Men's Challenge for July 2012

Options
KevinS62
KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
Let keep this going guys. While you finish up the June Challenge, I think it's a good time to start the challenge for July.

My challenge to myself:
-Log 50 miles of walking, and maybe slip some jogging in
-Work the upper body, at least 10 sessions with the weights
-Lose 6 pounds down to 194

The caveat to this is that I'm trying to get a week off in late July to take a quick vacation in Florida. This means plenty of beer at the beach. At least I plan to continue the walking. Beach walking counts double, right? :bigsmile:

SW - 247
CW - 200
GW - 180

-Kevin

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    1) Lose 6 lbs (weight of 207 lbs).
    2) Log 80 miles walking and/or jogging (beach walks earn double miles).
    3) Log at least 12 weight training sessions.
    4) No beer in July.
  • pgmayer
    pgmayer Posts: 53
    Options
    I am in on this........... these are the goals I've set for July....... they are simple.... I am hoping for some real progress.

For July:

1) Weigh myself 2X per week...... once on Friday morning and once on Monday morning.......... to kind of check going into the weekend and coming out of the weekend.

2) No alcohol after work....... I usually come home from work and have a drink.

3) Lower carbs....... more veggies, good sources of protein, whole grains.....

4) More sleep..... that means going to bed earlier. I am a night time eater..... it's like after 10:00 PM..... the Beast comes out in me and demands to be fed. So the plan is to go to bed earlier and DO NOT FEED THE BEAST!

5) And of course....... ride the bike....... when my weight gets down I will have more exercise options but for now....... RIDE THE BIKE!

6) I will also resolve to look at these goals every morning as a reminder.

Goal for today.....one mile walk and a bike ride of at least a half an hour.

Stay the course......

Phil
    352/331/299
  • Ragtees
    Ragtees Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds Good!

Cardio 4X per week
    Weights 3X per week
    Yoga 1X per week

Keep cal's under 1800 per day

Looking to drop 5 lbs btw now and July 31st

SW: 240
    CW: 215
    GW: was 190 thinking 180 may be possible now.
  • KevinS62
    Options
    4) No beer in July.

YIKES!!!!
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Good goals guys! Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out! Good luck!
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    4) No beer in July.

YIKES!!!!

I'm just tired of the one night of beer = no loss for the week. Especially when I'd put more than 20 miles walking and two weight lifting sessions into that week. I want off this plateau!
  • advocat86
    advocat86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! Happy to find this group!

Here are my goals for July:

1. 350 km (217 miles) by bike
    2. workout 2X per week
    3. drop 2 kg (4.4 lbs)

I hope it goes well:)
  • pgmayer
    Options
    Yesterday I walked one mile.....biked 40 minutes...... stayed low on my carb intake...... I didn't have a drink after work but some friends came over after a meeting and we had a little whiskey together...... in moderation. I didn't get to bed as early as I would have liked.

It's clear my goals will be a challenge and require some work on my part. Some work and some planning.

All in all, I was happy with yesterday.....

Phil
    352/331/299
  • pgmayer
    Options
    Yesterday I walked one mile.....biked 40 minutes...... stayed low on my carb intake...... I didn't have a single drink all day (but I did make a trip to the liquor store to stock up for the 4th!)......

I went to bed at around 11:00 pm which is good for me......10:30 pm would be better.

Very happy with yesterday.....

The grand-kids are coming today and staying until Saturday. The 4th of July is big for our family. Lots of food, drink and fun. I will try to keep the food and drink to moderate levels and push the fun! I will consider eating to maintenance a success over the next 3 days. I am not going to try to lose a pound...... just eat sensibly and keep on top of a little exercise each day.

Have a great 4th of July men!

Phil
    352/331/299
  • dad040859
    dad040859 Posts: 66
    Options
    Way to go, Phil! See if the grandkids can do a mile with you...and if they want to keep going, go for it!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Great to find a Men's group on here. Member of MFP for 3 weeks.

Here are my goals for July. I weigh in on Saturdays, so last weigh in for July will be 8/3.
    1. Lose 1 lb a week. Goal weight for 8/3 is 230.
    2. Increase workout from 15 to 30 minutes. Goal of at least 3 workouts a week.

H - 6'2"
    SW - 245
    CW - 235
    GW - 215
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    My weekly check in:
    1) Lose 6 lbs (weight of 207 lbs).
    Had a bad, bad Saturday, so I'm thinking I may have blown this one, unless I really watch what I'm eating going forward.

2) Log 80 miles walking and/or jogging (beach walks earn double miles).
    I have done over 23 miles in the first week. So, well on target for this one.

3) Log at least 12 weight training sessions.
    I have two done (not counting the day I carried all my weights up two flights to set up a home gym in my condo). I'll need to step this up.

4) No beer in July.
    So far, so good. No beer. Over indulged on wine this weekend, which isn't much better.
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's July 2013, not 2012 ;)
  • KevinS62
    Options
    It's July 2013, not 2012 ;)

Well, what do you know! :embarassed:
  • KevinS62
    Options
    I completed a week, so I guess I'll give a progress check.

-Log 50 miles of walking, and maybe slip some jogging in
    I had 5 activities last week and yesterday for 19.92 miles. Way ahead on this one.

-Work the upper body, at least 10 sessions with the weights
    I only had only had two sessions so far. I got off on the wrong foot, working out two days in a row and using the same exercises. I was pretty sore, so I layed off. The good news is while resting my sore triceps and chest muscles, I drew up a planned regimine, mostly dumbbell exercises, that I can work Mon, Tue, Thu, and Fri each week.

-Lose 6 pounds down to 194
    Weight 198. Four pounds to go.

What is going to hurt is a possible vacation (if I can get the time off) from 20-27 July. I don't do good on vacations...

- Kevin
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    July weekly update 7/13/2013

July Goals
    1. Lose 1 lb a week. Goal weight for 8/3 is 230.
    Down to 234. Good considering I had a few evenings of beer and cocktails after work.

2. Increase workouts from 15 to 30 minutes. Goal of at least 3 workouts a week.
    Only 1 10 minute workout this week. Have to pick up the pace.

H - 6'2"
    SW - 245
    CW - 234
    GW - 215
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    1) Lose 6 lbs (weight of 207 lbs):
    I've actually gained two pounds. I think it is the weight lifting and creatine. I'm getting other NSV, so I may not make the weight goal this month.

2) Log 80 miles walking and/or jogging (beach walks earn double miles):
    I'm at 53.6 miles so far.

3) Log at least 12 weight training sessions:
    I've gotten five in so far. My legs day on Friday was monster (still sore). But I still need to get in the gym more often.

4) No beer in July:
    So far so good. Although I've hit the wine hard a couple of times.
  • pgmayer
    Options
    I was gone on vacation for a week. I got back on Saturday........ I have not lost any weight since before the Fourth of July. Hmmmmm........ gonna stick with the program though. I am feeling better and my clothes fit better so I must be getting a lower body fat percentage or something.

It is hot and muggy here in Minnesota. I hope to get out on my bike for a ride.

Tomorrow is my 60th birthday.......... a new decade begins!!

Phil
    352/331/299
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
  • pgmayer
    Options
    Thank you! I weighed this morning and was down 3 lbs. I am now below 330 lbs....... 328 to be exact. That was a nice way to start the sixties......

Phil
    352/328/299