Stumped for breakfast ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast. I put whole almonds and quarter cup of organic oats in my yogurt. Stir and eat. It is so good. I also love whole grain bagels with peanut butter. Love Kashi cereals. Steel with a tiny bit of honey and walnuts.
  • Terry903
    Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh man! Now I am hungry too! I think that sounds marvelous. I love anything with avocados! I also like the ready made pancake ideas! Thank you!
  • Terry903
    Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How do you keep your 'taters? Do you bake the potatoes and then keep them in the fridge? I love sweet potatoes!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you can get coconut flour somewhere, you can make great things with it: omelettes, delicious pancakes and muffins. Not to mention bread that stays fresh for many days.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    During the summer months my daughters and I make fruit smoothies with yoghurt. When I want something hot, but faster than eggs, I make porridge. Bob Red Mill's 6 grain wheatless is naturally sweet. Add chia seeds for more protein. If you want a sweetner, try maple syrup or unfiltered raw honey--go for the least amount. I find 1/2 tsp with a dash of Celtic salt makes a difference.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Often breakfast is after 10am and often just some walnuts is all I want til lunch (1-3pm).
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Smoothies - so many things you can do with them. Just got a Nutribullet and it makes them super easy and quick to clean up (unlike my blender). My fav is baby spinach, banana, froz strawberries and a scoop of peanut butter, with water or milk of your choice to make it the consistency you like. Tastes like a PB&J. Add other nutritional stuff as desired (flax, chia, etc.)

Oatmeal with a tbl of peanut butter or handful of nuts on top. Sometimes add fresh fruit or fruit preserves. Oatmeal is also really good if you dice up an apple and add it while you cook. Sprinkle with cinnamon and add a dash of honey.

Greek yogurt with fresh berries, and squeeze of honey.

Hard boiled eggs seasons with salt and pepper and smooshed on either fresh veggies like celery and cukes, or on the toasted bread product of your choice. Still eggs, but at least I don't have to cook them on lazy mornings.

On REALLY rushed or lazy mornings, sometimes I'll just eat a handful of almonds. It's usually enough to get me by til early lunch.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's usually nothing clean at my house, so I just play it safe and have coffee.
  • bijou89
    bijou89 Posts: 3
    Options
    Slow cooked chicken with sweet potato or chicken and gluten free bread sandwich with shredded cabbage, carrot and red onion with mustard. Slow cooking chicken makes it so much more tender and you can add whatever you like to it while cooking the night before. I also mix 4 egg whites with 1/2 scoop of G/F vegan protein powder the night before with oats and then add a little almond milk and cook it in the microwave for around 2 mins adding 1c frozen berries half way through cooking. Chicken and peanut butter is also a good one with an apple for after. Quest and Victory protein bars are also good for on the go but they are not dairy free. Michael Kory on youtube offers some great recipes for all types of meals and has other videos on nutrition and training which you may also find helpful. x
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    One of my current favorite things is - not sure what it's called - it's not cereal?

Fruit - small or cut small - I did blueberries, strawberries, banana last time but whatever you have laying about
    Dried fruit if you want
    Nuts - whatever kind - I had a few mixed nuts leftover and a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut
    Unsweetened almond milk - to top it with

Ate it with a spoon like cereal - but not? Anyway, it was yummy and can be made to fit whatever you have on hand.
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    Overnight Oats are a great go to breakfast when you're in a rush. The combinations are endless too. All you have to do is soak your oats (I use 1/2 cup) in milk of your choice (I use unsweetened almond) with some chia seeds. Leave in the fridge overnight and the oats will have absorbed the liquid. You can also use Greek yoghurt/ cottage cheese and you can add fruits, nuts, protein powder, seeds... anything really. These can be enjoyed cold but you can also reheat them :)
  • Christinebell65
    Options
    I'm new to clean eating and new to this group. I'm back after months away from MFP. Looking to learn from members and stay on track. Thank you all for your contributions.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I do a tofu scramble. If you sauté onion & a red bell pepper the night before, in the am all you have to do is drain extra firm tofu, sauté w/the veggies, add turmeric, cumin, corn if you want, black beans, salsa, and, if desired, throw in some avocado to take it to the next level. A corn tortilla if in your food plan would go along w/this. I have some broccoli cheddar muffins I make from Clean Eating magazine often as well.
  • elli_be1
    elli_be1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a lactose free yogurt with berries :)
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Overnight Oats are a great go to breakfast when you're in a rush. The combinations are endless too. All you have to do is soak your oats (I use 1/2 cup) in milk of your choice (I use unsweetened almond) with some chia seeds. Leave in the fridge overnight and the oats will have absorbed the liquid. You can also use Greek yoghurt/ cottage cheese and you can add fruits, nuts, protein powder, seeds... anything really. These can be enjoyed cold but you can also reheat them :)

i've been hearing about overnight oats for awhile now but I've never tried them. This convinced me! Thanks!
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    My son loves banana pancakes in the morning before he leaves for work.

Very easy to make too - one ripe banana, two eggs - mash all together (he puts them in the blender til smooth).

Then treat just like you would pancake batter, they come out looking like pancakes and tasting like banana bread - takes him less than 10 min to make.

Here's a recipe similar to what he does but he doesn't use chia seeds.

http://www.livestrong.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/livestrongrecipesV2_02.jpg
  • kellyskitties
    Options
    Here's a new discovery: Sweet potatoes with nut butter. I usually have a few baked sweet potatoes on hand. This week I've been heating them up in the microwave for breakfast. Sprinkle of salt, some peanut butter or almond butter....so so good.

OK, so glad I came here. I think that sounds FABULOUS (sung loudly and high pitched). Might be my plan tomorrow!

One of my fave's if nobody said it yet is banana pancakes - 1 banana blended in blender with 1-2 eggs (2 for large banana 1 for small). Cook in silver dollar or slightly larger pancakes. Use as mini sandwich breads for some meat (bacon!) or dip in acceptable syrup (I do maple or honey - just a spoonful and I'll work to get it all off the plate LOL).

edited to say - HAHA - somebody beat me to banana pancakes!
  • kellyskitties
    Options
    How do you keep your 'taters? Do you bake the potatoes and then keep them in the fridge? I love sweet potatoes!

I bake a bunch all at once in the crock pot- I just rub them with oil and sprinkle a little salt (optional of course). Load up pot, put on lid. Turn on high. Takes a looong time. Then I store them in fridge in a bowl with a lid. Through the week they become baked potatoes, fried potatoes, potato hash (I'm feeling like a forrest gump character...), potato soup... you get the point. Quick cooking potatoes from then on. I'm even known to just have a lone potato sitting on a fridge shelf!
  • lmw6796
    lmw6796 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm SO doing this today! Too hot for ovens here right now! Yay!