Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    This is a cool idea.

I live in SoCal.

31, childless, no plans to change that.

2 cats

I work in software development (not a developer, product manager/BSA) but I got my Bachelors in Political science and Psychology. I sometimes think I would like to get an MFT, at least, (marriage and family therapist - its a Masters) but I like what I do ok and it pays pretty decent, so its hard to give that up for a degree just to start all over making half what I make now. Plus my husband would kill me.

I was never physically active as a kid, or young adult. I hated PE, I couldn't run a 3/4 mile in 11 minutes in HS even though I was not overweight or anything. Turns out it was probably partially because I don't self-regulate body temp well (I barely sweat at all - in some areas I don't sweat period, in others I sweat a bit but its not even enough to dampen a shirt).

I gained from about 145 to 205 in 4-5 years after I got a job. Mixture of change in eating habits (my natural eating pattern is 10am and 3:30-4pm and that just doesnt' work at a 9-5 job) and no longer walking to class even though I did walk sometimes for fun. I gained so much and so fast that at one point I bought a dress that fit great and 2 weeks later it didnt' fit at all.

I wear about the same size I did at 150 as I do now at 165. Muscles! (ok, fine, I gained weight and now I weigh 172 and everything is snug, BUT STILL)

I used to read a LOT of books - sci-fi/fantasy/urban/paranormal stuff is my version of trash TV but I haven't been reading them much lately because .... I kind of burned through everything halfway decent.

I hardly watch any TV at all but we do have Amazon Prime and Netflix so I recently watched all of the new Doctor Who.
  • alisaglem
    alisaglem Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I drive an ice cream truck after a past career in banking.

I'm jealous.
  • alisaglem
    alisaglem Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi all, great idea!

I'm Alisa. I'll be 35 in a month.

I currently live in NYC, in Brooklyn to be more specific, and have been for the past 6 years. I moved here from Portland, OR to pursue acting. I lived in Oregon for 7 years. I was born in Belarus, former USSR, my parents immigrated to Israel when I was 12. I graduated high school in Israel and then moved to Portland, OR when I was 20. I thought I was smart to escape the service in the army. :) (maybe not so much)

I studied Business and minored in theater. I've been dreaming of being a working actress for almost 10 years now. I graduated a 2 years acting conservatory program last year and only now am starting to pursue acting more seriously, i.e. be less afraid.

I adopted a 3-legged Blue Heeler, long-haired Dachshund, Corgy mix when I lived in Portland with my ex. She is being loved and taken care of in Vancouver, WA by a dear friend.

I'm single.

I was with somebody for 7 years.

I started SL 4 weeks ago.

I love animals. I give dollars to homeless people on the subway despite the fact that I know I can't save them all. I cry when someone hurts an animal in a movie.

I hate injustice and unfairness.

I love cake, caramel, fudge. My weight has fluctuated between 138 (lowest in 10 years) to 168 (highest ever) and usually in the 140-150 range. Obviously it's not my ideal weight.

I love museums. They inspire me. I love decorate. Want to learn to rock climb.

Overall, I'm awesome.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    You ladies are all fascinating complex varied and beautiful. Thank you for indulging my nosiness! :)

On the Hamster/Captain Slow/Clarkson "gentlemans vegetables" debate, if you like James May, you might want to check out some of his other tv shows, particularly 'Man Lab' :)
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options

I love animals. I cry when someone hurts an animal in a movie.

I hate injustice and unfairness.

Overall, I'm awesome.

Backatcha !

this thread is rocking my world ladies. lwwodroff you are a superstar for this thread!! x
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 (well, soon to be 26), and very short at just 5'0". I'm a feminist. I'm a foodie. I'm an unabashed nerd - Doctor Who, Tolkien, anime, manga, video games, science fiction, fantasy, comics, you name it! (Except Star Wars). I'm a rider (or used to be, now I only get on a horse every few months, unfortunately). I'm halfway to being a veterinarian, currently between my second and third years of veterinary school, and I'm currently spending my summer on a research scholarship studying a new method of diagnosing bacterial infections in fish. I <3 microbes.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    A bad *kitten* with a crochet hook
  • kay_der
    kay_der Posts: 24
    Options
    Loving learning more about you awesome ladies!

I am Kayla, 35 years old.

Married for 10, with 3 little kids (5 years to 9 months). The last 5 years have been the longest of my life, mostly due to being awake for so much of them. :smile:

I never was overweight until I learned how to cook for myself. And boy, I love food and I make it good.

