July Monthly Goals

Options
shutupandlift13
shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
Use this format which is also stickied in a separate thread in case somehow you lose it:

Monthly Goal
Name:
Date:
Height:
Weight:

SMART Goal for [Pick a Focus - Diet/Fitness/Self]:
S - [Specific]
M - [Measurable]
A - [Attainable]
R - [Relevant]
T - [Time Oriented]
(Remember to reevaluate!)

[Fill out a SMART Goal for whichever goals you plan to have for the month, you might have one for each focus or maybe just one focus for the month. You can put the short 'n' sweet version here but it can be helpful to track your goals in a notebook with the full on, wordy and thoughtful version of the SMART exercise and also track what you think/feel during your reevaluations!]

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Monthly Goal
    Name: Rebecca
    Date: 7/5/2013
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 170lbs

SMART Goal for Diet
    S - I will follow 20/4 Intermittent Fasting for 8 weeks to allow for better adherence to my calorie deficit.
    Sub-Goal: Hit macros 6 out of 7 days each week from mostly whole food sources
    M - I will track my food including eating times on MFP and update progress on a weekly basis.
    A - I have been able to follow a 16/8 which usually looked more like a 18/6 or 20/4 schedule previously and generally prefer fasted training. I have been able to hit my macro goals in the past pretty easily when I properly plan and
    R - IF allows for me to stay within a calorie deficit while still feeling satiated and full. Hitting my macro goals really effects my training in a positive way so PRs and progress make this very relevant.
    T - I am doing this as a bet against my friend Kyle for a set 8 weeks. I will be doing weekly updates on progress and energy levels and seeing how my body acts with this type of eating schedule.

SMART Goal for Fitness:
    S - Attend CrossFit 3 times per week, lift 3 times per week and run at least once with a mobility focus before each workout through Aug 4th. Packing the night before and hitting up the same CF class times helps build a routine and that routine becomes harder and harder to resist each week.
    M - I will track workouts each week with Fitocracy as well as my fridge training calendar.
    A - Lifting sessions are usually a half hour to hour long before class and running is about the same so it brings me to about 10 hrs of working out per week which is less than 25% of my "free time" when I take out work and sleeping.
    R - This is a test of the workload that my body can handle without training becoming counterproductive and also to establish a consistent workout routine.
    T - In August I will be transitioning to half marathon training and will have to reevaluate my schedule then so I would like to use the rest of my time until then to work on strength and speed as much as I can before I start working on my endurance.

SMART Goal for Self:
    S - I will weigh in once each week, before taking BCAAs on Mondays, for the next 8 weeks to move my focus away from arbitrary numbers and towards better habits and a sense of accomplishment in my workouts rather than just what the scale tells me.
    M - This is measurable because its my weight, duh... I will use my WW BIA scale though which will remain in the closet until its needed each Monday.
    A - I have been able to not weigh for multiple days especially when I am hitting on all the other aspects like work outs and nutrition. I have learned to trust the process and I will again.
    R - I have a dependency on the scale. I have let it dictate my self-image and my emotions off and on for way too long.
    T - This coincides with my weekly weigh ins for my 20/4 bet but even after 8 weeks I would prefer to not go back to daily weighing.
  • cutieryan
    cutieryan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so excited to see this group. I just wrote a blog post stating my goals for July a few days ago and in it I wrote that I'm not looking to be perfect, just better. I am currently over 200 pounds. If I work to get better that number is bound to go down.

So, here are my goals for July. I've only been really dedicated to losing weight for about a month so I'm keeping it simple for now

• S - Specific
    • M - Measurable
    • A - Attainable (realistic)
    • R - Relevant (important)
    • T - Time oriented

S- I want to log into MFP every day and track everything that goes into my mouth.
    M- At the end of the month I'll be able to see "cutiryan has logged on for 30 days in a row" and of course there are the handy dandy reports to see my calorie intake
    A- Unlike most social sites I can log into MFP from work as well as from home and my phone, basically there can't be an "oh I don't have time" day
    R- I've learned from previous success with weight watchers that tracking is half the battle.
    T- 30 days isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm choosing not to list a weight goal or calorie goal (though of course I have a calorie goal) because for now what I need most of all is to get in the habit of really thinking about what I'm doing to my body.

31700263.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Info/stats:
    Monkey (<-- My internet alias)
    07/06/2013
    5'3 ish
    110 ish

Goals:
    • S - Specific
    • M - Measurable
    • T - Time oriented

--> Space out my meals more through out the day. (This is a general goal I will tack on to this, but it goes with ALL potential goals: LOG EVERYTHING ACCURATELY. I have been struggling with this.)
    --> Have it routine by the time Fall semester starts
    --> Create eating windows for my meals
    --> I just found out that I have what doctors call "Lazy Bowel". Basically when most people eat food.the colon expands and contracts to keep the food flowing down the normal path. Mine doesn't. the food just stops where it is, making eating very uncomfortable.
    --> I want it achieved by school because my schedule is jam packed and if I don't it will be too small of a window to consume what I need and will probably really hurt my system.

