CHIA Seeds?

Options
Thoughts? I love them in smoothies!!! Anyone else use them? What for?

Replies

• beckles00
    beckles00 Posts: 18
    Options
    Chia seeds are a new edition to my diet and I now love them on my porridge each morning.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I add them to my bran porridge I have weekly.

I make a no-bake nugget cookie
    IN A BOWL: 1 jar of almond butter + 2Tb agar softened in 1oz tea or water + 4 Tb unfiltered raw honey + 0.5 c chia seeds -->mix and let sit so that the chia seeds can absorb some of the moisture.
    THEN : 1.5 c shredded unsweetened coconut + 0.5 c oat bran + 0.75 c wheat germ + 0.25 c rice bran + 1 tsp Sea Salt--> stir into nut-seed mix to combine evenly
    THEN I use a coffee scoop or melon baller to form the nuggets, packing the mixture in tightly then flicking them out onto baking paper with the tip of a knife. I usually get about 48 nuggets.
    Per Serving: 104 cal 7g-carb 8g-fat 3g-protein 3g-fiber 2g-sugar
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I grind up 2 T flax and 1 T of Chia, and mix it with.1/2 cup of warm almond milk and cinnamon for a kick butt grain free porridge. Also put them in smoothies.
  • katerinavonhummel
    Options
    Oh wow, I made something similar with a recipe I found on here using peanut butter, unfortunately I consumed the entire batch in 2 days..but this sounds awesome, may have to try it. Is that much fat bad if you're trying to lose weight though (I'm trying to lose)?
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    Oh wow, I made something similar with a recipe I found on here using peanut butter, unfortunately I consumed the entire batch in 2 days..but this sounds awesome, may have to try it. Is that much fat bad if you're trying to lose weight though (I'm trying to lose)?

I still have a few teens at home, so I have lots of help eating them. If I eat one or 2 I am still within my macros (30% fat). I upped it from a more usual 20-25%, because omega fats help deal with inflammation from autoimmune diseases. This has been key for me to lose weight and not trigger RA episodes.

For me the key to weightloss is a low glycemic diet. In current kcal count it is keeping my daily sugar below 30g, so it is fruit, grains, and sugars I put a cap on.

**These are a treat I make when I get a desire for something starchy and sweet that will not go away. So rather than make a batch of traditional cookies that would be higher in carbs and sugar, I make these. I am getting protein and fiber along with whatever mouth feel and taste texture I was craving.

I extend the snack by having a warm beverage with it or sometimes a small bowl of plain yoghurt AND I putt them on a small plate, then I put the container away before I go and sit have my snack--which is often at my desk upstairs.

I do not get cravings often (less than monthly), so I do not think that there are underlying nutritional deficits in my diet. And I find that when I satisfy cravings in reasonable measured way, I do not binge and I do not feel obligated to have a piece of birthday cake...have an ice cream cone just because everyone else is. I would, if I really wanted one, but I am (after years) able to synch my mind with my body signals...95% of the time.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    I grind up 2 T flax and 1 T of Chia, and mix it with.1/2 cup of warm almond milk and cinnamon for a kick butt grain free porridge. Also put them in smoothies.

This is a good one! Sounds like a perfect comfort food on a cold winter morning.
  • InvisoningMe
    InvisoningMe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im not into many grains.. cause of the gluten factor.. Would like to know more about chia seeds
  • wideeyedla
    Options
    I use both chia and flax as I am doing NO grains. They are seeds, not cereals, so no gluten issues. Both are very high in fiber (flax insoluble, chia soluble) and Omega 3 fats (the good kind).

Chia absorbs an amazing amount of liquid. You can just add it whole to water and drink it. It creates a gel around the seed. I like making a hot cereal out of it when I am tired of eggs :)
  • thugstrife
    thugstrife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed a difference with anything (i.e. improved digestion) with regularly eating Chia? My experience with chia seeds makes me think they are just another fad food.
  • katerinavonhummel
    Options

I still have a few teens at home, so I have lots of help eating them. If I eat one or 2 I am still within my macros (30% fat). I upped it from a more usual 20-25%, because omega fats help deal with inflammation from autoimmune diseases. This has been key for me to lose weight and not trigger RA episodes.

