Whole30 Question

Options
raisingbabyk
raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
Starting a Whole30 tomorrow since i've had way too many paleo slip ups lately, We buy our meat every 2 weeks and marinade and freeze it. My husband has put honey in it... about 1tbsp per bag which is about 4-5 portions. Because its such a small amount and most of it will cook off/stay in the bag is this going to wreck my Whole 30? It will only be for the first 6 days and then we will do another shop and he wont put honey in it. Buying new meat this week is not in the budget.

Replies

• rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i have read that you can NOT have anything with any kind of "added" sugar or you should start over basically.
    Bacon that even has the smallest traces of added sugar is not even allowed.
    I would do it with the meat you have until you get new meat, but start the day you get new meat at day 1.
  • raisingbabyk
    Options
    Thanks for the response!

Yes, ive decided i'm going to a "pre-whole30" with the meat I have, and then actually start the 30 days after our big shop
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    With 1TBS divided by 4-5 servings is only trace honey, so why not start it anyway? It may a slight deviation, but would be an improvement to the way that you were eating ("paleo slip ups"). I am a Whole30 dropout cause I just couldn't stay off of the scale:ohwell:
    My household eats paleo and Atkins, so sugar is always off limits. If you do purchase meats that are typically cured, there are nitrate/nitrate free versions. I buy the Applegate brand, which are paleo friendly. Best of luck!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    With 1TBS divided by 4-5 servings is only trace honey, so why not start it anyway? It may a slight deviation, but would be an improvement to the way that you were eating ("paleo slip ups").

I agree. This is YOUR Whole30. You make the rules. I started the Whole30 on July 1, but am a marathon runner and needed extra cals one day and had a Larabar (all Whole30 ingredients). I didn't feel guilty about it. I needed it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Do your Whole30 the way you want. However, a marinade does not need honey. I don't add sweet to anything anymore, but that's just me. I get derailed if my carbs get much over 5% of my calories.
  • raisingbabyk
    Options
    Do your Whole30 the way you want. However, a marinade does not need honey. I don't add sweet to anything anymore, but that's just me. I get derailed if my carbs get much over 5% of my calories.

Oh i completely agree that it does not *need* honey.. My hubby just likes it:wink: so he put it in for flavor. We won't be doing that this next shopping trip.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with your Whole30, your rules. I'm doing a Whole5 right now to get back on track after a couple weeks of horrible eating, but even when I did a true Whole30 I didn't nit-pick too much. That's just stressful and I don't need extra stress. Things like worrying too much about oils that foods were cooked in (at home we only use coconut or olive) and bacon having miniscule amounts of sugar, etc. ... Anyway, my point is that I'd use the meat that you have and otherwise stay on target and call it good.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    the only thing about your own rules for a whole 30 then it's not called a whole 30..that's the program..call it something else if you want to do it differently..the point is it's 30 days of all the rules that they want you to do for this short period of time..there is a reason and it's important to follow it to the letter.
    the website and forum are a great place to ask questions about all things whole 30
    http://whole9life.com/start/ (start here)
    http://forum.whole9life.com (for the forum)
    http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ (can I have information)
    http://whole9life.com/faq/ (FAQ)
    hope it goes really well for you..I did 45 days last summer and it was a great experience :)