Max's Muscle Up / Maxine's Shape Up Challenge 2013

Options
SkimFlatWhite68
SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
Hi fellow Aussies!

I was just wondering if anyone is thinking of doing, or has pre-registered for the Max's or Maxine's 2013 Challenge? If you watch Max's Muscle TV, they had a one hour special on it last week, and you can also watch it from the link on the website if you missed it. It's a good show - or at least I like it because I like watching the fellas go through their paces *blushes*.

http://www.maxchallenge.com.au/maxs/ - for the boys
http://www.maxineschallenge.com.au/maxines/ - for the girls

I am thinking of doing it, but not really sure. Would appreciate any feedback if anyone did it last year. The challenge is free to join, all you have to do is put up your photo, wearing cosies (ugh) and holding a newspaper.

I have still about another 8-10kg to lose, and really enjoy weight training, so I think it might be a good challenge for me to get through the next part of my transformation... I don't expect to get anywhere near looking like I'll be on the front cover of Oxygen magazine, but all improvements are welcome :)

I also suspect that there will be a few supplements involved, which I'm not really that into. I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them, but I think I could easily just do my own food plan and follow the workouts (which is the part that I'm really interested in).

Anyway - if anyone is doing it, perhaps we could keep a thread going, or create a group. Or if anyone did it last year, I would be really interested in how it went.

Thanks! Hope you have a great day :)

(No, I am not associated with the Challenge in any way, or advertising it for commercial purposes - this is strictly for my benefit)

Replies

• FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi Skim,

Still sitting on the fence myself (whether or not to do the challenge), so I'm curious to see your responses.

Oh by the way, it is tough watching those fellas isn't it?.....
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bumping to check out later, I can always use a bit of extra motivation!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I popped into GNC George St on my way home and the Maxine's Burn Protein powder is about $35 for a container which is 20 serves. Expensive compared to the one that I get now, will have to compare the ingredients, I get Goliath Labs Viscious Vanilla. I'm pretty happy with my PP so I may just stick with mine (mostly for protein pancakes and my breakfast bake). I think the competition states you have to buy at least one Maxine's product, but that's ok with me, I'll get a chocolate flavour for a change. No big deal.

Registrations start 15 July, I have decided to register and see how I go.

I'm in the middle of a 5 week plan right now which finishes on the weekend before the challenge starts, so it's great timing. I can go out for my birthday weekend and then hit Monday 29 July with the start of the challenge and be in great shape by the long weekend in October, typically the first beach weather weekend. I will be entering in the "private" category so I won't be eligible for prizes, but the challenge is really a personal one for me anyway. I'm trying to better myself!!

Bit excited now that I've decided to do it :) Pixie, i am Looking forward to the inspiration it gives me and motivation to finish!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    See below for FAQ's on the Challenge.
    Anyone else going to,join?

5 days to go! Wow, we hope you are as excited and ready as we are! Just a quick note today on some more frequently asked questions we are getting in the lead up to registrations opening next Monday the 15th.

WILL I GET NUTRITION AND TRAINING PLANS AS PART OF THE CHALLENGE?

Short answer is - Yes! :
    We will provide you detailed training and nutrition plans based on the following timeframes - weeks 1-4, weeks 5-8, and weeks 9-12.
    The plans for weeks 5-8 and the final 4 weeks will only be available as the dates in the program arise.
    Trust in the training and nutrition plans. They work. Try and stick to them!

As Master Coach Fred will tell you more than once along the way – this is all about ‘test and measure’. It’s a process of trial and error until you figure out what’s best and what’s working for you specifically.

Our expert team of Coaches and Ambassadors will be on hand almost 24/7 for support and information. If you have any queries whatsoever along the way so we urge you to utilise their years of expertise. More info on how you can access them below.

WHAT SUPPORT WILL I GET THROUGH THE CHALLENGE?

As well as providing you with all the necessary training and nutrition programs, you will get access to a large variety of online video tips about nutrition and training and most importantly access to our team of Coaches, Ambassadors and the whole Challenge community for support! You will also get access to our Challenge forum.

Even though we have separated the Challenge for men and women for judging purposes, one of the MOST important parts of the entire Challenge process is the community that develops between Challengers as the 12 weeks progresses.

Use the forum for:

General Support along the way
    Having questions answered by our coaches and ambassadors
    Sources of information on training tips
    Sources of information on nutrition tips
    As a key in your motivation and state of mind along the way
    The great thing about this forum is that both men and women can access the same forum. Even though we have separated the competition for judging – we are all in this together!

