How do you do it??

Options
ShannonKirton
ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
So now that I pre-plan my days, I have my macros set at 20% carbs, 40% fat and 40% protein. Most days I can get my carbs to stay around 15% give or take, and fats and proteins balance out and sometimes go over by a percent or two.

Everything I log, including fruits and veggies, all have carbs, so how do people manage to stay at 5% carbs so easily??? It takes about half an hour for me to plan my day and get it all right with my percentages all balanced out. Constantly adding and deleting food to get it balanced.

I also find the database is not consistent. Does anyone else have this problem. For example, shouldn't a hard boiled egg have the same amount of every nutrient (carbs, fats, proteins, etc) as a soft boiled egg?? They are cooked the same exact way with nothing added, so why do they show up with different macros??

Feel free to browse my diary as it is open and point out anything I'm doing wrong. I really just want to make sure I'm on the right path.

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi Shannon,
    There are many questions here. I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses. First though, you said your diary is open but it's not. Please check that setting so that myself and other seasoned Paleos can chime in.

Thanks!
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Hmm, far from seasoned paleo, I just eat whatever, as long as its paleo, I haven't focused on numbers yet. Just as long as its paleo I feel awesome!
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    My bad!! I just changed my settings so you can see my diary. Sorry :/
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I go through a similar situation when logging. You have to remember that the database, I believe, is compounded from all human entries. In other words, it is just a collection of information entered by humans subject to human error. Being able to calculate calories, macros and micros to an exact point is near impossible. My solution... eat quality food and just get your numbers close enough. You do not need to spend hours adding and deleting food to get this magical ratio down. The body does not function like that anyway. Don't stress yourself out by over thinking it too much. Hope this helps...
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Thanks paleojoe. I'm doing my best to source the quality foods etc. and so far it's been going well. I can only hope that I'm not actually going over anything and that I can still lose weight with what I'm doing.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Thanks paleojoe. I'm doing my best to source the quality foods etc. and so far it's been going well. I can only hope that I'm not actually going over anything and that I can still lose weight with what I'm doing.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    As I noted on another thread, you want to look at your net carbs rather than your total carbs. Fiber is a non-digestible form of carb. It also slows down your digestion of the food you just ate that has fiber in it. It takes your body much longer to break down broccoli into glucose than it does a candy bar. I would change your diary to display calories/fat/protein/carbs/fiber/sugar in that order (see my diary for an example). So, basically a fiber gram gets subtracted from your total carb for a net.

For example, if you look at my diary you see that I had 1 oz of avocado at lunch today (in my salad) and that the avocado has 3g of carbs and 2g of fiber. That fiber isn't digestible, so I get to subtract to arrive at net carbs of 1g. So, if you worry about that stuff a lot, then net carbs will make you feel a lot better as you are now seeing how much real carbs you're taking in. And it's much easier to see which foods will convert to glucose rapidly vs. slowly. The more fiber, the longer it takes to be digested and converted to glucose.

Also, both AshleyPaleo and paleojoe have a good point. Don't worry about it too much. If you are eating real foods, high in fat content, moderate in protein, and your carbs are coming from leafy green vegetables and fruits, then you are on the right path anyway.

Personally, the only way I enjoy milk is in its solid form (cheese), so I don't drink milk or coconut milk. Nor do I really like yogurt. I would personally advise against milk and yogurt because of the amount of sugar in them. On the other hand, heavy cream in your coffee is nirvana ... it's all fat and your coffee tastes fabulous with it. I buy the Darigold 40% fat heavy cream at Costco. I eat a lot of lettuce, celery, broccoli, brussells sprouts, green beans, avocado, squash and zucchini. I find that the more of those sorts of veggies I eat, plus having a high fat content (lots of olive oil, coconut oil, cream, bacon), the more full and sated I am and the less my desire to eat things with high sugar contents.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    I will certainly change my diary to include fiber. That's a great suggestion. Thank you :)

As for my "dairy" I do enjoy coconut milk in my after workout shakes, and I eat greek yoghurt (not Paleo, I know) to up my protein and get the calcium I need. Plus it is a quick and easy snack for me to enjoy at work. If I have milk it is whole raw milk which literally comes straight from the cow. If I do anything with it, it's boil it. But this is a very rare indulgence for me.

