Crazy symptoms - anyone experience this???

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I didnt know where to post this so figured this board would be as good as any since many of us take the same medications and are on the same type of eating plan, etc. The past two days I have been having what I thought was a blood sugar crash but now I am not so sure. First a little background - I am hypoT/Hashi's and also have insulin resistance. I take 1000 mg of Metformin daily, split into a morning and night time dose. I also take 105mg Armour and lots of vitamin supplements. None of them are new, I have been taking them forever. I am on a low carb/low sugar eating plan. In the past I have stayed under/at 50g NET carbs per day with no issues. The only time I have ever had sugar crashes is if I dont eat for several hours (like skipping lunch or something). I also try to stay gluten free and dairy free. I say try because I tend to let my judgement lapse and revert to my old ways. LOL This past weekend (4th of July weekend) I was very bad! I drank a lot of wine, ate lots of sweets, bread, etc. Lots of stuff I dont normally eat on a regular basis. Anyway, coming back on Monday I got back on track. I have been eating more fruit than usual so a little higher on carbs the past couple days than normal - maybe around 100 - 150 net. Ok so now that you have that info... the past two days in the late afternoon, I have had the following symptoms - nausea, headache, slight dizziness, sort of a weird out of it feeling, agitation - very grumpy, easily irritated, etc. (blodo sugar crash feels like this) Yesterday I ate some fruit and it subsided but then in the evening I almost passed out and I felt HORRIBLE. I ended up stuffing myself with orange juice and gluten free cookies and for whatever reason, I felt better afterwards. Today I had the above symptoms PLUS I was so agitated that my jewelry was bothering me, my shoes felt too tight, pants felt too tight, bra too tight, you get the idea, my hands got slightly swollen to the point that my wedding ring WAS too tight and would not come off. My skin was sensitive to the touch and painful. My hands and arms hurt. I was very emotional, like on the verge of crying (not sure if this was a symptom or because I was freaked out), and somewhat disoriented, I had a BAD headache and felt VERY nauseous. I also felt hot but clammy. This lasted the better part of 2 hours. I had fruit with lunch AND breakfast before this all happened and a couple pieces of chocolate to try and bring sugar levels up. I felt better after that but not great. After dinner, I felt better. Now, I feel fine. Today I actually thought that I might need to go to the ER. It freaked me out. I havent made any changes to meds at all. Like I said before, my sugar crashes typically only happen if I completely skip a meal or go many hours (4-6) without eating something and they arent like what happened today. I am not diabetic, only IR but the Metformin helps to keep my sugar levels lower so that I do not produce excess insulin. Also, I had been drinking water all day so dont think I was dehydrated.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What was it?

Replies

• LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    Being hypoglycemic, all of this sounds like my life when I'm not careful lol. The burning question though, is it that time of the month? The swelling and skin sensitivity plus heightened blood sugar issues would point to yes. You may have also shocked your system with so much sugar compared to your usual intake. Try easing yourself back into your usual sugar/carb routine from what you were. Eat a good amount of complex in the morning and your morning snack or lunch, maybe a piece of fruit and or chocolate after lunch and slowly cut back (2 weeks at least)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    No, not TOM but I did think that maybe I need to cut back on the carbs a bit. I asked my mom about it also (she IS diabetic) and she said I could just be having issues from the weekend as well. She said my pancreas is overloaded and trying to get all the sugar and crap out of my body and might be having a tough time. That makes sense to me.