Easy Fast!

Hi,

I joined the group recently looking for healthy ways to celebrate the holidays. So I decided to wish everyone an easy fast tomorrow!

Replies

• Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    Thank you. Easy fast to you as well.

What are people breaking their fast with?
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Fast is over in Australia!
    Mushroom, leek and barley soup
    Low fat lasagne
    zucchini slice (shredded zucchini, skim milk, eggs, shredded cheese, wholemeal flour, oil, eggs, onion, salt pepper )
    skim milk, berries and icecream in blender.
    Tzom Kal everyone!
  • Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    I'm baking cinnamon buns. I can have 4 or 5 and still be well under my calorie goal. I'll probably be full after 2, though.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    How do you prepare for a fast, especially Tisha Be'av? Usually I eat at least twice what I eat in a normal day which itself is twice what I need to eat.
    Any suggestions?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It's hard to fast when I'm weighted down. We eat lighter, actually.
  • Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    I don't think eating extra helps. But whatever you do eat should be good quality and maybe not too salty. The key especially in Summer is to drink a lot and have stuff like grapes and watermelon that hold water and some people swear by Gatorade. I make sure to drink a coffee right before the fast starts instead of my coffee for the next morning. Or if it starts in the morning I wake up early.
  • Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    I actually like to eat salty foods before a fast - they help you retain water. If you're going to do salty, just make sure to drink extra. Don't worry about the scale if you retain some of the water - it's only temporary.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    i made this tofu and mushroom soup which was delicious. Thinking of making it for before/after the fast as well

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/6644/Mushroom-And-Tofu-Soup.html
    I added leek and bok choi leaves

it is quite salty, but is also light and filling at the same time...
  • David_273
  • MostlyWater
    it was a space ship.
  • David_273
    These are the 2 recipes from http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/169885#

Vegan Corn Chowder (4 servings)

This non-dairy corn chowder is the easiest soup that can actually be served cold or hot. It is inspired from Judita Wingall's Raw & Simple cookbook.

Prep Time : 5 min Ready Time : 5 min

Ingredients:
    2 pounds frozen corn kernels, thawed (you can use fresh off the cob if it is in season)

2 cups water

1/4 avocado, plus more for garnish

3 cloves garlic

1 lime, juiced

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon chipolata or chili powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Garnish: diced avocado, diced tomato, chopped cilantro, chopped jalapeno, chopped red onion
    Directions

In a blender, blend together all but 1 cup of the corn, the water, the avocado, garlic, lime juice, chipolata, salt, and pepper until smooth. Stir in the extra cup of corn and adjust seasoning to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with garnish of choice.

If you wish you serve it hot, you can warm on the stove or microwave and then add the garnish before serving. If your family members aren't broccoli fans, substitute a frozen vegetable of your choice.

Easy Macaroni and Cheese - No Bake (4 servings)

Prep Time : 20 min Cook Time : 10 min Ready Time : 30 min

Ingredients:

8 oz (2 cups) whole wheat elbow noodles1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli

1 3/4 cups low-fat milk, divided

3 tablespoons flour

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese

1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.

Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined.

Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in Cheddar, Parmesan and mustard until the cheese is melted.

Drain the pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until heated through, about 1 minute.
  • MostlyWater
    tha nk you