Suggestions for quick, fat-filled snacks?

Options
paleobacon
paleobacon Posts: 38 Member
Long story short: I constantly find myself having fat cravings. I know I should add more things such as olive oil to the foods I eat, but does anyone have suggestions for really good high-fat snacks? I'd prefer to stay away from dairy, but I'm not completely ruling it out. Thanks!

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    FAT BOMBS!!!!!!
    http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.ca/2012/07/fat-bombs.html
    http://pinterest.com/mustbemelly/fat-bombs/
    http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/lemon-coconut-fat-bombs/
    These are just a few options.
    They are a great thing to have on hand but I have to be careful as sometimes I can get out of control!
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I reach for the nut butters or nuts primarily. If you eat dairy (I don't anymore) a couple of TBS of cream cheese with unsweetened cocoa powder, and stevia is a good snack. I've seen a recipe for mounds/almond joy using coconut oil, but haven't tried it, but sounds like a pretty good FB.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just dip nuts in coconut oil (when it's the right consistency like butter). Even yummier - mix some coconut oil with a little honey and a lot of cinnamon - OMG.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Definitely nuts, nuts and more nuts. :)
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado with some salt. So good!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Love that. Or guac on some veggies. I just did that for lunch and used cucumbers - yum.

Hard boiled eggs are good too - more protein in there, but those fill me up too.
  • iyamkristin
    iyamkristin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just made paleo mayo in 30 seconds with a hand blender. You'd be amazed at what you can do with it. For example, add some spices to make it ranch, add some shredded chicken or tuna to fix up a fat bomb salad. Bonus: It's made with olive oil
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Love that. Or guac on some veggies. I just did that for lunch and used cucumbers - yum.

Hard boiled eggs are good too - more protein in there, but those fill me up too.

These! I was going to say an avocado - I put it on my salads (and skip any dressing!). I also mixed avocado with tuna to make tuna salad, rather than using mayo (I haven't tried making my own).

The eggs are a good idea, too! And bacon. :)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad. I bought a beautiful, organic avocado yesterday and thought it was ripe, but when I cut it open it wasn't edible. Will it still ripen, or am I out the money I spent?
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    a spoonful of coconut butter! or other nut butter. I also make paleo mayo and use it in a sardine salad (like tuna salad just with sardines from wild planet foods) olives, hard boiled eggs and of course avocado are some other ones.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my go too, feel full because of the fat foods (some have been mentioned):
    - Nuts to include nut butters.
    - Avocado
    - Eggs (not every day)
    - Plain Greek Yogurt (full fat) - a cup has 22 grams of fat and 16 grams of protein
    - Bacon!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad. I bought a beautiful, organic avocado yesterday and thought it was ripe, but when I cut it open it wasn't edible. Will it still ripen, or am I out the money I spent?
    Avocado will not ripen when you cut into it.
    Here is a tip to see if your avocado is ripe
    http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/originals/39/71/7b/39717b6f069d13c10b8649f08ec74fd7.jpg
    Also,avocado is one item that does not need to be organic when you buy it and here is why
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-foods-you-dont-need-to-buy-organic/#axzz2ZOb9cm6z
  • punchedpotatoes
    Options
    Have you tried pork rinds (cooked in their own fat)? Delicious.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you're open to a (lightly) processed meat, Applegate Farms makes a really good pepperoni that's both fatty and protein-y with no nitrates, antibiotics, etc. I just discovered that if you cut 4 slices into a few pieces and microwave it for one minute, it makes a really good "chip" that you can then use to eat guacamole and such. Likewise, Applegate Farms makes a nitrate-free salami that's really good, and like all salami it's relatively fatty. If you are Primal leaning/open to dairy, there's a cookbook that you might want to check out that's called Fat Fast--it's for a low-carb technique for breaking plateaus, and it includes lots of recipes that are around 200ish calories and very high in fat.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pork rinds (cooked in their own fat)? Delicious.

I can't thank you enough for posting this. I'm a huge chipaholic and didn't think about pork rinds (just looked them up, and Utz original is just the pork fat and salt!)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My 2 go to snacks if I'm at home - Mashed avocado on hot crispy bacon. Chicken dipped in coconut oil.

If I'm out, always nuts.