Bone Broth (and Help Me With a Project for School)

Options
Hi there!

I'm taking a marketing course for grad school, and I'm using bone broth for a project. Real bone broth (not from a can) has a lot of benefits, such as assisting with joint health, healing a leaky gut, and it's good for hair, skin and teeth.

Do any of you make your own bone broth? If not, would you be interested in buying it to boost your health?

Here is some bone broth info:
http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/broth-is-beautiful
http://balancedbites.com/2011/04/easy-recipe-mineral-rich-bone-broth.html

Replies

• Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If it was AIP friendly I would! Currently I cannot walk into a store and buy any broths...thats right not a single one. They all have onion and/or garlic. Making a true/healthy bone broth is also pretty complicated but I would 100% be willing to mail order some if it was healthy and AIP friendly. I am currently supposed ot be drinking it 2-3 times a week...and I am most def not. lol
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I might be interested in buying it if it was cost efficient to do so. Plus it'd have to be very gelatinous because mine is pretty.

Sprinkelss, it's AIP friendly if you make your own and it was very highly encouraged in Practical Paleo. It's really easy to make. When I was doing AIP, I drank a lot of bone broth and my skin looked amazing. In fact, I might do another AIP cycle really soon just for that alone.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I haven't made my own (yet--but am planning to soon) and would definitely be interested in purchasing if cost-effective. Good luck with your project :flowerforyou:
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I made some when I was fully being Paleo and it tasted weird. I did just the bones in water in the crock pot. Any suggestions?
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I've heard that you can add veggies like onion, celery, carrots, etc. You can also add garlic, apple cider, vinegar, and salt. that should help to flavor it a little.
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I probably wouldn't buy it if it was packaged unless it was made locally, I just don't trust the big food companies enough to give them money for things I can easily make at home.

I add a little vinegar and slow cook all night and day.
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I made some when I was fully being Paleo and it tasted weird. I did just the bones in water in the crock pot. Any suggestions?

Same here. That link on the OP is helpful I'm going to try to follow that recipe, I heard browning the bones helps beforehand.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I make my own chicken bone broth in a slow cooker with roast chicken carcasses. I absolutely think it helps my digestion, when I drink it regularly. But it's probably one of the few things I would not want to buy pre-made. I like knowing exactly what went into it - plus, I don't know how well the flavor and gelatin would hold up with mass production.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Same here. That link on the OP is helpful I'm going to try to follow that recipe, I heard browning the bones helps beforehand.
    Bone Broth is easy to make(I'm a chef and I'm sure anyone can do it)
    Take a roasting pan and crank your oven up nice and high.Put the pan in the oven.
    When it's super hot,throw in your bones and brown away.
    I would normally throw in some veg like onions/carrots but omit what you can't eat.
    After the bones have a nice bit of brown on them,get out your stock pot and add them in(leave in the veggies as well and if you have some fresh herbs,add them in now..I use thyme and parsley)
    Season with a lot of salt,whole peppercorns,bay leaves.
    Bring to the boil,add in apple cider vinegar(this helps to release all the good stuff from the bones)
    Reduce heat and simmer away uncovered.
    As time goes on,add more water as needed as the water will continue to reduce.I cook mine for at least 24 hours and always get a good gelatinous broth.
    If I am doing chicken broth,the time can be cut to 12 hours as it doesn't take the same amount of time to leech out all the nutrients from chicken.
    One note about bones..make sure to take the scum off the broth in the early stages as this is going to put impurities back into the finished product and give you a murky broth.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I make my own chicken bone broth in a slow cooker with roast chicken carcasses. I

This, plus turkey, too. I have 2 chicken carcasses in my freezer now. ;) I would do meat bones, but usually don't have any. :(

For flavor, I typically use onion, carrots, celery, garlic or garlic powder when I use the crock pot (no idea why, but real garlic in the crock pot never comes out right for me). I've started doing the all night, all day (nearly 24 hrs) in the slow cooker now. :)

This last time (last week) I added a bay leaf and a tomato (sorry, AIP folks) and it tasted sooo much better!

I try to drink it reguarly, but i need to start freezing what I don't use up right away. I use it for soups, mostly, or to cook veggies in sometimes. Whenever I feel a wave of sick coming on, I make "sick soup" - using stock, veggies (carrots, celery, zucchini/squash, broccoli, spinach, etc - whatever I have on hand, high in vit C to boot), add some garlic, ginger, and coconut oil, and it usually wards off any sickness from getting worse!

I might buy it, if it weren't an outrageous price. I do sometimes use the organic, free range broth when I don't have any homemade ready.