when you are over too. I like to do this so you can have a couple on the go at the same time(they last 2 weeks in fridge). Each sachet cost around £2.70ish and make 1 litre of yoghurt. They do a standard range, lower fat range, speciality greek range, biolife, premium, yoghurt and bits, drinking yoghurt range. The low fat greek is 132cals for 200ml, which I think is good. It so so easy to do - you half fill the jar with cold tap water, add the sachet, shake and then top up with tap water. Then boil the kettle and fill the flask to the top of baffle and leave for 8-12hours (I leave mine closer to 12 so its thicker). Then refrigerate. There are recipes on the web where you keep back 3 tbsp and then use that to 'grow' the next lot of yoghurt, but I havent tried as I was put off by poor success rate comments! Honestly, cant rave about Easiyo yoghurt enough, love it!

As for smoothies, Im not a huge fan but have looked in Easiyo and they have a
    Strawb one 1/2punnet of strawbs, 1 cup milk, 1/2cup (Easiyo) Yoghurt.
    Sunshine special 1/2cup pineapple juice, 1tbsp honey, 1/2cup yoghurt.
    but this one could be your favourite.....Vanilla Yoghurt milkshake
    1 cup milk, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2cup yog, 1/4tsp vanilla essence, 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream!!!!

PS.....Easiyo also do an ice cream product range!!!
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello all. The Canada Day holiday weekend is coming to a close and I did quite well food and diet wise though not perfect of course. The exercise was great actually and the eating was good until today when I got off track this afternoon, though not disasterously so. My downfall was -no surprise ice cream related- but actually frozen yoghurt. Suddenly we have an explosion here of frozen yoghurt bars. I'm not sure if they are so popular in the U.K and elsewhere. Ours have migrated from the U.S. Their angle is that they are self-serve (I'll explain for anyone who has not visited one and apologize if everyone has and I should be aware they are so widely available). They all have a number (8 or more) of flavours and the first thing is, you can have a sample of any you want. You serve yourself the yoghurt from the machines and then can choose any of a huge variety of toppings, ranging from fresh fruit (at the best) to any manner of cookie, cake, candy, chocolates, nuts, plus a variety of sauces. Of course, I have tried several of them. One of the good things is that most of them tell the calorie counts of the frozen yoghurt and some of them are quite low - one flavour I really like is only 53 cal/100 g. serving so if you add fresh blueberries and raspberries and even a little sauce, I think you can do quite well. The trick is to stay away from the high calorie ones (some 140 cal/100 g.) and avoid the sugary toppings. I must admit that I had too much yoghurt today and went rather wild with the toppings. However, I feel that I'll get back on track tomorrow and put it behind me. I'm jumping to the exercise thread now as I want to log there as exercise was much more successful!
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    MITM, you are star!! I am just out for my first walk today so will sit down later and follow your advice. Thanks again!
    New8. thank you so much for all the good advice. I am definitely buying one! However the one problem I will have is buying enough sachets to last me til my next UK trip, and that's always assuming my luggage isn't searched and they are taken off me as food! Still worth a try though. Smoothies sound good too, thanks x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BRACKEN - I have not come across frozen yoghurt bars but I have to say I was drooling as I read your description, it sounds like my kind of dessert!!!!

