Wanted: Primal Cake Recipes!

Options
whatjesseats
whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
Can anybody recommend a good primal or paleo cake recipe? I'm planning a birthday party for my boyfriend and would love to serve a primal cake even the non-paleos will like! I've done some searching around but am getting a bit overwhelmed--perhaps somebody here has a tried and true recipe?

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I ordered this book for my husband:
    http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Desserts-Delicious-Favorites-Grain-Free/dp/0738216437/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374166043&sr=8-1&keywords=paleo+desserts

I have not tried anything out of it yet, because I haven't been baking anything lately.

That said, if you're okay with dairy, Whole Foods has a delicious dark chocolate cake recipe (I've made it several times, all with good results):
    https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/flourless-chocolate-cake-dark-chocolate-glaze
  • whatjesseats
    Options
    That Whole Foods cake looks amazing! I wonder if it would work with honey instead of sugar.
  • iyamkristin
    iyamkristin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I made chocolate zucchini bread that came out more like cake this weekend. Tasted great! Almost doubled the zucchini, omitted the Stevia, added an extra tablespoon of honey, and added vanilla extract.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-chocolate-zucchini-bread/
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    YUM! Made this, and all of my grain-eating coworkers loved it!

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/grain-free-goodies/chocolate-avocado-cake/
  • whatjesseats
    Options
    OMG I should have waited until after my 21DSD is over to ask this question. Trying not to drool on my keyboard now...
  • TriLifter
    Options
    OMG I should have waited until after my 21DSD is over to ask this question. Trying not to drool on my keyboard now...

I'm thinking the same thing. Stupid Whole30 :grumble:
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My favorite paleo cake is the carrot cake from Make It Paleo (cookbook). They also have the recipe on their website. thefoodloverskitchen
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    YUM! Made this, and all of my grain-eating coworkers loved it!

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/grain-free-goodies/chocolate-avocado-cake/

Mmmmmm.......

I made a chocolate avocado mousse that the whole family just devoured, so I'm sure this would be well received too!!!! :drinker:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    you could also try stupid simple paleo, they have some great recipes and all are easy.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    This one's more of a gluten-free recipe than a Primal/Paleo one... but IMHO, a lot healthier than using nut flours - instead using things such as tapioca and rice flour, for less/no PUFAs. Also has a better consistency, and isn't like eating a brick. I don't usually bake... but my girlfriend apparently loves it, and instead of seeing my Coeliac's as a problem, seems to see it as a fun challenge, so go figure. We just used a pre-made "self-raising" gluten free flour,.
    Yes, it does call upon sugar, but this can easily be replaced by something like stevia.

Ingredients:
    -4 eggs
    -165g/ 3/4 cup sugar - or sweetener of choice.
    -150g/1 Cup all purpose gluten free flour
    -100g/ 1/3rd of a cup strawberry jam (homemade, storebought, whatever)
    -300ml whipping cream.

Instructions:

1) Pre heat the oven to 180*C, then lightly grease two 20cm cake tins and line the base with baking paper to prevent sticking.

2) Beat the eggs and sugar/sweetener in a small bowl with and electric mixer until light and fluffy, then gently fold the gluten-free flour into the egg mixture.

3) Spread the mixture evenly into the cake tins, then bake for about 25-30 minutes - keep an eye out for when it's lightly browned and the cakes are expanding outside of the tins.

4) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool, and whilst it's cooling, whip the cream into stiff peaks.

5) Once cooled, top one side of sponge cake with whipped cream and the other with your jam. Then place one on top of the other.

6) Top with whatever you like - if anything, we used icing sugar - then serve. Omnom.

Here be a picture of it, alongside some macadamia macaroons we baked:
    jb06smi.jpg

And here's me eating it with ice cream:

VmXH0sV.jpg

It's like biting into a sweet cloud of deliciousness. Om nom.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    This one's more of a gluten-free recipe than a Primal/Paleo one... but IMHO, a lot healthier than using nut flours - instead using things such as tapioca and rice flour, for less/no PUFAs. Also has a better consistency, and isn't like eating a brick. I don't usually bake... but my girlfriend apparently loves it, and instead of seeing my Coeliac's as a problem, seems to see it as a fun challenge, so go figure. We just used a pre-made "self-raising" gluten free flour,.
    Yes, it does call upon sugar, but this can easily be replaced by something like stevia.

I'll take my nut flours over something with rice flour any day. I like to stay 100% grain-free.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

I'll take my nut flours over something with rice flour any day. I like to stay 100% grain-free.

Suit yourself.

But personally I value health - and, on a side note, taste - over a food restriction or self label. I'm curious, however, what's wrong with rice?
  • TriLifter
    Options
    But personally I value health - and, on a side note, taste - over a food restriction or self label. I'm curious, however, what's wrong with rice?

Rice has a really high GI. My body can't handle that. Besides, if you balance out the PUFAs and O-6 with other fats, it's not an issue. Only when the ratios are imbalanced.

I just found it interesting that you're posting an obviously non-primal/paleo recipe on a primal/paleo group topic :smile:
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

Rice has a really high GI. My body can't handle that. Besides, if you balance out the PUFAs and O-6 with other fats, it's not an issue. Only when the ratios are imbalanced.

The balance is very easy to throw out when you're eating a crapton of nut powder. Very, very easy.
    I just found it interesting that you're posting an obviously non-primal/paleo recipe on a primal/paleo group topic :smile:

?

OP asked for a cake recipe... kind of an oxymoron. I guess I could have said "steak", if that's more appropriate, but thought I'd share a recipe since I literally baked it the day beforehand.

But I like that better. OP:

tumblr_m6le3sXQFQ1qei1m2o1_500.jpg
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Here is the Paleo Chocolate cake I made for my boyfriends birthday and we all LOVED it (even two very picky 6 yr old and a 3 yr old). I did the chocolate ganache frosting but it was VERY rich so I think next time I'll make it with a coconut whipped cream frosting.
    http://paleospirit.com/2012/paleo-chocolate-birthday-cake-coconut-honey-frosting/