Welcome and Intros!

Options
13»

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Body fat scales are highly unreliable...I don't recommend them at all. Handheld devices with the same technology are marginally better (I have one) but still...the error range is pretty darn large. Your first best option is of course hydrostatic testing or a "bod pod" (I can bod pod sessions near me for $30) but that's unrealistic for me. Calipers, used by someone with good training, are better than the scales.

I agree. I use mine purely because it was built in to my bathroom scale and for trending purposes.

Exactly as you should :)

The issues is more if you use them to determine lean body mass and thus calories but it's off by 8% or something.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Height: 5'0
    Weight: 145.25lbs
    BF: 35.9%
    Goal BF: 24%
    Goal weight: 120lbs - but i can deal with not losing it as long as i get to my goal bodyfat.

Hiya I'm Charlene - a novice weigh lifter! I'm starting tomorrow so feel free to add me as a friend!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Hi! I plan on starting new rules in the next few weeks. Trying to tour some local gyms and decide whether I want to go there or invest the cash and buy all the equipment I need at home. I'd rather do it at home to tell you the truth. Anyway, I have lots of questions. I do not want to lose at all. I just want to get that killer body that I know I am capable of achieving.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi! I plan on starting new rules in the next few weeks. Trying to tour some local gyms and decide whether I want to go there or invest the cash and buy all the equipment I need at home. I'd rather do it at home to tell you the truth. Anyway, I have lots of questions. I do not want to lose at all. I just want to get that killer body that I know I am capable of achieving.

Hello! Same here! I am planning to start NROLFW in June/July and currently looking at equipment to buy for home which would be easier for me than getting to a gym...
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    Hey Team!

Looking at starting too very soon - need to read up some more.

My name is Mieke
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 156lbs
    BF: Unknown

My goal is just to look and feel great. I want to have a midsection to be proud of! Can't wait to get started :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Name: Jami

Height: 5'9

Weight: 175 (down from 282)

Body Fat: 33% according to doc's scale, 26.5% according to my scale, probably somewhere in the middle

Dietary Restrictions: I am post Sleeve Surgery (a newer bariatric surgery, so I am limited in the volume I can eat at one time, and refined carbs don't sit well with me at times. I try to stay away from most refined carbs.)

Goals: To lose the last 15 lbs of fat around my middle and drop my body fat to less than 25%.

Where are you in NROL: First workout was today and I am pleasantly surprised at how well I did.

Other info/background: I started working out about a year ago. I started using MFP to track my calories last June. I had VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) last September. I know that some people think that surgery is the "easy way out," but it's not true. Although my stomach has a smaller capacity now, I still track, watch my macros, work out and deal with all the mental challenges of non-surgical weightloss. I'm really excited to start a formal weight lifting program, as I have been dabbling in weights for the last year, and have been working up to lifting heavy free weights during that time.
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hey there!! excited to have joined this group... hoping that there will be some good support here! feel free to add me :flowerforyou:

Name: Katy

Height: 5' 6 3/4" in the morning

Weight: 135

Body Fat: 23-26% according to various online calculators, but not sure... would love to know but there are never any trainers at my gym to measure it for me! :sad:

Dietary Restrictions: zilch! just trying to go high-protein, which can be a challenge!

Goals: flat abs, no back-of-arm jiggle, and a sexy back :blushing:

Where are you in NROL: going to buy the book today, hopefully starting Monday!!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Name: Amber

Height: 5'10

Weight: 203.6 as of this morning

Body Fat: 39.4% approx. I have used calipers

Dietary Restrictions: No restrictions

Goals: I would like to lose approx 40 lbs but mainly get stronger, healthier, and more comfortable in my own skin!

Where are you in NROL: I did the first workout on Wednesday. Workout B will be tomorrow. I am still sore from Wednesday! It is awesome being sore again.

