Paleo and carb nite program?

Options
Desmonema
Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
Hi guys,
I have recently started the carb nite program, but am keeping things completely paleo. Anyone doing carb nite, too? Would be nice to share experiences, recipes and so on!!

Replies

• Paleo_wolf
    Paleo_wolf Posts: 28
    Options
    What is carb nite? Never heard of it lol
  • Desmonema
    Options
    The CARB NITE SOLUTION. Interesting program to create the hormonal environment to loose fat. Ultra-low-carb for 5 to 7 days, then massive carb-refeed that boosts all the hormones needed for fat-loss. That's it in VERY short.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The CARB NITE SOLUTION. Interesting program to create the hormonal environment to loose fat. Ultra-low-carb for 5 to 7 days, then massive carb-refeed that boosts all the hormones needed for fat-loss. That's it in VERY short.

Interesting, but as for me I prefer eating a steady flow of paleo/primal allowed carbs (fruits & veges).
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I read the book after seeing your post - sounds interesting enough. I just started inching my way to keto (I'm stuck with only 10lbs to lose), but I know I'll really miss fruit and sweet potatoes. I'm intrigued enough to give CarbNite a shot! I'm mostly paleo, except for homemade yogurt and the occasional cheese. I also IF though, so I'm not sure how everything will work together....add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • Desmonema
    Options
    I read the book after seeing your post - sounds interesting enough. I just started inching my way to keto (I'm stuck with only 10lbs to lose), but I know I'll really miss fruit and sweet potatoes. I'm intrigued enough to give CarbNite a shot! I'm mostly paleo, except for homemade yogurt and the occasional cheese. I also IF though, so I'm not sure how everything will work together....add me as a friend if you'd like!

Great! Just added you! Maybe there's more paleo peeps trying it?
  • agentventi
    agentventi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I need to read up on this more, I already cut fruit and hardly ever have starchy veggies (had a sweet potato last night-first time in MONTHS! What are some good resources?
  • agentventi
    Options
    I just read a post from a guy doing this where he would eat CRAP all day his carb nite....not really what I want to do! I was thinking eating a whole sweet potato, a piece of fruit and maybe butternut squash or some other higher carb veggie. Not wanting to do it as a free for all night! Sticking to paleo!
  • epcooper
    Options
    I'm planning to enjoy some of the paleo baked goods it seems like I never get to have. I have a recipe for chocolate chip muffins that I LOVE. I also love banana ice cream, but it never fits into my carb goals. Usually I have to choose between eating either a half a sweet potato or a (small) banana, and it's still a struggle for me to stay under my carb limit.

I certainly don't plan to eat crap on carb nite, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the higher-carb foods that are off limits (for my goals of weight loss) when I eat my normal paleo diet.
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been on this diet and it is hard, but you see results instantly (even after being paleo for over 2 years). It's nothing too different from a keto diet except the 1x a week backload. It is good for losing tons of weight, or those pesky last 10 lbs. A big misconception is you have to eat crap, but there are a lot of paleo treats out there that are plenty high carb without eating donuts and ice cream (i.e. sweet potatoes, bananas, pumpkin). Plus, the author pretty much follows a primal diet (grain and legume free). He was on the Paleo Solution Podcast if you don't want to read the book. http://robbwolf.com/2012/11/27/kiefer-carb-backloading-episode-160/
  • epcooper
    Options
    I've been on this diet and it is hard, but you see results instantly (even after being paleo for over 2 years). It's nothing too different from a keto diet except the 1x a week backload. It is good for losing tons of weight, or those pesky last 10 lbs. A big misconception is you have to eat crap, but there are a lot of paleo treats out there that are plenty high carb without eating donuts and ice cream (i.e. sweet potatoes, bananas, pumpkin). Plus, the author pretty much follows a primal diet (grain and legume free). He was on the Paleo Solution Podcast if you don't want to read the book. http://robbwolf.com/2012/11/27/kiefer-carb-backloading-episode-160/

Thanks! I'm glad to hear someone else has done it. I'm not planning to do it very long, but I may do multiple cycles if it works as well as people say it does.

BTW - love your Alkaline Trio backdrop pic!
  • agentventi
    Options
    do you plan to do the 10 day cycles or longer? I think I will start there and see where that gets me. How many carbs a day would you eat on a normal day vs a carb nite?
  • epcooper
    Options
    do you plan to do the 10 day cycles or longer? I think I will start there and see where that gets me. How many carbs a day would you eat on a normal day vs a carb nite?

