Paleo questions -- safer in here than out there

Options
Why is almond flour considered acceptable on a Paleo diet but an ear of corn is not? If the point behind Paleo is to exclude processed foods, why is bacon acceptable but potatoes are not?

Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I guess almond flower would be ok because it's just crushed almond if unadultured.

You got me on the potato question, those always grew somewhere in the wild.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    1. Corn is a grain. Paleo say, grain bad. Also, high calories, low nutrition.
    2. Some potatoes are OK. Sweet potato, depending. Mostly because it's high in calories and low in nutrition.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I believe that potatoes are debated in the paleo community. My guess is that it's because they're an case of paleo dogma not lining up with carbophobia. Beans are another example of this.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why is almond flour considered acceptable on a Paleo diet but an ear of corn is not? If the point behind Paleo is to exclude processed foods, why is bacon acceptable but potatoes are not?

I would recommend you search for some Paleo groups and ask them these questions. While I do think there are good aspects to the paleo diet, I (and Sara too for that matter) both think the diet itself is based on a whole lot of silliness. You can structure a nutrient dense diet while including the foods that paleo eliminates/excludes. That being said, I would have to believe that there is some reason for the rather arbitrary food restrictions, and I think only the paleo people can answer that.

Now don't get me wrong, you're more than welcome to ask here and I hope you get answers -- but checking paleo groups may lead you to a more paleo answer.
  • ChanceyRose
    Options
    checking paleo groups may lead you to a more paleo answer.

Frankly, I'm afraid of the posts I'd get. Paleo/Primal and Clean all seem to be the equivalent of religion and politics on this forum -- everyone has an opinion but no one seems to have an answer.

I'll just resign myself to never understanding why artificial sweeteners are okay (according to some) but the corn my neighbor gave me from her backyard garden isn't.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Frankly, I'm afraid of the posts I'd get. Paleo/Primal and Clean all seem to be the equivalent of religion and politics on this forum -- everyone has an opinion but no one seems to have an answer.

I'll just resign myself to never understanding why artificial sweeteners are okay (according to some) but the corn my neighbor gave me from her backyard garden isn't.

I think a lot of paleo folks get defensive when paleo is called a fad diet, but if you go into a paleo group with a genuine question, I'm sure you'll get a good answer.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm not suggesting that you post it in the general forums, I'm suggesting you find a paleo specific group and ask there, since their members will (presumably) be paleo eaters and hopefully among them you may find someone educated in paleo that can answer the question.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, I am not sure what you are looking for. If you are skeptical about the paleo diet, you might want to start with these resources.

Christina Warinner's TED talk about the actual archeological evidence for what our ancestors ate, and some differences between ancient precursors to corn, carrots, etc. and modern versions:

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Debunking-the-Paleo-Diet-Christ

Then there is stuff by Marlene Zuk:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/04/marlene_zuk_s_paleofantasy_book_diets_and_exercise_based_on_ancient_humans.html

Once you read and watch these, see how the paleo folk respond, and decide for yourself as to whether you find their division of foods into good and bad well-founded.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    from what I understand, and this is just my vague understanding...

Paleo is based upon the historical understanding of what primitive cultures ate....and this is based on loose and sparse studies of stomach contents of people exhumed from primitive cultures...

so if their studies aren't showing any potatoes in the stomach contents the idea is that the people didn't eat it...

at least that is how it was explained to me as per a fellow historian that was looking at paleo...AND THEN....to top it off, you get the paleo zealots making up rules as they go along, to include things that they want to include that make no sense...like artificial sweeteners..

so really it's just a crap shoot...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would recommend you search for some Paleo groups and ask them these questions. While I do think there are good aspects to the paleo diet, I (and Sara too for that matter) both think the diet itself is based on a whole lot of silliness. You can structure a nutrient dense diet while including the foods that paleo eliminates/excludes. That being said, I would have to believe that there is some reason for the rather arbitrary food restrictions, and I think only the paleo people can answer that.

Now don't get me wrong, you're more than welcome to ask here and I hope you get answers -- but checking paleo groups may lead you to a more paleo answer.