Other info/background: I am trying to lose the same weight that I lost a couple years back. I was at goal but let everything go and started gaining rapidly. I have recently took myself off all my medications under the supervision of my doctor. Trying a more natural approach. I just want my confidence back. I have done P90X twice but the workouts are too restrictive.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm Rachael! Starting NROLFW tomorrow! I found the book after joining the Eat More to Weigh Less group. Currently doing a metabolism reset and getting started.

Weight: 163
    Height: 5'6

Looking to lose the rest of my preggo weight! Ultimate goal weight of 130.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Hi All! Just got the book on Saturday Looking to start soon! (want to read through the entire book before I start

Name: Jezabell

Height: 5' 3"

Weight: 173 :(

Body Fat: 30%

Dietary Restrictions: Going to follow the eating plan once I get started.

Goals: mid healthy range in body fat. My goal weight and to be able to Squat like a BEAST lol

Where are you in NROL: Starting January 14th!

Other info/background: I have been working out the wrong way for years now off and on never really sticking to anything. This time I have a solid plan and backup so I can def see myself reaching my goals!! yaaaay
  • AnaDR
    AnaDR Posts: 1
    Options
    :love:
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm so glad that I found the group. I'm Trina and I'm a nightshirt worker and I also happen to be a vegetarian. I attend body pump often, multiple times a week and that class has pushed me to go further with scratching that itch to lift weights that body pump just could not satisfy. I want to use NRWL4W as a starting point to get my foot in the door, to going heavier and I'm not waiting to loose weight to do it. Forget that!

I actually bought this book off of Amazon months ago and trust me, I've combed through this book a million and one times trying to get comfortable with the routine so I wouldn't look lost at the gym. I just never could get comfortable with being on the weight floor, especially since all the cardio equipment faces the weight floor. So many times I've looked across while on the treadmill longing to go to the other side, but chickened out. I have this fear that everybody will laugh at the fat girl lifting weights and doing everything wrong. I drove up to the gym parking lot once and never got out the car lol.

"Just get out there"...ok yea sounds simple, but I can testify that dangerously bold (I surprise myself, just no telling what I'll do) gal has never been intimidated by nothing else in life!!

Truth is, change never comes with being comfortable. Being comfortable? Forget that! I wish I had a workout partner but I know that I'm not in this to loose a few and chances are, eventually I'll end up on my own.

I leave to the gym in 34 mins. Got my iphone charged up; my earphones; pen and worksheet ready.

SW: 215

Ht: 5'6

Goal: Stronger, smaller, firmer than I am today. I realize it's going to take time, dedication and cleaning up what I stick in my mouth to get where I will be. How fit I am depends largely on me.

I hope I can truly make the best of joining this group and that maybe I'm a help to someone as well.
  • pmd15098
    pmd15098 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Paige! I got really excited when I heard about this book. I think I
    am going to borrow it from the library tomorrow.

CW: 186.2 lbs
    GW:140 lbs
    Height: 5' 7"

I am so ready to get sculpted. One question.....the really cliche question....for those of you who have done it longer, did you get man muscles or goddess muscles?
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Hi, I'm Caryn.

Current Stats:

Height: 5'4.5"
    CW: 164.6 Lbs
    GW: 132Lbs

Chest: 90cm
    Bust: 102cm
    Waist: 84cm
    Abdomen: 101cm
    Hips/Buttocks: 107cm
    Thighs: 67cm

My first day was yesterday, and this is what I managed:

10 Minute warm-up on eliptical
    Squat 2 x 15 (20kg) Note to self - too heavy, form was poor - decrease to 15Kg
    Push-Up 2 x 15 (Ladies Style)
    Seated Row 2 x 15 (10Kg) Too light - increase to 12-15Kg
    Step Up 2 x 15 (10Kg) Challenging, but fine for now
    11 Minute Walk/Run Cooldown
    Stretching

I can't wait for the first stage to be over....... I just want to see some progress.
    Prone Jackknife 2 x 8 Loved these, could have gone on all day