The book says to start with 9 1/2 days ultra low-carb (<30 grams net), then indulge in your first carb nite. After that, go back to the ultra low-carb, with a carb nite scheduled once a week (but no sooner than 5 days from the last). You can continue the cycle for up to 6 months.

Yesterday was the first day I've gotten my net carbs below 30, which is perfect for me because that puts my first carb nite a week from Friday. The book doesn't specify how many grams of carbs to eat on carb nite, but from all the other research I've done, it looks like we women are supposed to have a high-carb/low-fat snack to kick off around 5pm (like a very ripe banana), have a carb-heavy dinner, then a dessert with a good mix of carbs and fat (like ice cream). Then it's bed time....which I can confirm from my previous carb binges. I get sooo sleepy.

The author stresses that it's very important to do this once a week to keep fat-burning hormones properly elevated. You can schedule when you want as long as it's somewhere between 5 and 8 days from your last carb nite.
  • SoulReckoning
    SoulReckoning Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am starting the CNS today. I am going to try and make it very Paleo/Primal, although I might not make it 100%. I've just started getting into this particular train of thought and not everyone around me is on board. Particularly some friends I am very close to. So, MFP, podcasts, websites, and other non face-to-face media is where I'll be getting my support!

So, nice to meet y'all! <--- I'm an Oakie...from Oklahoma.

I also agree that a CarbNite doens't have to be donuts and processed food. I plan to eat paleo muffins and cookies, maybe a little sushi for my dinner? Not real paleo because of rice but Chinese food and Sushi are my kryptonite!

Anyway, I'll be seein you all around here I hope!
  • epcooper
    Options
    Tonight's my first carbnite, and I'm planning on sushi with white rice as well. I think it's one of the more benign "non-paleo" foods that will give the insulin spike we're looking for. I haven't actually lost any weight in the 10 days since I started the ultra low-carb....that makes me kind of nervous to carb-up tonight, but I'm still going through with it and I'll think about dropping my carbs even further starting tomorrow.
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Tonight's my first carbnite, and I'm planning on sushi with white rice as well. I think it's one of the more benign "non-paleo" foods that will give the insulin spike we're looking for. I haven't actually lost any weight in the 10 days since I started the ultra low-carb....that makes me kind of nervous to carb-up tonight, but I'm still going through with it and I'll think about dropping my carbs even further starting tomorrow.

How did your carbnite go? I may give it a try.
  • epcooper
    Options

How did your carbnite go? I may give it a try.

I thought it went really well. I didn't plan very well, though, because the following day (yesterday) I went to an amusement park and, being unfamiliar with the place, was unable to find any food that wasn't really carb-heavy (of course I found restaurants offering meat and veg after I downed my hamburger and fries). So I basically had 2 carb nites in a row. I'm up 2.5 lbs from the first carb nite, but stayed the same after the 2nd....and now I'm really looking forward to going back to low-carb. I sent you a friend request if you want more info!
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I've decided to start today. I haven't bought the book, but have been watching Kiefer's tips on YouTube.

ETA: I do have a question, I'll message you...
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a couple months. It seemed to help kick-start some bodyfat loss, but it seemed to move me back towards insulin resistance, regardless of the claims. I've since returned to the simple, humble post-workout sweet potato, with no ill effects.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been trying carb backloading, concentrating all my carbs in the evening. I can say I've seen improvements in performance weight lifting/CF, but that's just because I'm not low carb anymore. I can't say I've seen dramatic changes in body composition, but I've only been tinkering with this the past month.

I only do carb backloading on training days, but even then, I'm not sure I'm getting enough carbs. I guess for women, we really don't need to go carb crazy like men do (lucky *kitten*!).

While I have nothing really of substance about my experience to contribute, I thought I'd share some a recipe. PaleOMG blog has the most ridiculous dessert recipes, all of which are pretty high carb. I made her Carrot Breakfast Protein Cakes, and they are super tasty with 205 cal, 18g carb, 8g protein, 12g fat. If at the end of the day you need a boost of calories and carbs, these will do the trick.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    epcooper wrote:
    I'm mostly paleo, except for homemade yogurt and the occasional cheese. I also IF though, so I'm not sure how everything will work together.
    A good friend of mine follows Dave Asprey (Bulletproof Exec) for eating, including IF, Bulletproof coffee, etc. and then adds in Kiefer's Carb Nite Solution. He is a heavy lifter and has cut his bodyfat by 2% and added 10 lbs of lean body mass since switching to the Bulletproof/CNS combination.

You might want to look in to The Bulletproof Exec for your normal paleo/LC eating, it is very clearly a good solution for my friend. I am personally using a combo of Mark Sisson, Gary Taubes, and Dave Asprey from a nutrition and fitness perspective.