The forum is easy to use and will be divided into a few different sections:

Nutrition
    Training
    Motivation
    General Chit Chat
    Admin/Technical Help
    Just post a question on any of those topics in the relevant area and you will get help from not only our team, but also the entire Challenge community! Only people successfully registered for the Challenge and our team of Coaches, Ambassadors and Challenge Admin Team can access the forum. Not the general public.

You will also be able to “search” for a topic in this year’s forum, as it can often be difficult wading through all the information. So if you want to find out a bit about ‘training legs’ or even the ‘rift’ between too much and not enough cardio – just type it in the search area and see if it’s already been covered.

Finally, our Master Coach Fred will be giving you some Challenge specific tips in the coming weeks on Muscle TV. We are also very excited to announce something very special in the way of support for every participant in the Challenge.

Each Sunday at 7:55pm (AEST), starting on Sunday 14th July (the day before registrations open) Fred will be appearing on TV4ME (Free to Air Digital Channel 74) with a special message FOR ALL CHALLENGERS! Each week at the same time on Sunday night for the entire 12 weeks of the Challenge, Fred will be on your TV screens and in your lounge rooms with a message to everyone participating in the Challenge, including which lucky Challengers have won the ‘Blog of the Week’ prize in the ‘Muscle Up’ and ‘Shape Up’ Challenges, and also very specific and incredibly useful information for your upcoming week. How good is that!

Just for you, and specific to the Challenge on FREE TO AIR TV! This will be a fantastic way for all Challengers to get some great info and most importantly get set, and get motivated for the week ahead.

If you are out and about, working or just don’t catch Fred on each Sunday night broadcast though fear not – his message will be available on the website too.

OK, that’s it for now. Not long now!
    Chat soon,
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi Skim, Still tossing up whether or not to do it. Can you sign up to too many challenges (do they mean nothing if you sign up to a lot of them)?... I'm half way through an ASN Challenge at the moment, but the support is just not there. There is a facebook page which some of the people are using to post about themselves, but I am finding that it's putting me off more than anything. They keep posting pictures of foods they're eating and comments about the workout they've just done or are going to do, but there's not much in the way of nutritional guidance, exercise programs or anything.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I think this one is going to be fantastic.

Did you watch the video on the website? It gives some ideas of whats ahead and then the FAQs that I posted look promising.

Also, http://issuu.com/maxsmagazine/docs/maxsmusclenews4 - here is the Max's magazine (free) online. There are 4 accessible on the web, and give the run down of the nutrition programme and weight training. Good info, with a heavy BB slant, but I think it could be changed to suit yourself.

I'm not sure I'd want to do 2 challenges at once, pick what suits you and is going to help you get to your goals. There's nothing to stop you starting Max's and then dropping the one you don't like.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Looked at the website and checked out the video and it does look like a great challenge and a great way to really focus on the task at hand for the 12 week period with the diary and blogs and whatnot. I've decided not to enter as the logging work sounds quite time consuming and I'm already burning the candle at both ends (long work hours, strength training 5 mornings a week + afternoon HIIT sessions 3 days a week and weekend basketball) and doubt I'd be able to maintain a challenge profile for 12 consecutive weeks.

Good luck to anyone that does go in!
  • Neets086
    Neets086 Posts: 60
    Options
    Im signing up for the challenge, after reading about it on Facebook i thought it would be a great way to keep motivated and have a goal to focus on. Last years transformation were amazing!!

One of my co workers is also doing it so we can keep each other on track :)

Anyone else who is on board feel free to add me!
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to do this, but I have such a dodgy unreliable Internet connection at home that I'm not sure ill be able to do all of the logging req'd & if the workouts come in video format I'm screwed. I've also got a minor operation happening on the 22nd - not sure if i should just sign on anyway and just start off slowly... Which is against everything I do lol

I think I'll bite the bullet and register..
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Yay Neets and Pixie!! Registration is from 3pm this afternoon, so get ready. Neets, I sent you a FR.

I have to make sure my laptop has the correct O/S, but hopefully I will be able to register tonight. Note to self... Buy a paper.

Pix, just register and go slow for the first couple of weeks with exercise. It doesn't officially start until the 29th. You can still eat properly, food is 80% of the equation so they say.... And then start weights when you feel up to it, again, start slowly. You'll be able to go for a walk when you feel up to it, and then ease yourself in.

Terri, what did you decide? Stay with ASN or try Maxine's?

