The Crazy Core Lady's Crazy Core Exercises

Options

Replies

• kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks !

How may world you say to do per exercise?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Thanks !

How may world you say to do per exercise?

It really depends on the exercise and your fitness level. The beginner ones I typically do 20-30, but usually can only get 8-15 with the more difficult ones. I would just do as many as you can at first to gauge what your reps should be for each set or start with 10-15 and see how you do with that.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Bumping because these are great and I need to remember them
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Saving this!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Nice List. Have to add that heavy kettle bell swings really work the core, too.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I like this one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lights-camera-abs-8-ways-to-celebrity-8-pack.html

got some interesting moves to change it up and all in video demonstration

:drinker:
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the exercise and your fitness level. The beginner ones I typically do 20-30, but usually can only get 8-15 with the more difficult ones. I would just do as many as you can at first to gauge what your reps should be for each set or start with 10-15 and see how you do with that.
    Hey, thanks for this list. I realize that the set/rep would depend on the fitness level - but I had a doubt about the above.
    1) When you say 20-30 reps, how many sets of these for beginners?

2) Your beginner list has many options - should I do all of them on my ab days - or only some? Currently I do 5 ab workouts (some of them are on your list) on one day and 5 on another. Should I be doing more than 5 per core workout?

3) How many core workouts per week would you recommend.

4) I notice you give stability ball pikes for advanced workouts. When I started NROL4W I was curious that the first workout for the first stage had this - is the one you recommend different from the one in that workout?

Thanks for all your advice!
  • jstout365
    Options
    Hey, thanks for this list. I realize that the set/rep would depend on the fitness level - but I had a doubt about the above.
    1) When you say 20-30 reps, how many sets of these for beginners?

2-3 sets is all you would need to do of any exercise. Things like supermans and back extensions should be in the 10-20 range as a max. Frog kicks and russian twists usually land in the 15-20 rep range. Straight crunches or full situps can be done with higher rep ranges.
    2) Your beginner list has many options - should I do all of them on my ab days - or only some? Currently I do 5 ab workouts (some of them are on your list) on one day and 5 on another. Should I be doing more than 5 per core workout?
    No need to do them all. Just stick to the 5 or so. You can also pair them based on what they work. So like regular crunches, russian twists, and supermans. Pile them into a superset where you do the crunches, then the twists, then the supermans with little rest between each exercise. Rest 1 min or so at the end of the 3 and then repeat. Each time through is a "set" and you do it 2-3 times. You can then pick another three and do a second "superset."
    3) How many core workouts per week would you recommend.
    It is really dependent on what your schedule is. If you are doing 30-40 min of core work then no more than 2-3 times a week. If you are adding 10-15 min on to the end of another workout then you can most likely do core work 4-6 times a week as long as you are diligent about doing a variety of exercises and listening to your body about needing rest.
    4) I notice you give stability ball pikes for advanced workouts. When I started NROL4W I was curious that the first workout for the first stage had this - is the one you recommend different from the one in that workout?
    A few of the sites that have the exercise listed also put it in an advanced category. I don't know exactly how NROL4W has it being done, but based on a youtube video, it appears that it is the same exercise. The movement is conceptually easy to understand, but it involves a bit of balance, shoulder/arm strength, and the ability to hold the plank. In my opinion, it is easy to get hurt doing this exercise which brings the level up from a beginner exercise. I've nearly fallen on my head when I didn't maintain control. If you can do it, by all means, continue with it. It is a great core exercise.
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks for all the detailed answers - much appreciate your help.

The stability ball pike - yes, it was a disaster the first time I did it, and you're absolutely right - it requires both upper body strength and also some neuromuscular coordination to manage the balance. I couldn't fathom why a workout that is aimed at persuading women to do lifting would put it on the first day's workout. I persevered through and now I can do it, not elegantly, though, and my dismount is terribly ungainly, but I can eke out 12 - but only because I made a passage way with bolsters and cushions to keep the wayward ball from wandering off. It still feels like an adventure, each time I roll on the ball to get started, not knowing how I am going to end up, heh.
  • paprad
    Options
    CCLady, I thought of you in the gym yesterday - because while I did a set of 5 core exercises, I wasn't sure which ones worked which part of the body and I think I overdid the ones which did the obliques.

Your opening post - would it be possible to jot down what each one works so that newbies like me know how to make superset combinations?

