Lifting while workingf ull time and going to school.

Options
babycakes1970
babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
A little background on me. I am soon to be 43, have two special needs teenagers with one being high functioning Aspergers Syndrome and the other one being classic severe autism. My husband is physically disabled. I have been the primary wage earner in our family for several years now and am taking the opportunity to go to school for Massage Therapy part time in the evenings. It is a very hands on program so I must physically be in school. I have been working on losing weight for the last three years and prior to joining MFP I lost around fifty pounds or so.

I had to take a break from working out for several months due to Achilles tendonitis. Everything I did seemed to irritate it even with stretching. I have been doing water fitness classes and it is finally healing but other than that I am ready to seriously start strength training. What I am worried about though is wether I will have the time or the energy to do it when I am in school (which starts in October). I will be working from 8-4:30 Mon-Fri and will be I school Mon-Thur.from 5:30 -9 PM. So it will be work then straight to school for four evenings a week. I figure I can workout on Friday nights and Sundays but the Y will be closed at the same time I get out of school. I only work out in the evenings right now because of my work and I am needed in the AM to help with my daughter who requires assistance with hygiene and toileting. I will be getting home at 9:30 at the earliest and getting up before 7 to get ready for work and help my daughter. I understand from my reading that 3x a week is optimal for strength gains.

I have been so inspired by all the progress pictures that I have seen of all the ladies who lift! I have been on a cycle of losing weight and then plateauing for months on end and it is so frustrating. When I saw the pictures of some of you I was still taking a break due to my injury but now I think I am ready. I just have no idea how I am going to to find any time to work out during the week once I start school. I will probably not have time to reply until tomorrow evening but I look forward to reading the replies..

Replies

• brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You could do some simple body weight exercises at home, the weird thing about exercise (for me at least) the more I did it, the more energy I had. It was my only stress relief through school and working. It sounds like you definitely need some stress relief anyways!! Is there anyway you could bring your kids to the daycare at the YMCA in the morning? Or you could buy some weights to have at home? Good luck!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hi! With your job, can you go to the gym on a lunch break (and eat before/after)? Or could you join a gym for evening/weekends or would you be able to buy and store barbells for home?

If you CAN go to the gym on your lunch break I'd recommend doing either SL 5x5 or starting strength Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Here's info on 5x5 if you aren't familiar http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

If you can't go to the gym, I'd say you could work out Friday, Sunday, and maybe Wednesday at home either with barbells OR if you don't have the money or space for that, I'd get some dumbbells like these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511

and do this or something similar http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

Honestly that's a super busy schedule and I might do just 2 days per week unless you are able to go on your lunch break. Is your 8-4:30 job seating or on your feet? My concern would be that you get enough recovery with being so busy :smile: I'm sure you'll be really busy on weekends too with family and studying!

I'm curious to see others' opinions on this too :)
  • babycakes1970
    Options
    You could do some simple body weight exercises at home, the weird thing about exercise (for me at least) the more I did it, the more energy I had. It was my only stress relief through school and working. It sounds like you definitely need some stress relief anyways!! Is there anyway you could bring your kids to the daycare at the YMCA in the morning? Or you could buy some weights to have at home? Good luck!!
    I have thought about the bodyweight workouts but I would have too many distractions. My older daughter is almost nineteen and has Aspergers Syndrome, basically higher functioning.autism. My younger one is sixteen and is non verbal lower functioning autistic. We get no.help with her at all. Lunch break is not an option since we are not allowed to leave for lunch and we only get a thirty minute break.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Well I don't think anyone can really answer this except you. You have a very busy schedule granted but if you want to lift you will have to find the time. You say you can't work out at lunch or do simple body weight due to interruptions from your kids... I think you need to think about your load and decide how you can arrange it.

Your course starts October? so between now and then you can get to the gym after work?

Other than that I don't think there is much more to suggest other than consider your schedule carefully and see where and how you can fit it in.
    I hope you can find the time though :) good luck!
  • babycakes1970
    Options
    Well I don't think anyone can really answer this except you. You have a very busy schedule granted but if you want to lift you will have to find the time. You say you can't work out at lunch or do simple body weight due to interruptions from your kids... I think you need to think about your load and decide how you can arrange it.

Your course starts October? so between now and then you can get to the gym after work?

Other than that I don't think there is much more to suggest other than consider your schedule carefully and see where and how you can fit it in.
    I hope you can find the time though :) good luck!
    [
    /quote]

I actually cancelled my Y membership last week. I decided that I am simply going to have to do bodyweight workouts in the privacy of my bedroom (to limit distractions) I plan for the schedule to be something like Wednesday night around ten oclock, then Fridays and Sundays at an earlier time. I think that I can actually stick with that. I am not going to be able to go to the Y when it is open except for weekends and if I know myself it will not happen. Saturdays are going to be my do fun stuff with family and errand days. Sundays I am going to try to keep fairly quiet and just study and work out ect.

Right now I am enjoying walking in the evenings and plan to start the body weight routine pretty soon. I canceled my membership at the Y now since I know that come time for class to start I will not be able to go and I figure I can save what I was paying to them every month towards things I will be needing for school.