I guess I will stick with this for now.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    name: eve
    date: 06/07
    height: 167cm
    weight: 61kg
    bf: 26.1 %

S - at least 100g protein daily and being strict(er) on crappy carbs (im a carbaholic)
    M - lower body fat % (plateauing for 2-3 months now, so its not as easy for me as it might seem!)
    A - no binges (bit over - alright. full blown `im a little over, i can eat all the foodz now` planned binge - no go!)
    R - straight edge july (no alcohol, no cigarette - cant do it in moderation, not doing it at all for a while)
    T - september holibobs back in my country (so people whom havent seen me for a year and a half/straight after post pregnancy blobness, will drop jaws when i `accidentally` flex, hah!)

also, ive started to do this when started lifting. it indicates my diet, not my workout/fitness but you get the idea. looking back at it helps, and checking specific dates makes me re-think and observe what lead me to having a bad day. just an idea...

monthsofprogress_zps49405263.jpg
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    First off Rebecca- thanks for taking the time to do this. I will be using this daily for chat threads about diet and fitness, which will be better than reading the forum drama.

Eve- LOVE the calendar above and might start doing it!

Monthly Goal
    Name: Jamie
    Date: 7/6/2013
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: not sure. 2 weeks ago i was 178.6. then i had a few eh days and the scale started saying 180ish. i binged hardcore on the 4th, and now it claims im about 183, but i assume half is retention. so lets say 181ish.

• S - Specific
    • M - Measurable
    • T - Time oriented

SMART Goal for Diet
    S - stay within my 1600-1800 range 6-7 days a week- trying for the higher end of the range for lifting days. if i go over another day, it should be a moderate indulge (i.e. up to an extra 500 cals. i need to treat an indulgence for what it is rather than a free for all that sets me back a week) ** some people have told me this is too low- but when i tried 1700-2000 for over a month, i lost absolutely nothing. this seems to be my calorie range sweet spot for slow and steady weight loss, while still fueling my body and not being hungry**
    M - I will continue to track all my food on MFP honestly (which i have been, minus sugarfree gum- which i cant justify logging :) )
    A - I know im not perfect, which is why ill give myself ONE day a week to indulge a little extra if i need it. WITHIN REASON
    R - this is the one thing in my life im having trouble controlling, and i feel so much better about myself when im diligent.
    T - my husband leaves on monday for 6 weeks for USAF stuff- id love to be smaller when he returns- and have him notice.

SMART Goal for Fitness:
    - about to start NROL4W stage 5- that should last the rest of July. i want to keep kicking *kitten* at it :) i want to rev up my cardio days with more HIIT.

SMART Goal for Self:
    -- stop obsessing over the scale, and weigh in 1x a week.
    -- continue to improve grazing behavior at social functions (which i did NOT do on the 4th, after months of getting better). I need to learn how to take a plate and leave the area!
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ok so here goes........

Name: Sarah
    Date July 6th
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight 178lbs
    BF% 32% *last checked start of June*

Smart for DIET

S-Cut down on high carb binging!! My cheat meals are always turning into 2 days of cheating!

M-100g or less of Carbs a day. (look where my carbs are coming from. If it is ever over 100g make sure it is from veg and all whole grains...Not from burger buns, donuts and spring rolls)

A-As long as I plan my meals in advance and make sure I have enough "good' food with me for the day I do well. I can't leave myself short because then I will use a drive thru.

R-This is relevant as carbs are what make me feel quite bloated. I am not an anti-carb person and will never been able to stop having chips, cakes and Chinese noodles! However I know when I limit my intake I feel a lot less tired.....more alive!!

T- This will be never ending. I am going to keep this as a consistent goal. My macros as a whole may change in the future.

Smart for FITNESS

S-I will be doing my "new rules for lifting' workout 3x week always with a 300 Cal cardio burn after (typically elliptical machine). I also want to swim min once a week as I have been totally lacking in the sport I once loved. I would like to also try to improve on my running so atleast one run a week...can be done with "Odie" on dog walk. 20 min makes me feel better then nothing.

M-I will log my progression of lifting in my notebook and hope to increase in all aspects without being shaking with form. I will also log on this site. I will let the swimming just happen this month, Just get in the pool and see where my fitness level is.

A-I have already been doing 3X week lifting and I know the Tuesday-Thursday-Sat usually works best so I will stick with that. Swimming is very attainable to do on Mon-Wed- or Fridays. No excuse not so as there are free swims coming up and the pool is walking distance to the house.

R-I have rarely stuck to any routine in my life but I have been able to work out fairly consistently for 7 months now. I am proud of that so its important I keep it up. Swimming has always made me happy. I also know it is something I excel at so its important I push myself to the pool this month.

T-My goals for lifting will be to constantly get stronger and lift more so it will be unending. No real strict weight goals for the end of the month. However, in August I want to be going to the pool for 3 times a week and feel fit enough to start working on lap increases and time goals etc.

SELF...I am not going to do this in SMART format. I just want to put a few things I want to improve on.