Also - what do you think of the workouts here : http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/complete-core-training/

I tried the anti-rotation using the seated row machine - kneeling down - and it was quite tough trying to keep the cable from whizzing back.
  • jstout365
    Options

Beginner:

Crunch - upper abs
    Plank - Can be done either with arms straight or on elbows (sometimes referred to as a hover) - lower back, full abs, glutes, quads, and hamstrings, also some shoulder.
    Side plank - full core with focus on obliques
    Bicycle crunches - obliques (more of the front inner oblique)
    Russian Twists - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/russian-twist -- obliques front and back.
    Frog kicks - Can be done on a bench or on the floor - upper and lower abs, hipflexors, a little bit of the arms
    frogkick.jpg

Glute Bridges - glutes, hamstrings, quads, lower abs, hip flexors
    Heel Touches - crunch and tap the back of your calves or heels - upper abs
    Supermans/Swimmers - back exercise - lower/mid back and some glutes
    superman-exercise.jpg

Back extensions - lower back and glutes/hamstrings
    Woodchoppers - can be done with kb, cables, resistance bands (also adds some leg/shoulder/upper back into the mix) - obliques, back, abs, quads, glutes, shoulders, arms
    25/75 situps - Start in the up position of a sit up, slowly lower to just above the ground (25% up) and come up to 75%. So never all the way up or all the way down. -- abs (mostly upper), back, and to some extent hip flexors and quads

Intermediate:

Roman/Captains chair Crunches or leg lifts - lower abs and hipflexors
    incline situps - difficulty depends on angle of bench - abs, quads, hipflexors, and back to some extent
    Leg lifts -- lower legs
    Crunch to extension - So crunch in with your upper body and lower body then extend arms over head and legs out. Make sure your lower back stays flat on the floor. If it raises up, keep your legs higher. - all abs, back, hipflexors, and quads
    Cable twists - obliques
    Spider crunches - obliques full core for plank position
    Leg lift to bottoms up/flag pole - basically leg lift to vertical then push hips up with a crunch and end on your traps. - lower abs, upper abs, glutes
    Kettlebell Pirate ships - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/kettlebell-pirate-ships - obliques, back, abs, shoulders.

Advanced:

Stability ball pikes - full core for plank, hipflexors, lower abs, some glute
    Toes to bar - vertical leg lift from pull up bar - lower abs, shoulder/arm, hipflexor
    Vertical leg raises/ crunches from dip bars - keep straight arms to engage shoulder stability - lower abs, back, shoulders, hipflexors
    Barbell roll out - very similar to stability ball pikes
    Hanging frog kicks - Frog kicks done from the pull up bar - see frog kicks and add in a butt load of upper body.

As for the GGS website, yes, those are good ones as well. The Pallof Press is a hard one. I like exercises like that because it helps the brain learn how to engage the core.

The list provided is nowhere near a exhaustive list. I learn about new ones all the time and there are some really good compound movements that support core, but are aimed at other primary muscle groups.
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks so much! That's hugely helpful.

So when I make a superset of say, 3 exercises per superset - i should choose 3 that use different parts of the abs, but to cover as many parts as possible during one workout - did I get that right?

I've developed an ache in my upper back (between the shoulder blades) after my last core workout (it aches when I take a deep breath or try a rowing motion) - the workout had Farmers' walk, cable flexion, ball crunches (plain and weighted), Russian twist with dumbbells, plus plank on elbows (on a bench) - 2 sets each. Could I have over done some twisting movement perhaps?
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • jstout365
    Options
    Thanks so much! That's hugely helpful.

So when I make a superset of say, 3 exercises per superset - i should choose 3 that use different parts of the abs, but to cover as many parts as possible during one workout - did I get that right?

I've developed an ache in my upper back (between the shoulder blades) after my last core workout (it aches when I take a deep breath or try a rowing motion) - the workout had Farmers' walk, cable flexion, ball crunches (plain and weighted), Russian twist with dumbbells, plus plank on elbows (on a bench) - 2 sets each. Could I have over done some twisting movement perhaps?

Yes, for super sets do one center core, one oblique, one back.....that will keep things balanced.

I know it has been a bit, but how is your back feeling? You may have pulled something doing a twisting movement. Make sure you keep your shoulders back and not rounded to the front. It is hard for me to know what caused the strain with those.
  • paprad
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your tips and for asking about my back - it is much better now. I initially tried working out with it, and it felt worse, so I decided to be smart and take a break of 3-4 days and today it's been fine. I think I over did the twisty moves all on one day, so I should design a more balanced core workout.
  • paprad
    Options
    Hi again, I had a few more doubts.
    Crunches : do you recommend doing them on the stability ball? or just on a mat?

Russian twist : I saw quite a few demos on the net and they all have some variation - some of them have the feet up in the air, others have the legs on the ground, some with weights, some without. Some stay up in a V-position right through, others say to come up, twist and lie back. If you could attach a link to which one you recommend - that would be great

Back extensions - would these be like the superman, but on the ground, alternate arm and leg raised?

On another forum i saw a recommendation to using the Ab roller - would you say this is worth adding to the list? If so, do I put it under the full-core options in a superset?

Thanks for all your help!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Tagging reluctantly!
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Glad you tagged it Lydia…I didn't see this before.

I love planks (well, I love what them when I'm done with them!) and was always trying to figure out how to combine side and regular planks. Now I have a new challenge!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Tagging :smile:
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Great info!