Newbie who needs some support

Options
Hi all,

I am completely new to this forum and need some support. I have been under eating for quite some time and have decided that I need to nurse my body back to health. I recently started working out because I was afraid of the weight that I would gain once I started eating again. I am a female 5'2" currently between 99-100 lbs. if I have calculated correctly, my BMR=1253, TDEE=1942, and TDEE-cut=1650. I run 5x a week so I put my exercise level as moderate when calculating.

I have reset MFP from 1200 to 1650 because I know I need to get my body out of starvation mode. Is it all right that I am starting at TDEE-cut as opposed to the full TDEE? I feel like because my body has not been used to so many calories in so long, TDEE-cut is already enough calories to get my metabolism working again.

I have also set my goals to 40,30,30 for carbs, protein, and fat. How do you guys keep track of this? I am completely new to counting calories so I am unsure of how to start.

I know that I will initially gain some weight due to the drastic calorie intake but will I really start losing weight once my body adjusts to this?

Any help, suggestions, and support is much appreciated. I understand that this is a lifestyle change and I am motivated to get my body working properly again.

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    See how you go with you tdee at cut... if nothing happens then you might need to repair it by eatting at tdee for 8 weeks. Make sure youve calculated your exercise correct. Use scoobys calulator... read the into on the em2wl page.. and get into weights ;) im just starting my journey... but thats my understanding. Also I dont know how to track the macros other then on my phone Pp :) good luck :)
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Also... I never gained any weight by upping my cals... I instead lost cms :) its about maintaining muscle.. losing fat... for get the scales :) by a tape measure
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your journey towards a healthier you! You are going to be thrilled with your new-found energy after properly fueling your body.

The best thing you can to is to read all of the threads tacked at the top of the EM2WL Forum - they are full of wonderful info. Also, on the eatmore2weighless.com website you can buy a Starter Kit for only $5 which is a great reference, especially as you are beginning. I will copy and past a section from that guide here that explains the reset and two different options:

QUOTE:

"If we fail to put oil in our car, yet run it into the ground, and blow the engine, we have one of two choices: repair the engine, buy a new car, or accept life without a car and the limitations of it.

Upping calories to TDEE -15% (going straight to cut) is like repairing the engine - it will get the car running again, but it may or may not ever run the same

Doing a full metabolism reset is like purchasing a brand new car. It may take us some sacrificing to save up for it, or be approved for financing, etc, but when it's all said and done, we have the car, and can go where we need to go."

END QUOTE

Generally, it would be better to go ahead and do the full reset. Just take your time and maybe up your calories by 100 or 200 a week until you get to TDEE - that may make it more comfortable. I know that for me, it also minimized the weight gain through that process...

As far as your macros, yep you have them right. Just plan each meal around a protein and make sure to hit that protein macro each day --- the rest just sort of seems to fall into place naturally.

Feel free to add me if you would like some support along the way :-)
    Anitra
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!! Glad you're here!

In the beginning I had a hard time (mentally) allowing myself to eat my TDEE (even with a deficit). So I increased my calorie amount slowly. It took, I believe, 6 weeks for my body to stabilize and the weight to come off.

Looking back, I almost wish I had just jumped in with both feet and did the increase right away.

But you have to do what feels right for YOU since we're all different and our bodies respond in different manners.