For me the key to weightloss is a low glycemic diet. In current kcal count it is keeping my daily sugar below 30g, so it is fruit, grains, and sugars I put a cap on.

**These are a treat I make when I get a desire for something starchy and sweet that will not go away. So rather than make a batch of traditional cookies that would be higher in carbs and sugar, I make these. I am getting protein and fiber along with whatever mouth feel and taste texture I was craving.

I extend the snack by having a warm beverage with it or sometimes a small bowl of plain yoghurt AND I putt them on a small plate, then I put the container away before I go and sit have my snack--which is often at my desk upstairs.

I do not get cravings often (less than monthly), so I do not think that there are underlying nutritional deficits in my diet. And I find that when I satisfy cravings in reasonable measured way, I do not binge and I do not feel obligated to have a piece of birthday cake...have an ice cream cone just because everyone else is. I would, if I really wanted one, but I am (after years) able to synch my mind with my body signals...95% of the time.

I am ignorant about fat amounts, sugars etc etc although I have been (in my mind) a "healthy eater" for a long time. I too have noticed my sugars are always way up because I eat tons of fruit. So I will look into the glycemic index- thank you for pointing this out.

Coincidently I was just reading about cravings being related to nutritional deficiencies actually, (Guide to Nutritional Healing by Paul Pitchford), and now that you mentioned it as well I am going to do more research on it. I have been having some cravings and I was thinking maybe my calorie goal is too low (1280).
  • wideeyedla
    Options
    Has anyone noticed a difference with anything (i.e. improved digestion) with regularly eating Chia? My experience with chia seeds makes me think they are just another fad food.

Don't know if it is JUST the Chia, but IBS is mostly gone. Since I added a LOT of greens, I was expecting the opposite.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    Coincidently I was just reading about cravings being related to nutritional deficiencies actually, (Guide to Nutritional Healing by Paul Pitchford), and now that you mentioned it as well I am going to do more research on it. I have been having some cravings and I was thinking maybe my calorie goal is too low (1280).

When you finish the book, please give a brief summary. It sounds like it could be a good one. I might want to read it too.

Can't say whether kcal are low or not--but can suggest that you play around with your macros percentages, raisng some and lowering others. Selec GOALS and choose to "customize" rather than "recommended."
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I add them to almost everything I can! Oats, smoothies, casseroles, every bolonaise sauce! They have so many nutrients (protein, vitamins, fibre just to name a few). I wouldn't say I feel any different, but combined with healthy eating, you feel better anyways. The only supplement I have that makes a huge difference is spirulina. Tastes like crap, but keeps you regular and gives you that extra energy :)
  • InvisoningMe
    InvisoningMe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love my Flax & raw sesame seeds, Just never tried Chia seeds .. sound they are done alot like flax ?
  • katerinavonhummel
    Options

When you finish the book, please give a brief summary. It sounds like it could be a good one. I might want to read it too.

Can't say whether kcal are low or not--but can suggest that you play around with your macros percentages, raisng some and lowering others. Selec GOALS and choose to "customize" rather than "recommended."

Check it out on Amazon, there are extensive reviews, it huge and there is a section on RA I just gleaned through talking about anti inflamatories, it's quite a body of work!!
  • Melindhra
    Melindhra Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make chia seed pudding, and it's very yummy. It takes a few hours though, so you can't just make it right when you want to eat it. I don't have the recipe with me right now, but this one should suffice.

Creamy Coconut Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding
    http://www.petite-kitchen.com/2013/04/creamy-coconut-chia-seed-breakfast.html

I generally make it with vanilla extract and I use stevia instead of honey.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have them every day, I put them on anything and everything.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I recently made a raw strawberry jam using fresh chopped strawberries, fresh lemon juice, and chia seed to thicken.
    It was sooooo good!

I also use it in my low carb breads (no grains), smoothies, meats, as an egg replacement in recipes, in drinks.
    There's a million different ways to use them!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle chia seeds on my salad; super noms! :-)
  • Sknny_Btch
    Options
    I use a tablespoon every morning in my smoothie and I get a BIG energy boost! BUT I changed my eating drastically so I can't say for sure if it's from the chia, my working out or my eating clean but I feel great and I will use them forever!