preparing for RNY...

Options
tabatham1982
tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
I have been taking the steps needed for Gastric Bypass for the last 2 months, I have one more appointment with my Nutritionist (7/10) then they will be giving me a date! I am excited and scared all at the same time! I am worried about everything that can go wrong but excited about finally being able to lose the weight! I know that I will have to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to the surgery (my doctor says not every doctor does this but that he really prefers it) and I started to look into UnJury protein powder, any one else ever use it?? Are my fears rational? How did you do on this journey?

Replies

• steffyp01
    steffyp01 Posts: 34
    Options
    Of course your fears are rational, but the best thing to do is research, research, research. I have tried to read everything i can get my hand on so i am going into this thing with my eyes wide open. I started on this journey in January and my surgery is scheduled for 7/15. I am on day 2 of the liquid diet and so far it really has not been too bad. I just continuously sip on water to keep my appetite down. I'm nervous and excited also, but my excitement to get my weight down and start on a new chapter of my life outweighs my fears. Good luck to you and keep us updated on your progress. :wink:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Unjury is not bad, though I preferred Bariatric Advantage. Every surgeon has a different plan for the pre op diet. Mine was only one week, but for he also bases it on weight. I only had to do one week and my plan was 3 BA shakes per day (using water) and a meal in the evening consisting of 5 oz.meat like chicken breast, pork chop, fish, or lean turkey, and 1/2 cup cooked vegetables (no carrots or corn or starchy vegetables) OR 1 cup of raw salad vegetables. During this week, I LIVED for dinnertime when I got real food. I always looked at that week as my beginning of a new life--and it was. I am so thankful for the year before surgery that I had to get my mind focused and prepare. I can look through my diary here on MFP and see the changes along the way, knowing that I am still a work in progress. Good luck and definitely research EVERYTHING, talk to people, get in the habit early of logging every morsel that goes into your mouth, weighing your food, and taking pictures and measurements along the way. You'll be amazed at the changes you will see!
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been on this journey since February and still don't have a surgery date set. There have been so many hurdles between the insurance company and the changes in the physicians and clinics that my insurance will approve. My next consult with the (replacement) surgeon is July 25 and hopefully we can get a date set but at this point, I doubt I'll be able to get it done this summer so will have to wait until Fall quarter (school) is over. I'm sure I'll be very nervous about the surgery but so far I've been working so hard to get all the approvals and consults completed that I haven't had time to get anxious about the actual procedure.
    My surgeon requires a 30 day - 30mg carb diet prior to surgery. It sounds like I could do the same diet as Ann and come in under the 30. I haven't tried Unjury but have been drinking the Lean-Body-On-The-Go protein shakes and have become a big fan of the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor :)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had to do a two week pre-op liquid diet before my RNY in 2008. My doctor required Bariatric Advantage. Gross. I HATED them, but I had already bought it so suffered through the 2 weeks of it. Post-Op he wanted me to use them, too, but I refused. I was told I could use Slim Fast Low Carb shakes instead. I liked them much better. There are a lot of good protein shakes out there. Just be aware that your taste buds may change and things that taste good now, may not post-op so don't stock up on anything.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I had to do a two week pre-op liquid diet before my RNY in 2008. My doctor required Bariatric Advantage. Gross. I HATED them, but I had already bought it so suffered through the 2 weeks of it. Post-Op he wanted me to use them, too, but I refused. I was told I could use Slim Fast Low Carb shakes instead. I liked them much better. There are a lot of good protein shakes out there. Just be aware that your taste buds may change and things that taste good now, may not post-op so don't stock up on anything.

Same situation for both me and my husband. My hands down favorite protein powder was Syntrax Matrix mint cookie. Tastes like you dunked an entire box if Thin Mint cookie in milk and drank the milk...crumbs and all! Bought it from their website.

Just remember that this is temporary. It will seem like an eternity, especially towards the end, but you'll survive! It's a small sacrifice for the end result. Best wishes!!!

