Gluten Free eating after weight loss surgery

Options
cspinelli712
cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
I sure do need some help with this one. Has anyone who has had gastric bypass surgery been told to eat gluten free? I am really confused about this. I know I should be eating a protein driven diet put sometimes I need a piece of bread or a few crackers. I am 4 months post op and really need to have an answer about this. What could be the harm of having a slice of whole grain bread for breakfast? I have tried the gluten free breads and have paid around $7.00 a loaf and it tastes horrible.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thank you for your help.

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was doing almost zero carb, just fruit and vegetables. My surgeon and dietitian told me I NEEDED to add back things like whole grains (didn't say it had to be wheat.) They suggested oatmeal, grits, raisin bran even. They did tell me that a piece of bread was not a no no. I was given a copy of the bariatric food pyramid. I posted the website for it a while back. If anyone wants to see it I will post it again.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy after gastric bypass and realized it was causing a lot of my weight issues (still is since I am addicted to it and relapse since it is soooo hard to avoid and is in everything that tastes good when eating out:grumble: ). Wheat not only has gluten which can cause leaky gut which makes your vitamin/mineral absorption even less than it already is with bypass, but it can cause a lot of health issues like inflammation and other systemic conditions since most of us are intolerant if not allergic to it. I make my own bread from ground flax and I use coconut flour to bake. They are not only gluten free but very low in carbs since they are almost all fiber. I have some great recipes I can send you if you want them just msg me with an email and I can send them or I can cut and paste them into a msg on here, too if others are interested. My favorite cookbook is a small coconut cookbook that has all kinds of foods made with coconut flour. I also buy bread sometimes and the only brand worth eating in my opinion is Udi's. It doesn't crumble or mush up like other GF brands I have tried. Stay away from Rudi's it it just a rude version of Udi's that crumbles if you even look at it hard. There are great GF crackers on the market and other products if you feel you really just want that kind of thing. Look in the health food section of your grocery store and once you find something you like many times it is a lot cheaper to buy them online. If you have any questions or need any help making a recipe GF just ask I have been doing this for about 4 years now. I feel so much better when I stay away from the wheat.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I believe I am gluten intolerant. As a matter of fact, even though my surgeon says that gluten had no effect on my gallbladder which I had removed in march of this year I know my attacks occurred when I had high gluten diets. That being said I do eat bread and other high gluten and carb foods now at 14 months post op. I am still loosing and eating quite a bit. I think it is all about balance. However at 4 months out, I stayed away from those foods. Fruits and veggies were my friend and the crackers and bread made me feel awful. I felt like the fruits and veggis sat so nicely in my pouch and the other made me tight and uncomfortable. It is still often that way. I think you are encouraged to stay away because many of us prior to surgery suffered from a high sugar/carb/gluten diet. The sooner you turn back to it the less you will be able to fight those urges in the future. Before this surgery, I could not turn food especially bread away. I was a high carb eater. Post surgery, I am very able to say no thank you and my intense cravings are gone. My head and cravings are clear and I can make food choices that I could not make before. Before surgery I felt like I had no control over my eating habits and now I have complete control. I remember the first time I had pizza post op and was so disappointed as it did not taste as I had remembered it. I can truly pass it up for a salad or piece of chicken instead.

I say this all to encourage you to stay away those foods early on. You will get to have them again. Right now it is more about head hunger... i.e. your brain says you always have crackers with chili, so you must have them now, but turn it down now and learn to take control again. Then when the time comes to make healthy or not so healthy choices you will have control not your cravings. I hope this rambling make sense.

good luck
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I believe I am gluten intolerant. As a matter of fact, even though my surgeon says that gluten had no effect on my gallbladder which I had removed in march of this year I know my attacks occurred when I had high gluten diets. That being said I do eat bread and other high gluten and carb foods now at 14 months post op. I am still loosing and eating quite a bit. I think it is all about balance. However at 4 months out, I stayed away from those foods. Fruits and veggies were my friend and the crackers and bread made me feel awful. I felt like the fruits and veggis sat so nicely in my pouch and the other made me tight and uncomfortable. It is still often that way. I think you are encouraged to stay away because many of us prior to surgery suffered from a high sugar/carb/gluten diet. The sooner you turn back to it the less you will be able to fight those urges in the future. Before this surgery, I could not turn food especially bread away. I was a high carb eater. Post surgery, I am very able to say no thank you and my intense cravings are gone. My head and cravings are clear and I can make food choices that I could not make before. Before surgery I felt like I had no control over my eating habits and now I have complete control. I remember the first time I had pizza post op and was so disappointed as it did not taste as I had remembered it. I can truly pass it up for a salad or piece of chicken instead.

I say this all to encourage you to stay away those foods early on. You will get to have them again. Right now it is more about head hunger... i.e. your brain says you always have crackers with chili, so you must have them now, but turn it down now and learn to take control again. Then when the time comes to make healthy or not so healthy choices you will have control not your cravings. I hope this rambling make sense.