I struggle a bit with healthy choices. I can make myself exercise even if I am not in the mood, and I never regret it. But if I force myself to not eat that chocolate chip cookie, I am mourning it for days after. Seriously, days!

I am a medical writer, so I read a lot of scientific literature and understand just enough to be a danger to myself.

I am a DIY nut. My husband sweetly indulges the spillover into his life.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was resisting but here goes.

I am obsessive/compulsive about things I love to do. For the last three years my obsession has been my health, namely nutrition and exercise.

Other obsessions are heirloom sewing, knitting/crocheting, food, and my family.

I am the original couch potato and never exercised or played sports. I was a bookworm my entire life and going to the public library was the highlight of my life for many years. The Internet has replaced the library and I'm on the web way too many hours per day.

I am married to my childhood sweetheart. We met in the 4th grade and it has been love/hate ever since, LOL. We are celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary on July 8th.

I have three children in their 30's, and 3 granddaughters aged 12 y/o, 11 y/o, and 5 months. I am 56 but feel healthier and stronger than when I was 26.

I am addicted to spinning classes and weight lifting. I'm doing both until I die.

Hubby and I don't take vacations anymore. We take action packed adventures that require us to MOVE our bodies. I always need a vacation from my vacations.

I don't like to lie and I'm bad at it anyway. Doesn't make me a very popular person because I can be very blunt.

Love big band (think Tommy Dorsey) and classic rock music. I listen to the Pink Floyd station on Pandora a lot.

My best quality is that I am trustworthy. My worst, well I'll have to get back to you on that, LOL.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It is so much fun to learn about all of you! For my fellow sci-fi/ urban mystery folks, I am reading a relatively new book called The Passage by Justin Cronin, and it is very good- the first book I've read in a long time all the war through (3 year old makes it impossible to read in with anything approaching concentration).

Coquette- I used to be a competitive steeplechase rider, way way back. I still love to ride, and don't get to do it often enough. I also heart microbes, and have built several art installations investigating microbes from an aesthetic perspective.

Biker - I loved hearing from someone who lifts with FM. Both my aunt and her partner have FM, and I keep encouraging them to find a movement they would love, but they are pretty stuck in their ways!

Cc- my mom and dad both grew up in Springfield, and my grandparents all lived there until they passed. The aunts mentioned above still live in Clifton- so I know your neck of the woods pretty well!

And to several of you- I am also a knitter/crocheted. I taught myself by mastering Irish lace crochet because I didn't know any better. Talk about trial by fire! Don't do much needlework in the summer - too busy with the vegetable garden and my never ending refinements to e chicken run/coop.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It is so much fun to learn about all of you! For my fellow sci-fi/ urban mystery folks, I am reading a relatively new book called The Passage by Justin Cronin, and it is very good- the first book I've read in a long time all the war through (3 year old makes it impossible to read in with anything approaching concentration).

This is on my "to-read" list. I've gotten a few chapters in, but am having a hard time really getting into it. I've heard good things, though!
    Cc- my mom and dad both grew up in Springfield, and my grandparents all lived there until they passed. The aunts mentioned above still live in Clifton- so I know your neck of the woods pretty well!

My parents are in New Carlisle. I'm not as familiar with Springfield, but I worked at the Kroger on N. Bechtle one summer.

I haven't been to Clifton in awhile. We used to go walk around the gorge on weekends.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you like James May, you might want to check out some of his other tv shows, particularly 'Man Lab' :)

We have Man Lab set up as a DVR series recording! :flowerforyou:
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    My name is Emma. I live in Manchester UK. I am separated from a husband and living with a man who is the love of my life. I have 2 dogs, a beagle and a springer who I do not get nearly enough time with. My SO has a shih tsu too. In a 2 bed terrace that can all get quite exciting :laugh:

I was a riding instructor for 6 years which I loved. Did not love the pay so much so I am now working in a call centre office. There are worse jobs and there are better paid jobs but on the whole it is not bad for what it is. I no longer have a horse although I did for almost 10 years.

I have a motorbike which I use pretty much daily for a commute and often for fun. I dance, took up modern jive a few years ago and I love social dancing.

And when I get chance I love to work out. :wink:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ooh I met my husband jiving! sadly don't get a chance to go any more.. :(
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    That is how we met - although I did start going with my soon to be ex husband :blushing:
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I'm jumping in, even though I've been lazy on the message boards lately.

