Week 1 Challenge. Gather your thoughts.

Options
mercurysfire
mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
For this week the mental challenge is simple. And not so much. Sometimes we go so wrapped up in life, work, kids, parents, school, whatever it is that we lose sight of what's important. But it starts with you, inside your head and your heart. And sometimes your given an absolutely perfect moment- when all the noise and shuffling and to-do lists disappear for just a fleeting second and you get to feel absolute joy. For whatever reason- a smell, a memory, a song, just a stray set of circumstances come together to remind you that life is actually pretty good.

Think back to a time in your life when you felt that. The day where everything felt right. The day where nothing could stop you. Nothing could get in your way and the world was absolutely yours. Whether it was just for a minute or a whole day, whatever. Recreate that time in your mind and share it. This is your anchor. Your well where you draw strength when you feel like you've totally screwed up and want to just throw in the towel or like you just can't take another one of life's beatings. Feel free to share, but as always, there's no requirements here.

For the physical challenge- i dread pull ups. i suck at them. therefore, i must conquer them. Think of the exercise you avoid. (There's always one.) Not ones that you have to avoid for medical reasons. I mean the ones you just flat don't like. Why is it that particular one? The challenge is to do it anyway. Pick the one you hate the most whether it's situps or planks or lunges or bicep curls...whatever it may be. Do 10. Everytime you flex, think about getting stronger, fitter, and how this exercise really isn't that bad, now that you really think about it. If it's cardio, put on your power music or your favorite tv show and go for just 20 minutes hard as you can until you get those endorphins. you may have to repeat a few times until you feel it. but they'll come.

for the food challenge, pick an unfamiliar fruit or veggie. you may have to go to an ethnic grocer. pick something you've never eaten before. tell us what it is and how you fixed it and your thoughts on it. be curious. be creative.

Replies

• CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OK, now, let me set the record straight here, I am completely happy with having my child and my husband. I love them to death and I cannot imagine a world without them now...however....the world that I picture when I was truly the most happy with MYSELF was a time back about 11 years ago, before I met my husband; before I finished college and before I really knew what I wanted out of life. I was carefree in that sense. But I was happy with ME. I was running about 4-6 miles a day, I was down to a weight that I was totally comfortable with inside and out. I walked with my head held high everywhere I went. I can remember getting honked at on a semi-regular basis on my runs...and as funny as it sounds I had no idea why they were doing it...cause I had been heavy all my life up until then...my mom would just laugh at me when I told her about it. But it felt good;)
    I also remember these shorts I wore...now, mind you, 11 years ago I was 20. They were these white short shorts with bright flowers on them and OMG they were awesome! They zipped up the side and fed into my preppy little wardrobe loving being. And as a reminder of where I got so terribly side tracked...I still have those shorts...really...11 year old shorts are sitting in a box under my bed...along with a few other clothes that I will probably never wear out but would just DIE if I could get back into.
    So that's my mental challenge this week. I am picturing myself as that happy runner zipping up those white floral shorts holding my head up high. I can do this! I can get back there!!
    And to start me off are freakin' push ups...20 of them a day...I did them yesterday...and I will do them again today! Girly ones but by GOD I will do them!!
    Going out of town to Asheville this weekend for a lacrosse tourney for my husband's lacrosse team so I'm going to snoop around for some different food...should be a good place to find something different...:)
  • goodmorningglory
    Options
    mental traveler...ah! sigh... slow down, breathe in and breathe out finding my quiet spot

An exercise I learned to love...seventh grade sit-up champion!!! Have no idea how I managed but I had a lot of cheering from my friends and my motivation was the new guy at school I could not get out of my head!

Food...hmmmm something old I'm willing to give up - french fries, curly fries, mashed potatoes
    something new in my future - mango, seen a recipe for mango salsa. What do I eat with salsa that isn't deep fried? Help!
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ok well my happy time would be the entire year of 2005. It wasn't a perfect year but it was when all that young adult, coming of age stuff happened for me. I had the greatest time with my friends, started dating my husband, and experienced a lot of new things. I also had a smokin' hot bod! I recently found a old box of clothes from that period and couldn't figure out how I actually fit into any of them.

