taekwondo

Options

Replies

• LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    currently low red... but prepping for advancement.. was going to happen end of the month but got pushed to the back of august..frustrating..lmao..but i dont mind. any who i train ITF tkd in longview wa.. itching with excitment... with some hard work and dedication i may finally get my black belt in less than a years time...crossing fingers... something i thought i would never have a chance at after being out for several years, gaining weight, injured back, and a few other health issues.
  • parrrp
    parrrp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    5th dan in wtf. A lot of people seem to find patterns boring, but I think they're vital. It irons out a lot of issues with stances and posture that you can get away with otherwise and feed into bad technique. I enjoy them these days, they put me in a good state of mind and are one of the few things I can fully focus on. The internet has turned my brain into a grasshopper in most other activities ;D
  • turboterie
    turboterie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Currently practicing ITF TKD. I have my red belt and have had it for a little over a year now.

I have previous experience in WTF TKD.

ITF is by far my favorite.
  • turboterie
    turboterie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ive done both ITF and WTF tkd. i got 5th gup in WTF and first dan in ITF.

, a lot of tkd clubs do not allow cross training. they beleive that tkD is the only way and that is all you should do. one of the reasons i stopped going.

That's too bad. At the gym I train at, we are encouraged to take on other forms of training to better ourselves. Before I had my son (read: I had more time to train) I also trained in boxing and was learning a little bit of grappling.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i luv patterns. they are a great way to practice, not to mention great exercise..specially when you get close to black belt and up... when you have a bunch of them to do.
  • parrrp
    parrrp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid like the plague any club that claims their martial art is the only one worth doing. All the martial arts are different and you can learn something from all styles, but you'll learn less from a club with that narrow a view.

The WTF is better / worse than ITF argument is stupid. They're different, WTF obviously has a more amusing name, but other than that it's really down to the club and instructor, more than what they call their style. You get inspirational teachers with good clubs and terrible teachers with terrible clubs in every style of every martial art.

Another common stupidity is 'oh but $martial art is just a sport, mine is the real deal'. No it isn't. You don't have to fight for survival, people don't regularly try to kill you, you go to a class with friends and practice. Even if you practice really hard it's still a sport. If you get proficient in any martial art you can use it effectively in a real fight situation, but it's still a (useful, awesome) sport.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have to say, out of all the training we do, I love doing patterns! Provided I stay on target I should be a 1st Dan Black Belt in April 2015.

As for other styles of TKD joining the TAGB style, I don't know about other Instructors, but my Instructor gives the student a probationary period to see if what they know and can do matches the same grade. We've had a couple of WTF students join us and one had to drop a grade, the other retained theirs.

I did Jiu Jitsu for a while (on an enforced break TKD - health issues) but with my health issues flaring up and not being able to land correctly when being thrown I stopped going. I did learn a lot from the brief spell, and could see where some techniques in TKD could be continued with closing in and grappling, rather that keeping back. I'm looking at maybe taking up kick boxking or Krav Maga once I start at college since I'll have more time to do classes and get a substantial discount on the fees!
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Taekwondo here. I did Judo for about two semesters (~8 months), but found it boring. I've done Taekwondo for 10 years now. First degree black belt because I'm a poor doctorate student that doesn't have close to a grand to test any higher lol. I teach at and manage the university taekwondo club, and though it's a huge time commitment, I'm not paid, and I don't receive much support from the club to which we are an affiliate, I still enjoy doing it very much.

Oh and amen to this!: "I'd avoid like the plague any club that claims their martial art is the only one worth doing. All the martial arts are different and you can learn something from all styles, but you'll learn less from a club with that narrow a view."
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am with the Ho Am Taekwondo. I did it in the past at the community center when I was 35 and did it for 5 years. When we went with a private studio, I opted to put my girls through first since I was having health issues at the time. My two oldest girls are level 2 black belts, my youngest is a 1st degree and I'm back in it and am a brown level 1.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Judo Ikkyu (3 stripe brown), hopefully do a Batsugun tournament this year and do well enough to earn my black belt. My sensei moved away and I live in a small college town, so no instruction :( At least BJJ is ubiquitous now and I can improve my matwork and compete in that.