My lunches and dinners always include a nice selection of veggies and some meat like chicken, or salmon and I'll be adding some nice pork chops to that list soon.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    yum, pork chops! I buy a whole pork loin from my butcher and cut my own chops out of it. Cheaper that way and I know where the meat came from, unlike pork chops at Safeway.

Glanced at your diary .... your net carbs for today will be 31g .... that's pretty darn good, I think. Nothing there you should be worried about.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Hey Eric! I was always curious about subtracting the fiber to get net carbs. I get subtracting insoluble fiber (roughage) but what about soluble fiber?
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Thanks Eric :) I find if I plan my days in advance I can keep it pretty low. Weekends are the struggle.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Hey Eric! I was always curious about subtracting the fiber to get net carbs. I get subtracting insoluble fiber (roughage) but what about soluble fiber?

great question .... not sure I know the answer. Although I haven't seen many nutrtion sources provide a breakdown for fiber to that level. Have you?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of the data on MFP is flawed. So, if I see something that looks out of whack (calories don't add up or as you noted, the same thing is listed differently), I'll look it up on other sources.

I don't stress about the macros so much as planning my day around it. I have some tried and true foods that I carry with me that I know have the macros I want (high protein, moderate fat, low simple carbs). I'll pack a bag for work each day that has these along with a few other tidbits (usually berries, eggs, and/or veggies). After my afternoon snack/late lunch, I start focusing on the protein number, and plan my dinner and any late snacks. That resulted in eating 21 oz of tilapia for dinner last night, but it works out fairly well most days.

I am a big proponent of keeping things simple. The harder it is, the less likely you'll stick to it for the long haul.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I am a big proponent of keeping things simple. The harder it is, the less likely you'll stick to it for the long haul.
    I found, based on a lot of tracking last year, that if I ate meals that had 6-8 oz of protein and 1 - 2 cups of green vegetables, my macros came out right. I still track after the fact, but don't have to worry ahead of time about whether the food amounts, etc were correct. Simple is way better.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi Shannon! Your log looks great, I agree with Eric though on the milk issue. The carbs in that yogurt are a real hit to your totals.....and you could have actual produce instead, or BACON!

Also, please no margarine ;))
    Real butter tastes WAY better, isn't chemical based, and lots of Paleos use it for their eggs and/or vegetables.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options

great question .... not sure I know the answer. Although I haven't seen many nutrtion sources provide a breakdown for fiber to that level. Have you?
    Okay, I got curious and googled this a bit. It appears that soluble fiber (mostly found in various seeds and grains) doesn't get to be subtracted like insoluble fiber (most fiber in veggies is insoluble). Sort of off topic from a Paleo perspective, but since a lot of us cross over from Low Carb to Paleo to Keto, thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's the best source I found on the topic:

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=3118
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Thanks Eric!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay at 5% carbs???
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Okay, I got curious and googled this a bit. It appears that soluble fiber (mostly found in various seeds and grains) doesn't get to be subtracted like insoluble fiber (most fiber in veggies is insoluble). Sort of off topic from a Paleo perspective, but since a lot of us cross over from Low Carb to Paleo to Keto, thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's the best source I found on the topic:

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=3118

Pretty much all the primal/paleo gurus say to count TOTAL carbs, not net carbs.

Also, soluble fiber is preferable to insoluble fiber.

Current recommendation by Mark Sisson is 50-100g TOTAL carbs is the proper range for weight loss, 100-150 for weight maintenance. Under 50g total for those wanting to do a ketogenic diet; over 150 sets the stage for weight gain.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay at 5% carbs???

I'm not actually looking to go to 5% carbs as I'm quite happy with where I am now around my 20% but I was just wondering how people got it done seeing as I struggle some days to keep around the 20% mark.

I'll take a hiatus from the yoghurt for a while and finish up what I have there in the fridge which is only about 3 pots I think. I did not realize how much it takes up. I guess if I throw in some cheese here or there, or take some calcium tabs I'll get what I need calcium wise. I'll need to change up my snacking at work routine as well.