How do you do it??

Options
2»

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You said that you've set your fat at 40% but I don't see enough fat in your diary. I'm 5'10", work out 3x a week and eat close to 150 grams of fat a day just to give you a comparison. You need to increase your fat because that is your body's new source of energy. It should always account for more calories daily than your protein because each fat gram is worth 9 calories.

You don't really have that much to lose, so if I were you, I'd increase my carbs. You'll feel better overall. I have to keep my carbs on the higher end due to my thyroid issues (T4 to T3 conversion is important). But if you work out at all, you'll have more stamina. Paleo does not always equal low carb. Also, don't worry about going over 1% or 2%.

Also, experiment with your macros. Technically, you're already in the healthy weight range at 5'9" and 150-something lbs. I know because I'm 5'10" and my healthy range is between 135 to 169. But if you want to lose more weight, increase your carbs for a few weeks, or increase your fat and see what happens. This will give you the most success in the long haul if you understand how your body works.
  • Cerebrus189
    Options
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links on calcium :)

I must admit that I'm still on the fence about either taking into consideration the pie chart on my iPad or the grams, but it seems that most people seem to be focusing on the grams of everything rather than the pie chart and it's percentages. Today's fat percentage on my chart is 52% out of 40% but my actual grams are only 39 out of my recommended 53. Is this necessarily a bad thing?
  • Cerebrus189
    Options
    No, it's not a big deal. My fat percentage sometimes goes as high as 80% for the day. You want to keep an overall balance but the day to day stuff isn't a huge deal. Look instead at your overall week.

I was incredibly controlling of my foods in the beginning until I accepted my fat intake and higher-than-standard calorie intake. I felt uneasy about the fat intake and it made me really nervous. But then I took the jump head first.

Content definitely matters when it comes to food.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    I just came across this article and it was an interesting read. Might have to think about my macros again. Anyone here who is a more seasoned Paleo have any thoughts on this?

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/question-of-macronutrient-ratios/
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Just for my own guidelines I set my macros at F/P/C = 60/30/10 percentage wise. This also works out well for the amount of grams of each I am eating compared to my activity level and weight. And then I don't really worry about those numbers on a daily and meal basis.

Instead, I follow a fairly easy rule for my meals.

Protein source (pork, chicken, beef) - 1-2 "fist size" pieces of protein, which will work out to being about 1-2 servings where a serving is between 3 and 4 oz

Vegetable source - 1-2 cups of leafy and/or green veggies

Fat source - grass fed butter or EVOO or coconut oil, preferably

For lunch today, I will have:

Pork chop
    Salad - 2 cups lettuce, small handful shredded cheddar cheese, 5 cherry tomatoes, 1/4 avocado, 1 stalk celery, 1 tbsp EVOO, red wine vinegar (I know that those approximations above will come out to 1 oz of cheese and avocado by measuring a couple times)

My snacks tend towards a handful of something healthy - pistachios and olives are my favorite

When I follow this very easy approach, and then track the food in my MFP diary, I find that I am hitting my targets for amount of food consumed and macro breakdown fairly closely.

And it's way simpler to do it this way than to pre-measure everything.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Eric, just out of curiosity, how much do you workout? I've been seeing all over the place that obviously the more you work out the more carbs you need, but I thought this defeated the purpose of your body using fats instead of carbs?
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Eric, just out of curiosity, how much do you workout? I've been seeing all over the place that obviously the more you work out the more carbs you need, but I thought this defeated the purpose of your body using fats instead of carbs?
    I am currently doing Shaun T's Focus T25. It's a very intense 25 minute workout using your own body only, with 6 sessions done over a 5 day cycle.

I have found that sometimes I require a cup of berries as a workout snack, otherwise my body gets too hypoglycemic. That's not happening right now, but did happen when I was doing the Insanity workouts, which are 45 minute long max interval training.

Yes, I workout pretty heavy - not for weight loss, but for fitness, muscle mass and because I enjoy it. I keep my net carbs between 20-30 grams a day unless I am feeling hypoglycemic after a workout. That feeling consists of shakes and headache for me. If I eat a cup of strawberries it immediately goes away.

My wife works out as heavy as I do and she keeps her net daily carbs more in the 40g range, which works great for her.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Sorry, not Eric, but wanted to put my 2 cents in. I'm a distance runner and did 15 miles on Sunday eating 15% (less than 90g) of my cals from carbs.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    I am currently doing Shaun T's Focus T25. It's a very intense 25 minute workout using your own body only, with 6 sessions done over a 5 day cycle.

I have found that sometimes I require a cup of berries as a workout snack, otherwise my body gets too hypoglycemic. That's not happening right now, but did happen when I was doing the Insanity workouts, which are 45 minute long max interval training.

Yes, I workout pretty heavy - not for weight loss, but for fitness, muscle mass and because I enjoy it. I keep my net carbs between 20-30 grams a day unless I am feeling hypoglycemic after a workout. That feeling consists of shakes and headache for me. If I eat a cup of strawberries it immediately goes away.

My wife works out as heavy as I do and she keeps her net daily carbs more in the 40g range, which works great for her.

Ok so it's good to know that I'm not too low. Obviously my days vary as do most people's due to the fact we don't eat the same thing day in and day out. I'm just trying to get a gage of what others are doing carb wise, because some people are suggesting I almost double my carb intake but I'm thinking, "that might work for you, but I HIGHLY doubt it will work for me". I'm not a serious heavy lifter. I do about 5-6 classes at the gym a week, and maybe run a little bit here and there. The classes are both cardio and strength, some with weights and some with body weights.

I think I'll be just fine if I stick where I'm at right now. So far I have not had any issues feeling light headed or out of whack.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options

Sorry, not Eric, but wanted to put my 2 cents in. I'm a distance runner and did 15 miles on Sunday eating 15% (less than 90g) of my cals from carbs.

No worries PrimalRunner. Every input is still appreciated :) For a runner I understand the higher carbs. I only run a little bit here and there and it's not a constant thing, so I think that I'll be fine where I'm at now which is anywhere between 30-50g of carbs. Somedays a bit more.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    As far as carbs go, I was in ketosis for about 3 months before I started eating more carbs. I was averaging at about 20g carbs a day (5-10%) but could stay in ketosis at around 50g. I found that it was not sustainable for me because I lift weights and did not have enough energy to fully commit to my workouts even with added protein and fat. Obviously everyone is different and there are plenty of people who can exercise on limited carbs but it was too hard for me. If it wasn't for the lack of energy, it would have been very easy for me to commit to the lower carbs. I was ketogenic without even trying, before I even knew what it was when I started eating Paleo. I have since adjusted my macros to 20/40/40 (c/p/f), as well as eating an additional 300/400 calories a day and 100g of carbs (sometimes a little less) instead of 20g and I feel a lot better. I found this website to be helpful in my guidance to changing my macros.

http://eattoperform.com/eat-to-perform-calculator/