This weekend my best friend from college gets off the Royal Princess cruise ship in Venice, which he has been cruising on for the past 2 weeks (with his husband) to get his bearings on the ship, for when he takes over as General Manager in August. My husband asked so shall we go up on a mountain with them?!!! Shall we go up on a mountain?!!! My friends will not have walking shoes or rucksacks; the only walking they ever do is getting from one end to the other on that massive ship! They will have sunglasses, open necked shirts, showing off all year round tans from living in Mexico and be wearing unsuitable trousers for walking anywhere slightly uphill and they will just want to sit at an outside cafe in the sun and drink wine!!! I don't drink wine so I will be indulging in my very first ice coffee of the year (!) which of course is alot of calories which I need to work off in advance. Apologies for any punctuation errors my computer thinks I'm writing in german and keeps correcting my grammar and it is driving me crazy!!!
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    LOL, your friends idea of walking sounds very similar to mine! Hope you all have a fab time. I have trouble with my laptop too. I have no british pound signs and the keys (according to my children) are not in correct alignment with a GB laptop. It also changes my spelling to American Eg colour to color. Oh well!!!
    I just wondered if anyone has read the post by Hanfordrose..."so, what can happen in two weeks?". I cried reading it, it is so inspirational and such a lovely story. I first read it a few days ago and came across it again today. I have thought of the courage of this lady often and just wanted to share it with you all x x
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    PS, I have just noticed a ticker thingy has now appeared on the bottom of my posts, I have no idea how it got there and the weight loss is wrong anyhow!! x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BM - is that the blog where she posted the photos of herself and the swimming sessions? Anything that woman writes is amazing, I've read alot of her blogs and the one about her dead sister stuck with me.
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I awoke to another day of heavy rain today but have managed to do some walking and biking which I'll log on the exercise site. Yesterday a friend and I went to see the movie, Before Midnight. Has anyone else seen it? It is part of a trilogy, the previous two being Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are the main actors. This third movie is to me much darker than the first two, also much rawer, but very engaging. The movie is very, very "talky' so if that is not your cup of tea it would not appeal. The character development is very detailed and I thought Julie Delpy gave a very brave performance physically too. She is an extremely attractive woman but it in this movie, which takes place nine years after the previous and puts her near 40, she looks slightly heavy and sort of pudding-like. This seems uncommon when leading female actors in romantic roles are so inevitably very thin and toned and polished. The one thing I found somewhat unbelievable was that they could walk around the beautiful Greek town in which they were holidaying and not stop and pay more attention to their surroundings.
    MITM, I hope you enjoy your visit with your old friend from earlier times. I think it is lovely to have friends that go back in time with you. After I finish posting here, I am phoning an old friend from high school who married and moved near Wolverhampton. It is amazing, but now that I think of it I have known her for fifty years! I'm phoning today, partly to thank her for some material she sent me, and partly because I heard a radio program today where people were phoning in their recollections of seeing the Beatles,
    as Paul McCartney is on tour in Canada at the moment. My friend and I went to see them on both their tours of Toronto. She favoured Lennon, I favoured McCartney (which I believe a lot of people would say shows I don't have as deep an understanding of music- true.) Must log exercise now. Enjoy your weekend all.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening Crackers!

A very quick post as my guests make their way to bed!!

BRACKEN - I've heard of this film, as I read a review thinking this sounds interesting and then realised parts 1 & 2 a good friend had told me to see, long, long ago so I recently ordered those which my parents will be bringing out to me. I thought of you this evening. I was reading the blog from 'diaries of a nearly dead man' and there is this line 'truthfully, I had only desired to swoon over myself in the mirror before (the congestive heart failure) now I wanted to be healthy and fit too.' You are so right BRACKEN the fitness part is most important. Lots of the oldies here (80's) think nothing of walking up to the church graveyard in my part from the lower village. My friend and I drove past a 'regular' now using a stick and my friend who is overweight commented that she doubted if she could walk up as the last time she did at Christmas time, she was in such a mess when she arrived at my home! Not funny as she is larger than ever.... And LMV there was a line for you and me too 'we all have 6 pack abs, some are just shrink wrapped'!!!

Right, I have work to do I have LOTS of schlipkrapfen to count before I retire to my bed. Oh and I had such a lovely time with my friends but it did involve a lot of ice cream - they insisted (they know me well!) and what with my husband doing all the cooking ooh so for a change I will be avoiding the scales tomorrow and will wait to see what they say on Friday. But last Friday I was on top of the world as I'd somehow managed to lose a pound - I don't know how but I sure know how to gain a few pounds easily!
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers,

Firstly, Happy Birthday New8! I hope you've had a really lovely day.

So, is it hot enough for everyone? It's been absolutely glorious here, great for getting out in the garden and walking on the beach! We had a lovely week-end. Living in the land of rugby meant that everything stopped for the Lions match on Saturday and what a fantastic victory it was. The boys performed so well and it was wonderful that a local lad Leigh Halfpenny won man of the match and the man of the series award. Well done him!

And as if that wasn't enough, Andy Murray was sensational yesterday and made us all feel so proud. It brought back some of the heady, feel good atmosphere of the Olympics last summer.

