Energy is lost...

Options
cloveraz
cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
So, I have been using MFP for a couple of years..But, I thought I would give the primal thing a try, seeing as I have been at a plateau, since December...I am used to long workouts along with eating carbs and would still be full of energy, but now that I have started a primal lifestyle, I am spent all the time. Is it just my body adjusting to lack of the carbs, because it kinda sucks...thanks:drinker:

Replies

• Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Hang in there! I had a terrible time the first week. I was completely exhausted and had a nagging headache the whole time. They call it the "carb flu". Your body is just withdrawing from all the refined carbs, sugars and processed stuff. Once the first week of so is over, you'll feel better than ever!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It can take a couple of weeks to adjust if you are coming from a high carb lifestyle.
    I am sure I was 10-12 days before things feeling normal and getting that true energy buzz.
    It will come to you.
    Good luck!
  • rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 10-12 day comment. I remember weakness and muscle pain as well as a foggy head and tiredness. I think that the transition can be eased with some sweet potato and some salt and/or maybe a banana.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can handle this!...Thank You!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    This may be related.
    From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" (Phinney, Volek). On high carb diets, we tend to retain salt. On low carb, your body will begin to dump sodium to the kidneys. You need lots of water to flush this out. But the result is that you are low on sodium, a key mineral. Your body then turns to potassium in an effort to preserve sodium. Low sodium can cause dizziness and fatigue; low potassium can cause muscle cramps and heart arrhythmia. You can also lose muscle mass, as potassium is key to maintain lean mass.

In the book they recommend 5 grams of sodium a day. The also recommend a cup of salty broth before a workout.

Good luck!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me, took a couple weeks, and increasing my fat intake helped alot
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    This may be related.
    From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" (Phinney, Volek). On high carb diets, we tend to retain salt. On low carb, your body will begin to dump sodium to the kidneys. You need lots of water to flush this out. But the result is that you are low on sodium, a key mineral. Your body then turns to potassium in an effort to preserve sodium. Low sodium can cause dizziness and fatigue; low potassium can cause muscle cramps and heart arrhythmia. You can also lose muscle mass, as potassium is key to maintain lean mass.

In the book they recommend 5 grams of sodium a day. The also recommend a cup of salty broth before a workout.

Good luck!

not read the article, but from personal experience salt depletion is a huge issue! Whenever i'm low carb i drop weight(water) t an amazing rate. BUT i feel weak as a kitten. if i get some salt down(from an electrolyte drink usually) i feel so much better.

took me YEARS to figure out it was salt that was what i needed.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the salt issue. Kiramaniac is very knowledgeable :-). Might also be related to the amount of carbs your are eating versus intensive exercise expenditure, I say this having recently upped my carbs. Whilst increasing salt helped, also needed to up carbs to 40-50 rather than around 20 to get my energy levels back! You might need to experiment to find an intake that suits your lifestyle.
    Your weight loss is fantastic!
  • wonderbolt
    wonderbolt Posts: 48
    Options
    You don't need to be low carb on Primal

Eat bananas, nuts and apples :)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing. About 2 weeks ago I went primal, and have very little energy. I did read somewhere that it can take awhile for our bodies to switch over to optimal fat-burning mode, and hope this is just a transition period. Overall, I really like eating this way though.
  • Emllynn
    Emllynn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way..about a week in. This is my second go around. I fell off the wagon about 2 months ago. I remember the first time it took me about a week and a half to get over the carb flu. After that get ready to feel like a million bucks!!!