Had YAYOG Injury?? Share To Help Others!

Options
EPICSRT
EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
I figured that the group could benefit from others sharing if they've gotten injured while performing YAYOG exercises. Share what exercise you were doing, how the injury occurred and what you think you could've done to prevent it.

Don't be embarrassed or shy about it as I am sure it could help someone else avoid potentially injuring themselves.

If one had enough time they could scroll through my MFP blog and see a nice picture of huge blister I got on my palm last summer while performing push up and military press ladders. This is why I now use my bicycle gloves when working out (as seen in the recent video I posted in the Let Me In thread).

AND.....of coarse, the posting of this thread is prompted by the second injury I've had while doing YAYOG exercises which occurred today!

I was performing one armed let me ins in the same place as usual (see video mentioned above). For these let me ins I use a belt wrapped around each side of the door handle. I was in my second superset on 4 of 5 and just as I start pulling my self up SNAP!!! and I fall back and hit the top of the tub with back. Luckily I was barefoot and my feet slid out which changed my momentum from going straight back to a down and back direction. It hurt like hell, but no real lasting issues. We'll see how I feel in the morning about it!

So, what did I learn? Well, the snap was not the belt breaking, it actually just came undone (due to the type of belt). In addition, had I been holding the belt in a different location this would not have happened because my hand would've been gripping the part that came undone (where the belt overlaps after its buckled, if that makes sense).

If you choose to use a belt to perform let me ins, make sure you have set so that there is no way it can come undone!

Okay, that's mine! What's yours??

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Today was my first workout and my hands are the sorest of all my body. Let me ins really hurt my grip but nothing like let me ups. My hands are in sooo much pain.

The seated dips started to hurt my wrists near the end of the 7.5 minutes.

Any tips on preventing this? I will use gloves in the future
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Today was my first workout and my hands are the sorest of all my body. Let me ins really hurt my grip but nothing like let me ups. My hands are in sooo much pain.

The seated dips started to hurt my wrists near the end of the 7.5 minutes.

Any tips on preventing this? I will use gloves in the future

Gloves with a thin layer of padding on the palms should help out.

Let me ins did hurt my hands at first, but that went away after a couple times of doing them. If you are gripping the door knob with your hands, the gloves should help. You could always switch to doing them with a towel.

As far as let me ups, how are you doing them? if you are doing them using a dining room table, I feel your pain! That is how I was doing them when I first started but quickly looked to find another way as it was hurting my hands. Gloves help a bit, but they made me feel as though I was losing my grip. Gloves and a round bar makes them a lot easier on the hands.

Maybe others reading might be able to share how they perform let me up!

I do not know exactly how you are doing the dips, but let me see if I can offer some suggestions. When you are performing the seated dips, pay attention to how you position your hands so you are not put and awkward strain on your wrists. If they start hurting, try adjusting the direction your hands point a little. In addition, when I do seated dips I always try to focus getting back as close to the chair as possible (sometimes just barely touching the chair as I do the movements). I have found that the further away your back is from you hands, the greater the strain on the wrists and forearms.

I hope this helps! Maybe someone else can chime it with something different!
  • jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have had some pain in the back/upper area of my left arm when doing pull ups. This was really in addition to doing YAYOG, but it has affected my training in both. I slacked off the pull ups for about a week and it was ok when I tried today. I experienced maybe a tiny bit of pain so I think I'll be alright if I take it easy. I'm going to stick more with the YAYOG routine which calls for a lot less pull ups than I was doing. I just really want to increase the number of those buggers that I can do as I can currently only do 4...
  • jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was performing one armed let me ins in the same place as usual (see video mentioned above). For these let me ins I use a belt wrapped around each side of the door handle. I was in my second superset on 4 of 5 and just as I start pulling my self up SNAP!!! and I fall back and hit the top of the tub with back. Luckily I was barefoot and my feet slid out which changed my momentum from going straight back to a down and back direction. It hurt like hell, but no real lasting issues. We'll see how I feel in the morning about it!

I was always very weary of the possibility of slipping while doing let me ins so I chose a door that has nothing behind it except an empty carpeted floor. My wife, who is more cautious than I probably am, insisted upon it as well. It's hard to trust the door handle and/or your grip that much. I'm getting to the one armed let me ins next week so we'll see how it goes.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Gloves with a thin layer of padding on the palms should help out.

Let me ins did hurt my hands at first, but that went away after a couple times of doing them. If you are gripping the door knob with your hands, the gloves should help. You could always switch to doing them with a towel.

As far as let me ups, how are you doing them? if you are doing them using a dining room table, I feel your pain! That is how I was doing them when I first started but quickly looked to find another way as it was hurting my hands. Gloves help a bit, but they made me feel as though I was losing my grip. Gloves and a round bar makes them a lot easier on the hands.

Maybe others reading might be able to share how they perform let me up!

I do not know exactly how you are doing the dips, but let me see if I can offer some suggestions. When you are performing the seated dips, pay attention to how you position your hands so you are not put and awkward strain on your wrists. If they start hurting, try adjusting the direction your hands point a little. In addition, when I do seated dips I always try to focus getting back as close to the chair as possible (sometimes just barely touching the chair as I do the movements). I have found that the further away your back is from you hands, the greater the strain on the wrists and forearms.

I hope this helps! Maybe someone else can chime it with something different!

I was gripping a towel for let me ins but I still think gloves are needed. My fragile womanly hands can't take the strain! (add sarcasm)
    I will change my position for the seated dips, my back was probably too far away from my hands. I've done dips before without difficulty but it was always only 10-20 reps before I called it quits.

I'm using the dining room table for let me ups. We have a bar at my boyfriend's mom's house which I want to use but it's going to be another week and a half until I can drive to get it. Hopefully the let me ups won't be too painful until then.

Thank you for your tips!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Knee pain due to allowing - even momentarily - my knee to go past my working foot on Bulgarian Split Squats. Need to make sure the knee never tracks past the foot in single leg lunges of any kind.
  • IIFerdi
    IIFerdi Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We all have pains and stuff like that while working out. But it is important that you don't let it go to far.

I always rate my work outs afterwards with 3 subjects. RPE, Effort, RPD, Pains and RPT technical form( if your form isn't correct you don't benefit from it as good as you should.)

So I try to keep RPD 3 or lower (RPE and RPT 8 or higher) Discomfort includes pains but also overstretching muscles or any kind of discomfort( but not soreness from working out afterwards or during because of intensive use of the muscle) If I go over it I try to localize why. Perhaps I can do something about it. Like gloves or knee pads. If it is because of over stretching i ease up with the exercise by replacing it with another for some time.

It's a very good way to keep track off your exercises. It may sounds very simple what I do but I do think it prevents me for some injuries.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Oh man... Side jumps I remember totally shot my back. I have a really bad lower back so I have to be really careful with high impact moves xD

I remember my hands hurting like hell due to the let me ins and let me ups. I've shared my let me in trick before: I use resistance band flexible handles around the door knobs. They won't snap, they won't slip, and the grip is hella comfier! (Although before I did that, my hands got callouses around the fingers so it got a lot better too)

I did my let me ups with the kitchen table. On that one, it's really just to get through the pain. I still do them with knees bent though...

Oh, it wasn,t doing YaYog but one day I tried to hang from my pull up bar to gauge how far I could come up after another workout. It,s one of those power gym bars you can slip in any door frame. I just swung a little back without noticing and went crashing to the floor along with the bar. Fell on my left big toe and was sure for like 5 minutes it was broken. I ended up losing the nail. That was back in november last year and it's still not fully grown back. So... wear shoes when you do pull-ups! lol