I need to stop being self conscious at the gym. Do not look around at girls who look hotter then you and compare yourself. Focus on the goals above and know that if I keep pushing I will get the results I want. Go in there, kick *kitten*, sweat like **** and get out. Its about me, not anyone else.

DO NOT weight, measure or check BF until August. I don't want to be obsessed with those things. I am hoping if I leave it a full month I might be happier with my results.

I think that is it for now.

Thanks Rebecca for taking all the time to write everything up on here and make this group. It is nice to have this structure and have everything lined up and right in front of me. I am not a very structured or organized person and may not have done anything like this without this group.
  • fitgirl09jessica
    Options
    Monthly Goal
    Name: Jessica
    Date: 7-6-13
    Height: 5'7''
    Weight: 155 pounds

SMART Goal for Diet:
    S-I want to incorporate more fruits & vegetables into my diet. I have been doing pretty well as far as eating better and not eating out (only 4 times in the past two weeks compared to almost every day before).

M-I have a water jug that is more than half of my body weight in ounces (the recommended amount) but I don't always drink the full jug or log it so I'm hoping to do better with measuring my water intake.

A-Limit eating out to restaurants only.. no fast food at all

R-I don't digest processed foods very well, nor things not made with fresh ingredients so I have to be extra careful on what I buy and cook. Even pasta sauce in the jar can make my stomach hurt. It sounds like it sucks but it actually helps a lot when sticking to my goals.

T-I only have two months until start of my senior year in college so I want to accomplish more in the next two months so I don't have to be AS strict during the year because I definitely want to enjoy it. Plus if I am already in a routine when the craziness rolls around then it will be easier to stick to it.

SMART Goal for Fitness:
    S-Workout at least 6 days a week, only allowing myself one rest day (unless another is needed). This can include (and should) my insanity for the day, a run with my dog, a few hours at the gym, or a long walk with my dog.

M-I will keep track of exactly what I do during my workouts on my blog I created through myfitnesspal. I will include reps and weight.

A-I have so much free time right now that my workouts should consume about 10-15 hours every week.

R-I once had my mile at 10 minutes, which I know is not very fast, but I was toning up from it so I hope to get back to there.

T-Not having an after hours pass to the gym right now (I lost mine) limits the time period I have to workout but it will make my day seem more productive by knocking my workout out early.

SELF:
    I use the other girls at the gym as a way to push myself which usually results in me doing more than my body can handle and ending up with 2 recovery days before I am not too sore to workout again. I need to just focus on what my goals are and ignore what other girls are doing. I just need to focus and push myself based on what I did the time before at the gym. Also, I only want to weigh myself once a week.. which is going to be hard but the scale will be shoved in a cabinet except on Saturdays! I picked that day because I just weighed and measured today so I want to keep it exactly one week apart.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm going to combine diet and fitness is one here... just will keep me focused on one list rather than two.

Name: Pam
    Date: 7-7-13
    Height 5'5.5"
    Weight: 190-something
    Age 41 <-- added because I think it's very relevant.

• S - Specific :no alcohol during the week, limit intake on weekends to 2-3 glasses/day
    • M - Measurable: crossfit 4x week
    • A - Attainable (realistic): no binge drinking. this will be all important this months since we vacationing next week and when my husband is around, we can put back quite a bit of alcohol.
    • R - Relevant (important) : limiting my alcohol is very relevant since it's only since I've been drinking that I can't seem to shed weight. When I apply myself and stay sober, my weight loss is noticeable.
    • T - Time oriented: I'm 41, and I always promised myself I'll be healthiest in my 40's. My girls are now at an age where fitness, nutrition and self image is very important and I don't want them growing up learning about fat & skinny, but rather fit and strong no matter your body type.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    oh, and I'm not an alcoholic, I just have kids. :laugh:
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    name: eve
    date: 01-31 july
    height: 167 cm
    starting weight: 61kg
    ending weight: 62kg
    bf: 26.1%

S - at least 100g protein daily and being strict(er) on crappy carbs (im a carbaholic)

success with protein. not really on carbs.

M - lower body fat % (plateauing for 2-3 months now, so its not as easy for me as it might seem!)

no luck. however, ive gained weight so my body fat staying the same somehow leaves me impressed.

A - no binges (bit over - alright. full blown `im a little over, i can eat all the foodz now` planned binge - no go!)

failed on this, on many occasions. possibly the bingest month of mine since december. see 'R' for the main cause.

R - straight edge july (no alcohol, no cigarette - cant do it in moderation, not doing it at all for a while)

sounds good in theory, anyway. lots of bbqs, lots of boozage, lots of holiday spirit. drunkness induced crappy carb binges of course, to prevent hangover. (at least succeeded in that, ha!)

T - september holibobs back in my country

ive still got august to work on that.

55625e46-11a6-4368-964f-402152711c18_zpsb7688643.jpg?t=1375302975

so here, i failed on all my SMART points, yet still have the nerve to moan about not making much of a progress lately. ta-daaah!