Any newcomers... Join in and see how you go! I've got NO idea what it's going to be like, but I just think it's a great external motivator for the next 12 weeks to take us into a hot Aussie summer :)
  • mprezn
    mprezn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing it.. altho I dont think im confident to stand there in my bikinis and stuff.. and who would take the pic for me? hahaha.. damnnnnn.. I might register.. but I don't think my body will change much as it hasnt in so long.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    mp,,, you won't know unless you try!

I signed up, got the nutrition and training plans, starts on Monday 29th so you have another 8 days to think about it :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I saw this and am considering it as a extra little boost. I'm playing football at the moment but only have three more games (and finals if we make it) so it could be a good transition. I might have a little look at the videos over the weekend and let you guys know.

To those who've signed up already and got the nutrition and exercise plan, what exactly does it entail?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    It's free, so sign up and have a look at all the stuff.

Basically you are given 2 choices of programmes for men, only one for women.

There is a nutrition plan and a training plan. But they say that you can change them, the plans are suggestions for people who need something to follow, or who are starting out.

To be eligible to win, you need to buy at least one Max's product, and keep the receipt, and keep a blog (on the site) with photos of your progression. There are also forums available for challengers only, they aren't public.

There is a top 30 of the best transformations. Top 10 go to Melbourne for the winners dinner and announcement, which I think is some time in November.

Register!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    2 days left to register for the Challenge if anyone is interested:

http://www.maxineschallenge.com.au/2013/maxines/

Starts Monday 29 July
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Hi fellow Challengers!!
    Day 4 is upon us!!

How are we all doing? I had the muesli for breakfast as per the plan - with plain yoghurt and protein powder. Was nice, but not enough!! Then I had my very first Maxine's Choc Caramel bar for morning snack, with a coffee - OMG - nice... Seemed like FAR too much of a treat... I can see that I will have to hide them from my DD, or she will eat the entire box.

I bought a box of the bars and vanilla Maxine's powder on www.SuppsRUs - MUCH cheaper than the GNC store in the city. Saved about 40% and got a free shake bottle and free delivery too. So check that one out if you have trouble finding a supplier.

Did my HIIT this morning, on the bike. All good.

Plus, I just joined up for Instagram as per Neets suggestion. I'll post some pics up there when I work out WTH I'm supposed to do!! Might be good for posting pics of food... What do you think?

How is everyone else travelling? Lets keep in touch and help one another out when the going gets tough.

XO from Skim
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Day 6/84

Loving it. My weight has been all over the place this week, but I feel really good, didn't take measurements this morning I'm going to do that every Sunday. Food has been good, averaging between 1300-1600 calories daily.

Instagram: loving it!! I'm taking photos of all my meals and posting them. Clearly need to take some sort of food photography class - LOL! Certainly doesn't look like the photos in food magazines... need lighting and someone to paint on some colour :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Day 17

Hi fellow Challengers!! How are you going? All going well here. Have been following the nutrition plan on and off, I find that I need a lot more food than the suggested plan, but they do say that it is just a guideline and eat as much as you can so that you can do a cut later in the 12 weeks, so I'm still going with my 1500-1600 per day average at present. Read this thread, you will need to log in, as it's only for challengers:

http://www.maxineschallenge.com.au/2013/maxines/forum/forum-posts.php?The-Ultimate-Cutting-Nutrition-Plan-needs-to-start-with-a-good-foundation-of-calories-3055

It does ramble a bit, but you get the idea. Eat TDEE less a moderate cut. They say that 1200 calories at this stage is too little (but of course this is going to depend on individual sex, weight, height, age etc).

Training wise, I am still doing 3 x Full Body weight training sessions per week. Not increasing strength much, but concentrating on keeping to 3/12-15 sets/reps for all. Takes me about an hour, bit less, with HIIT and abs on the in-between days. Really enjoying it, but I am looking forward to swapping over in week 5 to a new routine.

My goal for doing this Challenge was to get down to about 20-22% body fat, and I'm making small inroads.. I know it gets more difficult as I get closer to that number, but it's looking promising so far :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Day 58 today.

How is everyone going?

It is now the last 4 weeks of the challenge. I'm going to knuckle back down and follow the Nutrition Plan for the next 4 weeks. My weight training is going really well, I'm pretty much at my goal, but have decided to smash through the last 4 weeks and see what I can do.

Good luck everyone!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you are going well, sounds like people get some great results - though the diet plans look like they take a lot of discipline!

Are you going to share your before and after shots when you're done so we can marvel at your success?