NSV Blood results

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
Hello all! In 2011, our company announced that if you meet in 3 of 5 health areas you will get a discount on your health insurance. The areas are waist circumference, HDL, tryglyercides, blood pressure and blood sugar. They gave us a year's notice before the first test (last year). In 2011, I would have met 1, possible 2 out of the 5 (blood sugar and blood pressure.) That is one of the things that encouraged me to join and stick with MFP. In 2012, I met 3 and got the discount for this year. I just had the testing for this year. I met 4 of the 5!!! I'm estatic (I did not get waist circumference, I'm thick waisted.) But even better than that, most of my ratios are highly desirable!! I loving it!!!

PS I am not as compliant to pure paleo as I should be. But this reaffirms that this is the lifestyle I need to be living.

Replies

• CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. congrats on the NSV! My blood work has improved with this way of eating, even my cholesterol. WTG, it's always nice to save some $$ too!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I can't wait until my next doctor's appointment so I can ask for a full blood workup!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's where it really counts, too, because it will help you live a longer, healthier life!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just got my first blood work since I went on paleo/primal and my cholesterol has dropped 20%. Still high, but moving in the right direction fast.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    "my cholesterol dropped".. remember total cholesterol can be pretty meaningless. You want high hdl and low ldl and trigs. Its the trig hdl ration that matter so much more than a total number.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    "my cholesterol dropped".. remember total cholesterol can be pretty meaningless. You want high hdl and low ldl and trigs. Its the trig hdl ration that matter so much more than a total number.

Yes, I did increase hdl and decrease ldl for a 20% total drop. Should have been more specific.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congrats.

My work is doing something similar starting next year only there are 5 categories and if you don't meet all of them you need to have a coaching session (by phone) or your insurance costs more.

The 5 categories are:

Body Mass Index (BMI) Less than or equal to 29.9
    Blood pressure Less than or equal to 140/90
    LDL Cholesterol (Bad) Less than or equal to 160
    Blood sugar Less than or equal to 130
    Non-tobacco use No tobacco use is permitted
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Congrats.

My work is doing something similar starting next year only there are 5 categories and if you don't meet all of them you need to have a coaching session (by phone) or your insurance costs more.

The 5 categories are:

Body Mass Index (BMI) Less than or equal to 29.9
    Blood pressure Less than or equal to 140/90
    LDL Cholesterol (Bad) Less than or equal to 160
    Blood sugar Less than or equal to 130
    Non-tobacco use No tobacco use is permitted

We have separate non tobacco discount, basically if you meet both of them the high deductible plan is free for you and the normal deductible plan is about 1/2 price. Your is more stringent as it does not give you any wiggle room. Next year, I have a goal of 5 of 5.