good luck

This is exactly my story, except I rely on protein these days much more than veggies. But I feel so much better getting the processed white carb monkey off my back.
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Ann, thank you for your reply. I will try some oatmeal for breakfast and start there. I see you are only 12 pounds alway from goal. I want to congratulate you on your success. I have lost 63 pounds but I still have a long way to go. I made an appointment with my Nut. for next Thursday and I hope to get this straightened out. I have weighted the same now for a month and for the life of me I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am a little frustrated and hope to break this weight loss stall soon.
    Thank you again for your insight.
    Cheryl
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Amy,
    Thank you for your reply. I really would like your Gluten Free bread recipe. I will give you my email address so you can send it to me. I really miss bread and this will help. I will also look up Udi's online and place an order. I know bread on line is expensive but I live in an area where gluten free is hard to find. I have only found 1 restaurant that has gluten free. I have been told that I need to stay away from wheat (which contains gluten) so anything wheat is out of the question. I have a friend who went to culinary school and he told me that all breads contain wheat it does not matter if white, wheat, rye or sourdough so the recipe will be helpful. I have increased my protein intake to around 80-90 grams of protein each day and I am starting to include cooked veggies. I 4 months I have lost 63 pounds but I have another 120 to lose. For the past month I have not lost 1 pound so I am not sure what in the world is going on with me. Here is my email address: caspinelli1@verizon.net
    Thank you again for your help.
    Cheryl
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Grim,
    I want to thank you as well for your response. I guess I am a carb junky at heart. I hear what you are saying about food cravings. Before my surgery 4 months ago I felt like I had no control over bread, pizza, cookies, cake and candy. All I wanted was anything high in carbs and sugar. I would try so hard but I gave in and tried so many diets and failed. I knew in my heart I needed this surgery. I see that you, Amy and MHorn have lost so much weight. You ladies rock and have done such an awesome job. All of you should be so proud of yourselves. I have lost 63 pounds and need to drop another 120 pounds so I still have along road ahead of me. I am so happy that I found all of you. this forum is great. There are days I just get frustrated since I have not lost any weight in the past month. Not sure if this is normal but I am down 63 pounds that I could not have done if I did not have the surgery. This surgery has saved my life and If I had to do it again I would.
    Thanks again to you and all the ladies for your support.
    Cheryl
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Can you please post the bariatic food pryamid it would be so helpful to me and I am sure it will help those who just joined this group. I have a nut. but sometimes she is so confusing to me and I just want to get this straight in my own mind.
    thank you again.
  • cspinelli712
    Options

good luck
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    http://www.drsharma.ca/wp-content/uploads/sharma-obesity-nutritional-pyramid-bariatric-surgery.gif

This is the website for the bariatric pyramid. Wish I knew how to post the picture of it.
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Hi Ann, I just read your posting and I have been doing the same thing mostly eating protein and a few fruits each day. It has been 4 months since my surgery and I just went to my nut. last week and was told to add veggies and more fruit to my diet and that this woulod help with my hair loss. I was also told to only have 1 protein shake a day and eat normal food the rest of the time. Well, needless to say I am afraid of stopping my protein shakes. My weight loss has been slow according to my nut. but my surgeons's PA told me I am on target so I do not know who to believe. I just know that if I did not have this surgery I would not have been able to get rid of my weight. As of today I am down 72 pounds and counting. I still have a long road ahead of me and now I am afraid to eat regular food. Did you experience anything like this? Thanks Ann
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    Hi Ann, I just read your posting and I have been doing the same thing mostly eating protein and a few fruits each day. It has been 4 months since my surgery and I just went to my nut. last week and was told to add veggies and more fruit to my diet and that this woulod help with my hair loss. I was also told to only have 1 protein shake a day and eat normal food the rest of the time. Well, needless to say I am afraid of stopping my protein shakes. My weight loss has been slow according to my nut. but my surgeons's PA told me I am on target so I do not know who to believe. I just know that if I did not have this surgery I would not have been able to get rid of my weight. As of today I am down 72 pounds and counting. I still have a long road ahead of me and now I am afraid to eat regular food. Did you experience anything like this? Thanks Ann

I seldom do protein shakes--I honestly haven't done many since maybe the 3rd week after surgery. I always focus on my lean meats and eat them first--cut into dime size bites usually. (I can handle more now, but chew them well.) I eat my veggies next, and don't do my starches until after that, if I still have room. I don't see a nutritionist, but see a registered dietitian who has specialized in bariatrics for 15 years. She works with my surgeon. I have been very, very fortunate because I have encountered no problems at all since my surgery--no vomiting, no dumping, NO hair loss to speak of at all. I take Bariatric Advantage supplements--multi, calcium, iron, and sublingual B12. Always log everything and make sure I get at least 60 grams of protein per day. (I can't do much more because of a history of kidney problems--I'm a type I diabetic on an insulin pump.)

I think the only time I had an issue with any regular food was around Thanksgiving--that was 2 months post surgery. The turkey and the dressing just didn't want to stay down and every time I tried to eat it, it just moved back up. Not throwing up, but that reverse swallowing thing. Don't think the stomach likes mushy things with meat. Will see next Thanksgiving how that goes. I also have NO issues with wheat, or with milk. Sadly, and maybe NOT to my advantage, I can eat nearly anything. Hope everything goes well for you. It looks like you are doing fantastic! Feel free to send me a FR if you need any support!
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Ann, thanks again, this is my first day with only 1 protein shake a day. This is so hard and I am so afraid of gaining weight. I have lost 72 pounds but I have 109 more to go. I just do not want to mess this up. I had my first beef meal today. I had shredded beef and ate about 2 oz's will eat the rest tonight. I have to tell you the beef went down better than I thought and tasted great and I also feel better(maybe hair loss will slow down in a couple of weeks). Thanks again Ann
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Ann, thanks again, this is my first day with only 1 protein shake a day. This is so hard and I am so afraid of gaining weight. I have lost 72 pounds but I have 109 more to go. I just do not want to mess this up. I had my first beef meal today. I had shredded beef and ate about 2 oz's will eat the rest tonight. I have to tell you the beef went down better than I thought and tasted great and I also feel better(maybe hair loss will slow down in a couple of weeks). Thanks again Ann

Glad to see you are having some success with the meats. :0)
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    sharma-obesity-nutritional-pyramid-bariatric-surgery.gif

Sorry i guess it's too big for this forum. All I did was add the hypertext img and /img tags before and after the link in brackets of course. :).