Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K last week and am going to start 5K-to-10K on Monday, so this morning I used the free run option in my app and ran the 5K course I'm signed up for in August just to see how long it takes me. I was hoping to make the loop in 38 minutes and finished in 34:33. The start & finish lines must be staggered slightly for the race because according to my app I didn't quite go a full 5K, but still I was really happy with my time. I ran 2.05 miles on Wednesday at a pace of 13:00/mile and today went 2.94 at a pace of 11:45.
    That's awesome! I think I'm going to sign up for a 5K that's basically behind my house (like, I can walk out my back door to go to it and walk home after) in a couple weeks, and I'm hoping to get it in under 40min. Good for you!
  • angelasmithhenderson
    angelasmithhenderson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i've thought about trying this program many times. I like to work out , but running has never interested me. My friends say it's one of the best ways to lose weight. I've enlisted my husband this time. He says he'll do it with me, but i have my doubts. We are starting on Monday.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Im 45 yrs old and always hated running. I started the c25k because I finally accepted the fact that you never see fat runners. They are healthy! I just finished w2d3. I already look forward to my next day with c25k. I want to do it everyday....shouldnt of course sobi am patient and wait through the day of rest. Its really so easy! I think that's why I love it already. The running is short intervals with time between to recover. And every 60 seconds of running is rewarded with 1.5 min of walking as well as the satisfaction that I DID IT! the sense of accomplishment is fantastic! I accomplish 1 interval at time...one day at a time...one week at a time. EMPOWERING!
    JUST TRY IT for 2 weeks before you put it down. Good luck!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    i've thought about trying this program many times. I like to work out , but running has never interested me. My friends say it's one of the best ways to lose weight. I've enlisted my husband this time. He says he'll do it with me, but i have my doubts. We are starting on Monday.
    This is a great program to try running. It moves you along at a reasonable but challenging pace if you've never run before. Lots of us were not into running & discovered a passion for it using C25K. Good luck!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options

This is me, except I'm not married. Everyone here walks or runs, and I finally figured I'd give it a try. To my surprise, I'm really liking it. I've never run more than a mile before, and that was twenty years ago. It's a great challenge, it's not easy, but not impossible and I say this as someone who has a lot to lose and is not athletic. I just finished week 8. 28 straight minutes of running. I remember week one's intervals being hard. Now that makes me chuckle..
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K last week and am going to start 5K-to-10K on Monday, so this morning I used the free run option in my app and ran the 5K course I'm signed up for in August just to see how long it takes me. I was hoping to make the loop in 38 minutes and finished in 34:33. The start & finish lines must be staggered slightly for the race because according to my app I didn't quite go a full 5K, but still I was really happy with my time. I ran 2.05 miles on Wednesday at a pace of 13:00/mile and today went 2.94 at a pace of 11:45.

edited to fix a typo

That's amazing! Well done!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be right on 30 for the race.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    That's awesome! I think I'm going to sign up for a 5K that's basically behind my house (like, I can walk out my back door to go to it and walk home after) in a couple weeks, and I'm hoping to get it in under 40min. Good for you!

Do it! There's an annual 5K every 4th of July that winds around my house. I signed up with a friend who unfortunately hadn't been running so we walked a good portion of it, but it still felt good to be on what felt like home court advantage. There are some bigger hills on the route and it was nice to be able to tell myself "You run up this hill all the time - you've got this."
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Week 5 day 2. Was hard going as the sun was hot at 9am, and my earphones really irritate me. Should probably invest in an armband to hold mp3 player. Anyway, with all those distractions, I still managed to complete my run. Next up, 20 minutes without stopping. It will be a challenge, but it will be worth it I am sure.
  • Trent1612000
    Trent1612000 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    W2D1 done..... I am sticking to this. Went and bought running shoes and socks yesterday to remind myself this is an investment in me.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    W2D1 done..... I am sticking to this. Went and bought running shoes and socks yesterday to remind myself this is an investment in me.

The new shoes & socks will make a huge difference. It won't be too much longer before you're looking forward to getting out for those runs, so I'm happy to hear you're sticking with it.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Week 9 Day 3 done! Woo Hoo! I finish C25K! For this run I just relaxed and ran an easy pace. Still only covered 1.82 miles in the 30 minutes, but I ran for the entire time. Now on to 5 to 10K training and maybe I can actually run 5K one day. :)
  • uwsmama
    uwsmama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Week 3 Day 1 done! I'm so inspired by all of you who have finished!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    So I moved on past the 5k portion of c210k and tried to do w9d1 today.... TRIED. :frown: In c210k (zen labs version), w9d1 is run 10 walk 1, 4x. It was so hot and humid that I only got a few minutes into the third running interval and had to stop and walk home. I was on the verge of passing out. My head was pounding, and I felt like I was about to collapse right there on the trail. It was awful. My last 5 or so runs have been bad. I know runners go through periods of bad runs sometimes, but it doesn't make it less frustrating. I guess I'll be repeating w9d1 on Tuesday.

It's supposed to be even hotter on Tuesday and Thursday for my next runs, which I usually do after work, so it looks like I'll be waking up at 4:30 and braving the trails in the dark. :sick:
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So I moved on past the 5k portion of c210k and tried to do w9d1 today.... TRIED. :frown: In c210k (zen labs version), w9d1 is run 10 walk 1, 4x. It was so hot and humid that I only got a few minutes into the third running interval and had to stop and walk home. I was on the verge of passing out. My head was pounding, and I felt like I was about to collapse right there on the trail. It was awful. My last 5 or so runs have been bad. I know runners go through periods of bad runs sometimes, but it doesn't make it less frustrating. I guess I'll be repeating w9d1 on Tuesday.

It's supposed to be even hotter on Tuesday and Thursday for my next runs, which I usually do after work, so it looks like I'll be waking up at 4:30 and braving the trails in the dark. :sick:

Sorry you had a bad run :( However I usually find a brilliant one follows a bad one.

W5D3 done, I was full of energy the entire time and even managed to bump the speed up for the second 8 minute run
    3.16 miles at an average of 6.1mph :)

Question for anyone who has ran on the treadmill and on land: do you find the land slows you down? I run on a 1% incline when I'm on the treadmill and I plan to get outside next week, but I'm worried it will affect my performance!
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D3 this morning while visiting my son 300 miles away. It was tough to get up early and find a place to run near the hotel but it was my best pace yet. This week's weather is supposed to be really warm and humid so I am hoping my early morning runs will be tolerable.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Week 5 day 2 complete! A little intimidated for the notorious week 5 day 3, but I have been able to complete every workout so far, so I'm gearing up for success!
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Finally finished week one today! I kept having lapses due to the weather. But I did it! Onto week 2 this coming week!
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options

I'm doing this exact programme. The first run was pretty tough but by the third I was used to it. Starting week 10 today. 15 mins three times. Will let you know...

Ps the heat here is really high too. I don't think you should under estimate the difference that makes so keep your chin up x
  • latepaul
    latepaul Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Did W5d2 of c25k today - found those 8min runs tough. TBH I'm dreading Wednesday which is supposed to be W5D3 - 20mins in one stretch! oh dear!!