My physical activity would be running (ugh)...I hate it :sick: :angry: :grumble: I just don't think I'm made for it...my feet are awkward, I feel like I look silly..ugh BUT I'm doing the Electric Run tonight....I had planned on Electric Walking but I'll try to run part of the way and I will make the commitment to go run at least twice in the coming week. Maybe a good playlist will help..any good running music suggestions?

New Fruit or Veggie: This was tough for me because I'm a very curious eater I'm always trying new stuff so there wasn't much more "new" I could think of. I found a purple bell pepper at Whole Foods, which I've never had before. I read that they're supposed to be antioxidant rich. I sliced it julienne and sauteed it in EVOO w/ garlic and spring onion to put over baked chicken. It was very tasty! I didn't tell my husband what it was because he doesn't really like bell peppers....he ate two servings.
  • anmusselman
    anmusselman Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mental challenge:
    When I was in college I used to work out a lot in my room where i couldnt be bothered, it was "me time" and i dont get that very much anymore. Well those were the moments i felt completely okay and happy, it was a break from the rest of life. I think I'm going to take those moments back. Today im going to feed and water my 4dogs, 10cats, and 2rats(which is like an hour long endeavor lol), bike to grocery store and get some healthy food. throw some laundry in the washer.. AND THEN: Take an hour to myself, throw on the music and just workout :)

Physical Challenge:
    I cant do a single pull-up.. I am going to try my hardest this whole week to get at-least one full pull up :)

Food Challenge:
    The only fruit i really eat are bananas. And i have a hard time drinking water. So I am going to tackle 2birds with 1stone. Fruit infused water... You put the fruit in a jug/jar/pitcher of water and let it sit for 30minutes.

1. Green tea, mint, lime- fat burning, digestion, headaches, congestion and breath freshener.

2. Strawberry, kiwi- cardiovascular health, immune system protection, blood sugar regulation, digestion.

3. Cucumber, lime, lemon- water weight management, bloating, appetite control, hydration, digestion

4. Lemon, lime, orange- digestion vitamin C, immune defense, heartburn, (Drink this one at room temperature.)
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Mental Challenge: One of the times in my life that I've felt my best.
    I was 18 years old and TRULY away from home for the first time. I'd joined the Air Force and was in basic training. Around 4 weeks into training, I remember standing with a group of other women as we were waiting to be weighed in. We'd finished our morning run and were chatting quietly. After I did my weigh in, I remember feeling so GOOD. I was in the best shape of my life, on my own, and LOVING it. I was also at the lowest weight I'd ever been to date, hehehe.

Physical Challenge:
    For some reason, I've been avoiding strength training. I know building muscle is a key ingredient to dropping some of this weight and is just plain good for me. Last week, we found a home gym on Craigslist and it was too good of a deal to pass up. It is now installed in my house and stares at me every time I walk by. Sigh....no excuses, right?

Food Challenge:
    I'm pretty open to trying new foods, but eggs and mushrooms are items that I just cant seem to get around. I kept hearing from various sources that I should try portabello mushrooms because they're "meaty" vs tasting like dirt. Last night I grabbed two portabellos from the store and marinated them in a combo of olive oil, balsamic vineger, and spices. I chopped up some onion and bell pepper and tossed that in the marinade as well.
    I then threw the chopped veggies on top of the mushrooms, sprinkled with cheese, and roasted them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. I wont say I loved it....but I didnt hate it either. It had an interesting (but not horrible flavor). The texture wasnt horribly spongy either, which helped. I might actually try this recipe again.
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have already addressed a lot of these in my other posts, but this one has a little more detail so I guess I will reiterate some and expand on others. The mental part is what I do every day. I have a lot of joy in my life. I can’t zero it down to a minute or a day, it has been continual for a while (I contribute that to Jesus.) It’s intentional. Every day we have a choice. I find joy in small things. I had struggles. I’ve battled cancer this year. I was a graduate student with lots of stress. I had a struggle getting an internship locally and am now relocating 10 hours away. At a point it felt like I was getting kicked in the head after I had been knocked down. But good came out of all of it. On the third of August, I am moving to Victoria, TX for my internship. I remember during the interview I felt that joy knowing it was mine. With this physical move I have been making a mental move which is something else that has made me begin this health journey I am on. Today, today is the day.