-I just turned 40 and live in Nebraska.
    -I'm a lawyer and have been married to my amazing husband, also a lawyer, for almost 15 years.
    -We have three kids.
    My youngest is 5 and has a very rare genetic disorder and is unable to walk or talk. We had no idea she was going to come to us this way and the months after her birth were very difficult. I love her more than I ever imagined possible. She is my inspiration to stay strong and healthy.
    -I've always been an athlete, but put on about 20 pounds after having 3 kids in 6 years.
    -I LOVE lifting, and am in the best shape of my life right now.
    -I love to read, especially old British detective novels. Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, and Dorothy Sayers are my faves.
    -I pierced my navel on my 40th birthday. Craziest things I've ever done. :laugh:
    -I love all of you ladies and find each and every one of you inspiring!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • msharp23
    msharp23 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm in love with this thread and every one of you ladies!!

I'm very new to this group (please feel free to add me-I need some likeminded friends!) and figure this is an excellent way to introduce myself-

I'm Melissa, age 35.

I grew up in Oklahoma, but have lived in Missouri for about 12 or so years.

I'm a teacher (middle school Gifted) and I absolutely love every single minute of my work day.

I have two boys-ages 6 & almost 9 and am married to an incredible man (he's also my lifting partner).

I love outdoorsy stuff-camping, fishing, hiking, kayaking, etc. I also love, love, love indoor climbing. I'm an excellent sports fan but horrendous player. Movies and music are my nirvana-I like quirky, indie stuff mostly, but a good movie/album is a good movie/album, so I'm pretty open to everything.

My guilty pleasure is watching anything on Bravo. It's mostly garbage, but oh how I love it.

And of course I love food. Particularly ice cream and pizza.

I'm a extrovert, probably to a fault. I open up to anyone and everyone and I'm not always sure that's a good thing...

My fat story:

I was always pudgy growing up. I realize now that I wasn't nearly as chubby as I saw myself and wish that I go back and give that girl some more confidence. I was a jerk in high school because of my own insecurities (a "mean girl"). I lost tons of weight after college (anyone remember Metabolife?). Of course, I gained it all back and then had my boys...gained even more.

Fast forward to the last couple of years and I've lost somewhere close to 40-50 pounds. About half of that was off and on with WW and then a friend told me about MFP (which led to the other 20+ pounds off).

I've spent the last 9 months or so obsessively reading the boards and thanks to the Road Map threads and now you ladies, I finally feel like I'm in total control of my own health and body. I'm obsessed with lifting! I've never been obsessed with anything so good for me!

Anyway, I love this thread and can't wait to "meet" more of you!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options

My parents are in New Carlisle. I'm not as familiar with Springfield, but I worked at the Kroger on N. Bechtle one summer.

I haven't been to Clifton in awhile. We used to go walk around the gorge on weekends.

My dad's parents lived in New Carlisle, on Spence Road! My aunts run the Herbs and Lace Bed and Breakfast in Clifton - the Gorge is pretty fantastic!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

My dad's parents lived in New Carlisle, on Spence Road! My aunts run the Herbs and Lace Bed and Breakfast in Clifton - the Gorge is pretty fantastic!

That's crazy! My parents are on Sigler. Such a small world.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am Mary.

Currently age 40. I grew up in Northern KY but recently moved to South central KY by Mammoth cave. I am married to my high school sweetheart...it will be 24 years Dec 23! We have eight children ages 24,21,18,15,10,7,4 and 16 months. Five girls and three boys. We also just bought our first home in Dec 2012 that sits on 7 acres. We share the land with three horses, one cow that we hope to breed next year, three dogs..weiner, basset hound and mexican hairless. We also have one furry cat and one hairless cat.

I have a degree in History. My favorite types of history to study are African American and Military history. I just started a Masters in Teaching specializing in Special Education. I only sub right now until I get a little further in the program. Working full time plus school full time with a family as large as mine would be too much to take on at one time.

I enjoy going to antique stores and thrift shops. My families best friends are Amish. Our kids play up at their house and vice versa...just no TV or computers out of respect for their religion/way of life. They have taught us so much about gardening and how to become more self sufficient.

I go to the gym for Stronglifts with my hubby. It is a way for us to spend time together. In addition I like to take weight classes or Zumba at the YMCA.

Oh yeah.. I am also Mormon and will be teaching a seminary class every morning for high school kids before school starting at 6am and ending at 6:50. My fifteen year old will be in the class I am teaching. This is my first year teaching but her second year doing the class.