Sucks you can't find a Judo place either man. I will be in love with Judo my whole life, so incredibly beautiful and brutal at the same time. Even after I snapped my ACL in Randori all I cared about was how long before I could come back.

It seems like BJJ is everywhere man, isn't there a good place near you?
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did Tae Kwon Do many years ago... (ITF)
    I did many other things after and later discovered Hapkido...And never stopped after that.

Lots of Tae Kwon Do in Hapkido.....
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Judo Ikkyu (3 stripe brown), hopefully do a Batsugun tournament this year and do well enough to earn my black belt. My sensei moved away and I live in a small college town, so no instruction :( At least BJJ is ubiquitous now and I can improve my matwork and compete in that.

Sucks you can't find a Judo place either man. I will be in love with Judo my whole life, so incredibly beautiful and brutal at the same time. Even after I snapped my ACL in Randori all I cared about was how long before I could come back.

It seems like BJJ is everywhere man, isn't there a good place near you?

The only school anywhere near me is TKD or Karate. I want JUDO or BJJ. However the only school for both is 30 minutes away.
  • kravmark2
    kravmark2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

IM a krav guy but love all forms of martial arts & the discipline they instill. I started Wing Chun Kung Fu when I was 16 then opened my first school in my early 20's. After 9/11 my interest in Krav Maga peaked and I was in the military at the time. It took me a few more years but now I teach mainly Krav Maga though I offer Wing Chun as private training. Always looking for martial arts friends on MFP. feel free to add me

Mark
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Taken TKD for going on 7 years. 2nd degree black belt. We practice WTF and ITF forms. Love it.
  • jenmck5
    Options
    My school is a nonprofit. Black belt instructors volunteer their time. We are a traditional family styled TKD. I feel we embrace all martial arts but enjoy the discipline and respect the traditional method gives us. We practice self-defense techniques, forms and board-breaking. I know that some of our students have black belts in other martial arts and every once in a while will teach things from them.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am grading for red belt in WTF tkd this Sunday.

I hate forms too, I like sparring although the sparring class runs too early for people with office jobs in the city to get to, which is annoying.
  • jenmck5
    Options
    Forms are my favorite because I like the steady breathing, it calms me down after all the kicks and basic movements. At my black belt test I was glad we got to our forms, it let us get into our rhythm of things - we had 12 of us from the same area testing and we did a great job of staying together. You could really tell we trained together. We had to know 14 ITF and WTF forms.

ChasingStarli - What are some of the requirements for your red belt grading at your school? Good luck and Pil Sung
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Part of my Shodan testing is going to be a form (Kata). We don't really start any kata in Judo until the black belt level. Even then, there are only 10 total katas and most Judoka won't perform more than 2 or 3 of them in their lifetime. All of our Katas are 2 person and involve attacks of genuine strength and speed that have to be dealt with with no discernible effort. The Katame No Kata is ground pinning and it's the partners duty to struggle and try to escape with all of their strength.

I never thought I would like doing a Kata, but forcing yourself to do the throw with absolute precision, timing, and lack of effort really is educational.

Doing a wrestling class this Sunday (normally just BJJ 2x weekly now), really looking forward to learning my No Gi standup grappling so I can make better use of my Judo.
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ch'ang hon TKD here :) It costs $1000 for a grading in some places?!?!? Wow :(
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    jenmck5- thanks!

I got a distinction and distinction in my class work too, so I was very happy. I was slightly concerned as I had a Korean guy grading me (so I thought he might be extra hard) and my partner was my sister-in-law who was out partying until 2am and was not at her best. But it was all good.

For our colour belt gradings we have to demonstrate the relevant pattern, relevant kicks (this time it was running axe and back foot), two punching drills, self defence- specific defences for club, knife, lapel and ground (sometimes gun- we learnt it but they didn't test it this time), sparring and step sparring showing off any blocks, strikes, kicks, take downs and locks. It took about an hour and a half.

It cost $70 to grade, but I think that is acceptable. My school is very big and has 4 locations, so they hire a big venue for gradings. They have one examiner for every 8 students, first aid etc. Probably about 120 adults/teens graded at the same time as me. They have separate gradings for the kids and black belts.