Physical challenge: Day one of challenge I was able to do 13 real pushups. Day 2, I did 21 girly pushups. I for some reason couldn’t do a regular one today. I wondering if there is some way to make this easier…lol.

As for the food, I cannot think of any new food I haven’t tried and will have to go by the market to get ideas. If anyone has any idea for me, let me know.
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For the food challenge I had a pluot. I had never tried one before. It is an hybrid plum/apricot. It was very delicious. It has a firmer texture than the plum. It was so sweet and juicy. I am so glad we had this challenge, I would have missed out on something so good.:happy:
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I remember feeling rather invincible in college. I was smart, young, fit, had plenty of friends and always on the go. I would like to think back to those times. Those years were fabulous.

I am having trouble with finding an exercise I hate just because I am so focused on training for a 5K in Sept. For me, I am increasing my mileage by 10% each week. That is my challenge for myself!

I will try to find an unfamiliar food to try. Thanks for the idea.
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    in 2001 i studied in sydney for a semester. it was kind of lonely being so far away from everyone and everything that i knew, but it was the first (and only) time in my life where i didn't have to ask permission or justify anything. i walked that city every single day for 5 months. i ran almost every night, not because i wanted to get in shape, but just because i wanted to run. not the shuffling amble i do now, i mean a full run for as far as my body would take me. i knew jack about nutrition though (it led to some problems during the trip- travel puts a lot of stress on your body) which maybe would have been helpful. i had boundless energy, insatiable curiosity, and a wild streak a mile wide. :) but i was the absolute master of my destiny then.

i hate pull ups. BUT to start aerial training i have to be able to do 1 unassisted pull up. just 1. i think i can do this. my goal is to take a beginner class starting in november. i told hubs it's what i want for our anniversary. they don't have anything scheduled that far out, but i'm keeping an eye on it.

my grovery stores have pretty standard fare, so that was kind of disappointing. there is a chinese grocery store a block away from my house though. i found a can of rombutan stuffed with pineapple. there are also artulfo mangoes by the bucketload. i'm not a huge fan of mangoes, but i havent ever tried that kind. and i used to have a recipe for breakfast mango bread pudding that rocked my face off. i had to stop making it because i couldn't stop eating it.

you may have to think a little outside the box for this one. but usually when you find one you haven't tried, it's close to some others as well. and check the canned section too. and ethnic grocery stores. restaurant dishes count. :)
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    They were these white short shorts with bright flowers on them and OMG they were awesome! They zipped up the side and fed into my preppy little wardrobe loving being. And as a reminder of where I got so terribly side tracked...I still have those shorts...really...11 year old shorts are sitting in a box under my bed...along with a few other clothes that I will probably never wear out but would just DIE if I could get back into.
    So that's my mental challenge this week. I am picturing myself as that happy runner zipping up those white floral shorts holding my head up high. I can do this! I can get back there!!

I drove by an American Apparel store yesterday on the window had a poster of a model in these white shorts with big bright flowers on them. :bigsmile: i thought of you. keep it up!!! you're well on your way to getting in those shorts again!
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey Hey...maybe I can be one of "those" moms who wear the "in" clothes this year;) I'm still young enough to pull that off right?? right?? I mean, come on...31...I can pull off a 3 inch inseam...cough:ohwell:
    I did pull them out and hang them up in my closet though;) I'll take a picture for all of you:flowerforyou:
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    heck yeah you're still young enough! :) i have no problem with the older crowd wearing short shorts and skirts. rock em if you got em. :)