^^agreed
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    From the perspective of a palaeoanthropology nerd... there is no logic behind the majority of what gets touted as paleo on the internet. It doesn't bear any resemblance to actual palaeolithic diets, and most people peddling it don't seem to know very much about palaeoanthropology at all. (there may be some exceptions, there are people out there who take a much more informed approach to the paleo diet, but they tend to do it quietly and not mouth off about wheat being unfit for human consumption or whatever else)

the original concept it was based on is fairly sound, and in fact when I was at uni back in the late 90s, one of the palaeoanthropology lecturers actually taught us about the concept of the paleo diet, but what he said was very, very different to what gets touted on the internet nowadays. It's based on comparisons between modern hunter-gatherers and post-industrical cultures, and also the fact that a lot of foods that people are commonly allergic or intolerant to are those that have been introduced or significantly changed by selective breeding, since the start of the neolithic era (i.e. the start of farming, as opposed to hunter-gathering), e.g. dairy (only breastmilk for babies and small kids was available prior to dairy farming) and wheat (some varieties have been subjected to millenia of selective breeding).

The way we live our lives in modern times is very different to how our fairly recent ancestors lived, in fact the last 10,000 years or so has seen very rapid cultural and technological development that's happened more quickly than we've been able to adapt (for the most part, but there has been adaptation) - so we're on the whole better suited to hunter-gatherer life than sedentary post-industrial life.... but a lot of it is about being sedentary as opposed to walking for miles each day, carrying heavy things and exerting yourself for tasks like hunting. In terms of diet, lactose intolerance is more common in populations that have remained as hunter-gatherers until recent times (e.g. native Australians), but this proves that those who are cultures that have practiced dairy farming or herding for thousands of years actually have adapted to be able to digest lactose as adults. So while the principle that palaeo is based on is fairly sound, there is also evidence that many people have adapted to the post-neolithic diet. Additionally, humans' ecological niche is adaptability, we can adapt very well to a huge variety of cultures, diets, ways of living, so it doesn't stand to reason that we all have to imitate the diets of hunter-gatherers.

But I do think that there is a benefit to considering what our bodies are adapted for, and using this knowledge to improve our health. We are not adapted to be sedentary, we're adapted to be very active, and our ancestors didn't get to eat if they didn't exert themselves to obtain food. The modern obesity epidemic is mostly because it's too easy to get food. Even in the much more recent past people walked to the shops much more, they did more physical jobs, they did physical work in the home, e.g. washing clothes by hand, but now many people don't have to exert themselves for anything much. We're adapted to eat after exercising (as exercise was for the purpose of acquiring food), which is why good post-workout nutrition is very important. We're adapted to share food and enjoy eating as a social event (food sharing in humans seems to go back at least 2 million years according to the archaeological evidence, and probably a lot further seeing as chimpanzees occasionally do co-operative hunting and share the meat, which until recently was thought of as a purely human behaviour). Ignoring the social aspect of eating when trying to be healthy and lose fat can result in people being unable to stick to their eating plan, because they never eat out with friends, and they become miserable... because we didn't evolve to eat alone, we're not meeting our emotional needs if we always eat alone. So there is a lot that you can learn from viewing dieting and fat loss from an evolutionary perspective. But when you do that, what you end up with isn't the same as "The Paleo Diet" as you read about on the internet (though as I said before, there are paleo dieters who take a more intelligent approach.. but what you read most commonly online about it isn't that)

As for why (add food here) is included but (add another random food here) is not included, is because the people saying it don't know much about palaeoanthropology. Another example is why wheat is demonised but bananas are okay... they're both the same from an evolutionary perspective, i.e. both have been cultivated for around 10,000 years and due to selective breeding are very different to the wild varities... go take a look at a wild banana and you'll see what I mean!! Banana allergy is also pretty common, so it's like wheat in that respect too.

It does my head in how little people who promote "paleo" on the internet actually know about how "cavemen" actually lived (including the fact that most palaeolithic people probably didn't live in caves), it makes me cry sheldon tears ("I cry because people are stupid and that makes me sad") and you get them saying the most ridiculous things that make no sense whatsoever, which is a real shame because like i said approaching diet and fitness from an evolutionary perspective can be very beneficial. But in a lot of cases it's like they're getting their info on "paleo" by watching the Flintstones....
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Another concept that the lecturer at my uni mentioned was instead of relying on certain staples, like wheat or corn, and eating lots of that, as post-agricultural populations have done, try to eat as wide a variety as vegetables as you can, as this is what hunter-gatherers do. This gives you a much wider range of micronutrients. One of the key nutritional issues in the neolithic era was vitamin and mineral deficiencies from having a very narrow diet, as opposed to the much more varied diet of hunter-gatherers.