I have to confess that sparkling wine was drunk and sausages from the BBQ were eaten but it was a fun week-end basking in the sun and enjoying some great sporting moments. I'm not sure what effect all that will have at weigh in tomorrow. I'm fasting today to try and claw back some of the damage. I also did quite a punishing run in the heat, but I won't be holding my breath for a loss. On my 7lb challenge I'm 4lbs down with 2 weeks to go. If I work hard I should make it. How is everyone else doing?

I've picked another big bowl of strawberries today so shall be making some more strawberry and rhubarb jam later. On the taste test with our guests last w-e the strawberry and rhubarb beat the plain strawberry so that's the one I'm making.

Right, off to make some salads and to find something to go on the BBQ. As I'm fasting I think it'll be a salmon steak.

Be good all!
    xx
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi LMV - my you sound on top of the world! glad you are enjoying life so much. I think you will be OK on the weight loss front - but good luck anyway! Yes its been hot here and I had hoped to go for a swim in the sea this evening but ended up not getting away from work until 6.00pm which was much too late to dip in the North Sea - maybe in August!

The potatoes are going absolutely wild in the garden - I think there might be some potatoes under there!

happy Birthday to New8 too - hope you've had/are having a lovely day and being treated to something special tonight.

The surgery was fairly quiet this morning (I thought sunshine and Andy Murray - thank you GOD!) but this afternoon they all came out of the woodwork - they must have been taking a lie in after the excitement of the weekend!

A friend has put me on to Linseed as an antidote for a bit of constipation - I don't know if anyone else has tried it but it seems to be working very well for me.....

Take care and looking forward to hearing from you all

PB
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    On the other hand the Dairy Queen is the perfect way to end a meal..........
  • new82day
    Options
    Hi all,

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Bracken, happy birthday to you!! (Hope you liked my finest voice with that!)

The sun is shining, and I am starting again after feeling like I have fallen off the waggon over the weekend. Thanks for all of the birthday wishes - I had a lovely day, but because I had the big 3-0 the previous year, I just wanted a quiet celebration this year. I think I am feeling a bit of pity too that I am growing older, expression lines forming, skin less tight and boobs going down south! Sad case hey! Anyway today is a start of the 31 chapter, and I am fasting today. I have also been out for a walk this morning as I am wanting to increase my exercise not only for weight loss but for a more positive mind. I am having a lot of problems with Daisy(terrible 3's I think!) lately, and feeling quite stressed out about it. She is having huge temper tantrums - yesterdays lasted 45minutes involving throwing, hitting, screaming, and trying to be very controlling of situations and of me. She wont do as she is asked, and generally being a horrible child saying 'I don't like you', 'your not my friend' not only to me but to others. Im getting quite down about it as I see it as a reflection of my parenting skills, but know also that it is just a phase and I must try to keep strong. That's off my chest now.

The tennis was excellent wasn't it - are we all inspired to get out there with a tennis racket now?

Carole - Linseed tip very helpful, and I am going to give it a go. I tend to suffer a bit around my fast days, so hopefully this can help.

LMV - Have forgotten what my starting point was on the 1/2 stone plan will have to do some homework and work out where I am!

Right, must go and plan what I am eating for today.....going to use those cals more wisely today! Also have to prepare our account for VAT quarter whilst Daisy is at preschool today and tomorrow....fun, fun, fun!! xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Re: the linseed just sprinkle a dessert spoonful on cereal/muesli or put it in a smoothie - its really quite tasty (I'm using golden linseed).
    New8 - children do have a way of winding us up don't they? As you say its the terrible 3's and she will get over it (probably around the time she starts her own family :-) (Just joking). I'm sure she will get over it but I can understand how difficult it is to deal with on a daily basis.

Well have had a rather pleasant sort of day so far - work at 8.00 and loads done then off to swim at 12.30pm followed by a big lunch and now I'm back to work until 8.00pm

Sun is shining all is well.

Take care

PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Woe is me. Week end festivities have led to a 1lb gain. Dim ots, I'll remove it again! xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    whoops - its only a pound though. You'll get it off next week! I have visitors for the weekend, both of whom eat and drink for England and there will be excess eating out too (oh dear). They are coming tomorrow night. Will need to plan some breakfasts etc.

PB