So why did you choose this over NROLFW?

Options
13»

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I need to unsubscribe to Mehdi's emails like yesterday!

They aren't beneficial?

No. Mehdi tends toward being a sexist, pompous *kitten*.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options

They aren't beneficial?

Lovely! Nice arms, btw!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I started with NR because I lift at home, and didn't have all the equipment I needed. NR is pretty adaptable. It is also more roundabout than strong lifts/ starting strength, as far as progress and physique changes go (at least for me). I've seen much more progress since I switched.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

They aren't beneficial?

No, it's him trying to convince you to join his "inner circle". It's pretty expensive if I remember correctly.
  • christianteach
    Options
    I've done both. I started with NR because I lift at home, and didn't have all the equipment I needed. NR is pretty adaptable. It is also more roundabout than strong lifts/ starting strength, as far as progress and physique changes go (at least for me). I've seen much more progress since I switched.

Since you switched to StrongLifts or nroflw?
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options

They aren't beneficial?

Agreed. It's a shame. Know he wants to develop this elitist hardman vibe for his group to make it aspirational, but he'd probably get more members if he was a bit more inclusive.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I tried NROLFW first but found the workouts in later stages to be difficult and too long (as many have commented).

I did SL for 14-ish weeks and made incredible strength gains, but I began to plateau and was finding the 5x5 taking too long at higher weights due to the increased time needed for rest between sets.

I have switched to Wendler's 5/3/1 and LOVE it. Am on cycle 7 now. I think I could have done Madcow, but Wendler's seemed simpler to me and at 4:30 AM, simple is greatly appreciated!

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise!
    Jackie
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I like SL because I was new to heavy lifting and it seemed like a good basic start. Plus I liked I could easily track my reps, weight, and schedule on my iphone with the SL app
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options

They aren't beneficial?

Agreed. It's a shame. Know he wants to develop this elitist hardman vibe for his group to make it aspirational, but he'd probably get more members if he was a bit more inclusive.

Actually decided to get off my bum and take the bull by the horns (as it were) - just emailed him! No idea whether he actually reads his emails or not. I was perfectly polite - just asked what he thought about his female followers. I hope I don't get blasted in his next email update, or simply ignored. Finger's crossed!
  • alisaglem
    alisaglem Posts: 36 Member
    Options

They aren't beneficial?

Actually decided to get off my bum and take the bull by the horns (as it were) - just emailed him! No idea whether he actually reads his emails or not. I was perfectly polite - just asked what he thought about his female followers. I hope I don't get blasted in his next email update, or simply ignored. Finger's crossed!

I'd be curious to hear what he says.
  • alisaglem
    alisaglem Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started SL 4 weeks ago and although my progression is slow, I prefer it over NROLFW, which I read 3 weeks ago. There's a ton of good info but I couldn't see myself remembering to also carry a notebook and write all of that down and try to maneuver around the gym to various locations needed for the different exercises. It seemed complicated. But if I don't achieve my goals by the end of the summer, which would mean 12 weeks of SL, I'll switch to NROLFW.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I'd be interested in his response also.
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just came across this old thread. Did Mehdi ever respond?
    What programme all you ladies doing now? I'm one week into SL after doing two stages of nrol.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Simplicity! :-)

THIS, FTW!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW and got to the second phase where you have to stand on one foot with the other behind you while lifting a barbell and decided I needed something less...complicated.

With SL, I don't have to have a book open the whole time to tell me what I'm doing.

Plus, I HATE lunges. :)
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I did the first stage of NROLFW.

Then, in the second stage, there was an exercise where you stand on one foot and lift dumbbells. I can not do it. I could not do even one set.

Plus, I detest lunges. Hate them with a burning passion and there are a lot of them in NR.

I know they're good for me, but they make my knees hurt something awful (like my kneecap is going to pop off).

I stopped at the same stage you did, with the stand on one foot while lifting dumbbells....couldn't even do one.

I never had knee problems, but lunges started them. I just could not get everything aligned correctly to keep myself from hurting. I know what you mean about the feeling that the kneecap was going to pop off, that is EXACTLY what I felt.

I see some people doing them easily and others struggling with them, I really am starting to suspect that some people's knees are just different enough that they don't work the same way with that exercise, but I can squat clear to the ground fairly easily, which my lunge-loving friend has trouble with.

If your kneecap pops off, it's a sure sign they're not good for you! I have d1cky knees (hahaha, anybody who's Australian will giggle at that!) and can't do lunges. I love that!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't look at books or write down anything when I work out. Everything for me needs to be simple and straight to the point when it comes to fitness or I lose interest. NROLFW is challenging and great but 5x5 is simple enough to do at the gym in less than 20 mins.
  • christianteach
    Options
    Just came across this old thread.
    What programme all you ladies doing now? I'm one week into SL after doing two stages of nrol.

I ended up doing 4 cycles of All Pro and then switched to StrongLifts.