Which is kind of the opposite of eliminating loads of different foods from your diet....

Hunter gatherers would have eaten wild grains, but not in huge quantities. They would have eaten pretty much every edible plant or plant part or fungus or other food they can collect (including eggs and insects) within a 10 mile or so radius of where they lived. Plus whatever meat they could catch by hunting. (probably dozens of different kinds of animal)
  • neandermagnon
    Options

bacon is not a palaeolithic food, pigs, cows and sheep have undergone a lot of selective breeding and are very different from their wild counterparts. Palaeo meats would be wild boar, bison, venison, kangaroo.... and not forgetting animals that are now extinct like woolly rhino....

(more examples of how they don't really know very much about the palaeolithic era, or about exactly how foods have changed since the neolithic era....)
  • ChanceyRose
    Options
    Wish there was a Thank or Like button.

Thank you bumblebums and neandermagnon.

I'm trying to understand the philosophy, reason, and principles behind Paleo/Primal eating. I know I'm not disciplined enough to give up chocolate so I'm not considering the diet for myself. I do want to understand the thought process behind the lifestyle. I'm struggling with the logical holes in the information I've found. The explanation and the linked resources are helpful.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I'm trying to understand the philosophy, reason, and principles behind Paleo/Primal eating. I know I'm not disciplined enough to give up chocolate so I'm not considering the diet for myself. I do want to understand the thought process behind the lifestyle. I'm struggling with the logical holes in the information I've found. The explanation and the linked resources are helpful.

You are welcome. As the links I gave should make clear, the exclusionary criteria in the Paleo diet are not based on evidence. If you are looking for a diet whose health benefits are proven by scientific evidence, I believe the Mediterranean diet comes the closest at the moment.

EDIT: There is also common sense: eat a variety of foods in moderation. Unless you have a medical reason to exclude a food, you might as well have some. Chocolate is awesome.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

well I'm inclined to think if you were to get in a time machine and find a tribe of Homo erectuses and give them bars of chocolate, they'd eat them and enjoy them.

Here's a rage comic cartoon I made on my blog: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-reality-of-palaeolithic-diets/

and my own recipe for paleo bread. Middle palaeolithic bread even: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/paleo-bread-recipe/ (it always makes me laugh when people ask online for palaeo recipes for anything, because when I think of palaeolithic cooking, I think of open fires lit with flint and iron pyrite, and meat cut up with flint knives and cooked directly on the burning embers of the fire.....)
  • ouiouilezizi
    Options
    Hey there,

Let my begin by saying that I don't personally like the name "paleo" or "caveman" because those words create lots of misconception and propel misinformation. OBVIOUSLY we cannot eat 100% like our "ancestors" in 2013. Also, I second the comment than many paleo people come off as spouting a religion. Paleo people get a little cray cray, but it's mainly because we are cutting out most of the decadent foods, and misery likes company.

I struggle to maintain a consistent paleo diet because my boyfriend is a pasta-cheese vegetarian. But I try to eat paleo because namely, I feel better when I eat paleo and it DOES make a lot of sense for me and by body. Allergies disappear, my skin clears up, I feel awake and non lethargic, I sleep better, etc.

My diet typically consists of: non-starchy vegetables, grass-fed/organic/free range fish, meats & proteins; healthy oils like coconut, olive oil; nuts, olives, dark chocolate, agave syrup, honey (the latter two very seldom).

My menu from today was as follows:

B: 1 piece Bacon, 1/2 avocado, 3 strawberries, and 1 egg. Coffee + coconut cream +2 tsp of raw sugar (non-paleo but I can't do black coffee and I think fake sweeteners are evil for lots of reasons).
    S: Smoothie made with coconut milk & berries
    L: Wild salmon, asparagus, baby broccoli with garlic & lemon
    S: a couple pistachios, a couple strawberries, 2 pieces dark chocolate, coconut water (6 oz)
    D: Grass fed filet mignon cooked in ghee & fresh rosemary; brussel sprouts with a little bacon & caramelized onions.
    Dessert: Watermelon

My biggest issue eating paleo is that the food is so nutrient-dense that it is relatively high calorie. I'm finding it REALLY challenging to stick to my Weight Watchers points or calorie limits on it. The second issue is cost, although I combat that by reducing my protein to 3-5oz of meat per meal at most. Also, I think that most paleo people don't discuss portions enough, and it really is key to weight loss.