ETA: Follow EXACTLY what your surgeon tells you to do, even if others have been told to do things differently, or if you don't really like something. 90% of the people I know who have had complications have been self inflicted, mainly because they didn't follow their own surgeon's directives, including advancing phases of food too quickly and not following the no drinking with meals (and before/after time limit) rule.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

ETA: Follow EXACTLY what your surgeon tells you to do, even if others have been told to do things differently, or if you don't really like something. 90% of the people I know who have had complications have been self inflicted, mainly because they didn't follow their own surgeon's directives, including advancing phases of food too quickly and not following the no drinking with meals (and before/after time limit) rule.

I don't believe in listening to everything your surgeon has to say. Some are great cutters, but give horrible after-care. For example, if they are promoting a certain product, often they are selling it and making money. If something else has better stats, I do not believe there is anything wrong with that. Recommending that we use Flintstones vitamins is another of my pet-peeves. We should not be taking them. Not using straws or chewing gum are other stupid rules, in my not so humble opinion. Some surgeons recommend only eating 3 times a day. I eat 6-7 times a day. I do agree with not progressing too rapidly through food choices and not drinking with meals, but I have done my own research (the ASMBS website is an awesome resource).
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I don't believe in listening to everything your surgeon has to say. Some are great cutters, but give horrible after-care. For example, if they are promoting a certain product, often they are selling it and making money. If something else has better stats, I do not believe there is anything wrong with that. Recommending that we use Flintstones vitamins is another of my pet-peeves. We should not be taking them. Not using straws or chewing gum are other stupid rules, in my not so humble opinion. Some surgeons recommend only eating 3 times a day. I eat 6-7 times a day. I do agree with not progressing too rapidly through food choices and not drinking with meals, but I have done my own research (the ASMBS website is an awesome resource).

Totally agree. Not all surgeons, dietitians, or teams are created equal. I am a firm believer in finding what works for you, individually, and sticking with it. It's a learning process after surgery. Yes, some surgeons do promote certain products. There are quite a few great products out there. While I did not mind the Bariatric Advantage, I know many who did not care for it at all. As far as vitamins, I have found that Bariatric Fusion is much more reasonably priced than Bariatric Advantage. I know there are others out there too. I think the key is research, and like Laura said, your taste buds will change post surgery. I believe that a person's success where weight loss surgery is concerned is up to him/her.
  • steffyp01
    steffyp01 Posts: 34
    Options
    Totally agree, there is no cookie cutter answer. You use what the dr says as a guideline but you have to do what works for your body. I am on the 2 week pre op diet which per my dr is 2 slim fasts a day or two high pretien, low sugar drinks, carnation instant breakfast or something like that and lean cuisine or an equivalent for dinner. I had to do a lot of shopping around. I cannot do ANYTHING pre mixed becasue I have lactose issues so I have had to make substitions there. As far as a processed microwave meal for dinner NOT, those things have way too much salt. I am just eating a reasonable dinner and sticking strictly to portions. I think the whole point of the pre-op diet is to see a loss in weight. i am already seeing that. I'm 3 days in and have already lost 7 pounds so something is happening.
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am starting my preop diet tomorrow. Optifast for me. Shakes, soup and bars. 11 days of it.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    No mattwr what plan your individual surgeon uses, it is not easy. But vital that you follow directions to the best of your ability. I did use Unjury. The only issue was i thought it was a little sweet. If you use the unflavered in broth or tea, make sure to follow the temperature guidelines otherwise it will lump and curdle. Unflavored does not mean no taste. The Adkins Advantage was good, a little thicker. Fortunately my hospital team was very liberal with what I used as ling as it fell within certain guidelines. I found that the flinstone vitamins for me right now were more financially appealing. Very inexpensive at Sams Club. Best of luck on your journey.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    The biggest reason for the preop diet is that it will shrink your liver, which makes it far easier for the surgeon to move around inside while doing laparoscopic surgery. General weight loss, or showing "commitment" to weight loss isn't the real goal, but is a nice side benefit.

If you folks weren't aware, they also inflate your stomach a bit to make the surgery easier, so you will have lots of rumbling inside for a week or so. It's perfectly normal.