Finally, the reason we avoid corn is that it is really a post-industrialist food that has very little nutritional quality but is used in everything because its cheap and companies like cheap. Yes, it existed before the industrial revolution, but it is now used as a filler food. Michael Pollan has some great books that describe the evils of corn in more depth. Soy runs along the same lines and causes lots of imbalances and inflammation in many people.

Is an ear of corn healthier than processed sugar-free products? OF COURSE.

The way I see it, eating paleo helps you avoid lots of anti-inflammatory foods. Considering that no other animal in the wild weans off of another animal post childhood (especially of another species), it's super weird for us to do that as well and have cheese, yogurt, dairy makeup large chunks of our diet. There's a reason so many people have dairy allergies. Sugar causes disease and inflammation, so we limit our sugar (although dark chocolate is fine in small quantities!) Wheat, gluten, grains and legumes are often foods that many people suffer allergies from (although they may not realize it) and most Americans rely WAY too much on starches to propel them through their days. I consider potatoes to be fine, but try to stick to yams and sweet potatoes because they have more nutrients.

So as you can see, I tailor it to my life. I promise you that if more Americans ate like this 80% of the time, we would have a much healthier society with much less disease and inflammation!

Happy eating & I apologize for all the grammatical errors... it's the end of the day for me. ZzZz
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^^while I appreciate your very eloquent post, there are a couple of things I would like to address with it when more awake tomorrow.

1) corn does have nutrients and even if it did not I am not sure why that is a reason to make something a 'no-no'. There has to be something more to it otherwise it just does not make sense. Corn is not evil. Neither is soy, and in fact soy can be a good part of diet, assuming dosage is appropriate.

2) other animals in the wild do drink milk when they can get it. The fact that some people think it is super weird to drink milk does not make it so. I do not find it weird at all.

3) What disease does sugar cause?

4) Re inflammation - not in everyone and probably in less people than is touted by some.

5) Sweet potatoes do not have more nutrients than white - they each have different amounts of different nutrients. Why get more of say Vitamin A (which sweet potato does have) if you are above your required amount for the day but below say iron, which white potatoes have more of than sweet potatoes. That makes no sense and is one of the risks of an exclusionary diet.

Basically, this gets back to the point SideSteel makes. You can get a well balanced diet without the arbitrary restrictions of paleo. If someone has allergies or sensitivities to a food, then they should be avoided but I personally cannot see the point of doing do if you do not have any.

Your comment re "if more Americans ate like this 80% of the time, we would have a much healthier society with much less disease and inflammation". They would be healthier if they were not as fat and ate a more balanced diet. That is not the exclusive territory of paleo.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

bacon is not a palaeolithic food, pigs, cows and sheep have undergone a lot of selective breeding and are very different from their wild counterparts. Palaeo meats would be wild boar, bison, venison, kangaroo.... and not forgetting animals that are now extinct like woolly rhino....

(more examples of how they don't really know very much about the palaeolithic era, or about exactly how foods have changed since the neolithic era....)

^^always interesting to read your posts.

\
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started Paleo three weeks ago and I feel fab on it! I think that people should eat what they want to eat and diet how they want to diet. I don't go around preaching and I think that as long as its working then im happy!

I enjoy the fact that I am eating none (well certainly less) processed foods. Obviously I am not 100% paleo as that's difficult in this day and age!

I just think people need to appreciate different peoples approaches to life - you wouldn't go to a vegetarian you really should eat meat, or to someone on Paleo - you really should have some pasta and likewise people on paleo shouldn't be telling you what you should and shouldn't eat!

I don't have artificial sweetener anymore and my headaches and so on have gone.

I stick to meats, fish, fruits, veg, greek yogurt (am on tablets that mean I need calcium) and nuts and in this hot weather im really enjoying it!!
This discussion has been closed.