New to Paleo

Options
impudentputz
impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
Hello All,
Just wanted to take a second and ask a question or two....

I am not sure that Paleo is the way to go, I have read a bunch of articles about it and know the basics to how it works. My first question is ... Will I get what I want from doing this? Meaning, I am at 230lbs at the moment. I want to get to 200-215 which obviously isnt that far off... however, I am still surrounded with massive fat stores. (Legs, Arms, and most importantly torso). I would like to lose the fat to get me to my goal weight and get my body looking fit as it should. So again, Will this get me where I need to go?

Secondly, Who has had great success with this? What were the rough spots for you? What did you come to enjoy about it? OK ok, so thatss like 4 questions, but whatever. Hope to hear back soon! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you want to preserve muscle, lose fat, and gain health...then I say yes, paleo is for you. This isn't a diet that you go on, lose some weight, and leave. This is a reprogramming of your mindset and your genes. My advice is to read "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson or visit his website: www.marksdailyapple.com. I haven't lost any weight eating this way, but that's not my goal. My goal is to lose some fat and increase muscle. So far so good. For me, the only rough thing is Mexican food. I love tortilla chips, so that was a big sacrifice for me. I love the foods I can eat--all the "good stuff" without any crap wraps or fillers. Just the meat and veggies. Also, I've noticed that I don't need things to be as sweet as I used to for me to enjoy them.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book "it starts with food"? This is an eye opener available on amazon. Exercise is your best friend to get rid of fat. Looks like you have done well already. I'm lucky because I was mostly paleo. I just cut the bread and flour. Good luck with your lifestyle change.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Well, I feel that I've had a lot of success with Paleo. I followed the diet strictly for the first month, and now I'm around 80/20 Paleo. I lost 10lbs. in my first two weeks and lost another five after that. I am now at my goal weight and have stayed there for ten months. The book that helped me get stated Was the 21-Day Primal Transformation by Mark Sisson. It's a good book for beginners and lays out the science and theory behind the diet very well.

I enjoy Paleo so much! I don't think I'll ever go back to a regular diet. As a woman, I spent years counting calories and watching what I ate... and the scale didn't budge. I ate a lot of carbs like whole grain bread and brown rice, and I avoided bacon, butter, steak, etc. due to it's high fat content. When I went Paleo, all of the foods that were a "no-no" were completely okay.... so I hardly felt like I was depriving myself. Now, I can have a steak for dinner and feel good about it! Paleo has made eating so much more enjoyable for me, and I don't miss the grains at all.

The first week is rough for most people. Your body basically withdraws from the grains and sugar, so you can feel tired and get headaches. It's called the "Carb Flu". It's worse for some than others, but I had it pretty bad the first week. After I got through that, I felt great! The only other thing that was hard to get used to is the preparation. You can't just stop at a fast food place to grab a quick meal or reach for snack out of a package. Most of the food you eat has to be prepared at home. Just set aside some time every week to prepare snacks, dressings, etc., and you'll be fine.

Best of luck on your Paleo journey!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I was able to drop about 15 lbs very quickly once I started eating primal. This leaned me out (particularly in the arms, chest and legs). Now I'm increasing strength training. Still leaning out, but not losing weight. I'm beginning to feel that the scale is an enemy to healthy lifestyles. I could get to a given weight and not be happy with how I look or feel.

Per Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint - if getting weight off is your goal, eat clean and walk a lot. If you want to look and feel better, add sprints and lift heavy things. I'm evidence it works.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you want to preserve muscle, lose fat, and gain health...then I say yes, paleo is for you. This isn't a diet that you go on, lose some weight, and leave. This is a reprogramming of your mindset and your genes. My advice is to read "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson or visit his website: www.marksdailyapple.com. I haven't lost any weight eating this way, but that's not my goal. My goal is to lose some fat and increase muscle. So far so good. For me, the only rough thing is Mexican food. I love tortilla chips, so that was a big sacrifice for me. I love the foods I can eat--all the "good stuff" without any crap wraps or fillers. Just the meat and veggies. Also, I've noticed that I don't need things to be as sweet as I used to for me to enjoy them.

This.

Will it get you "what you want"? Most likely, since you're cutting out the crap foods. It's very common for people to lose weight, without even trying.

The important part, though? Your triglycerides and cholesterol numbers will probably improve (independent of weight loss). You'll likely have more energy/feel better. You'll lose more fat than muscle. You'll be better nourished (get more vitamins and minerals, and actually be able to use them). You'll likely recover (both between big workouts and from illness or injury) faster, and you'll probably be less likely to get sick in the first place. You'll also very likely find yourself feeling better from things you either dismissed as "part of getting older" or other "just a fact of life" things, like chronic back or joint pain, allergies, and even how stressors affect you.

Want to see people who are successful? Check out the submissions from the following, in addition to perusing this forum:

http://thepaleodiet.com/testimonials-from-paleo-diet-followers/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/success-story-summaries/
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I topped out at ~325lbs. I'm now at ~180lbs. The first 100lbs or so, I didn't hardly exercise at all. It was completely effortless (I was eating 2-4lbs of bacon a week). I started exercising only because I had too much energy to go to sleep at night if I didn't do anything that day. I still have a few percentage-points of bodyfat to lose to get where I want but I am definitely pretty fit at this point... More so than most people I know. Which isn't saying all that much, really. Most folks I know are overweight or otherwise unhealthy, probably because of their poor dietary choices, but that's just speculation.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much guys, I have already started weaning my way off of all the carbs I was taking in. I have my carbs set at 110 per day right now, although I don't always hit that number. I was wondering... what is the onset time for the "Carb flu" symptoms? For the past couple days I have had a minor headache (front of the head headache), my eyes seem to unfocus just for s#its and giggles, and kinda sluggish. I hope its just an early example of carb flu and nothing is actually wrong.
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The feelings you've been feeling are indeed the beginning's of the carb flu. The eye thing may just be a side affect of the headache. I definitely felt sluggish and not mentally all there for a while. Don't worry, it'll pass.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much guys, I have already started weaning my way off of all the carbs I was taking in. I have my carbs set at 110 per day right now, although I don't always hit that number. I was wondering... what is the onset time for the "Carb flu" symptoms? For the past couple days I have had a minor headache (front of the head headache), my eyes seem to unfocus just for s#its and giggles, and kinda sluggish. I hope its just an early example of carb flu and nothing is actually wrong.

Sounds about right. Usually lasts for 3-4 days, though some people experience it for up to a week, depending on how many carbs they used to intake vs how many they're eating now.

Also, it's called "carb flu" for a reason, so it may get worse before it gets better, and you may indeed feel like you've got the flu. Again, it's normal, and it will pass. You're essentially detoxing, not unlike a drug addict would. Hang in there, rest as you need (or work through it, if that makes you feel better), drink lots of water and eat lost of good fats (if you've got yourself a good bone broth/homemade stock, that'd be good, too), and you'll be feeling better in a few days.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    This lifestyle is not just about weight loss. You might be AMAZED by the health improvements. I think this lifestyle is for everyone, but not everyone is ready to commit, even just to try it for 30 days.

You will get back what you put in. I have been ketogenic Primal for a year now. I have followed the rules 95% of the time, and even my 5% off plan is usually just a popcorn night every other month or so. I am currently following a very strict version of Paleo, Whole 30, so I am following the food rules 100%. It took me a year to wrap my mind around the idea of eliminating dairy. My results, even before giving up dairy, have been nothing short of miraculous and I am NEVER going back to "normal" eating. I love the food that I am eating and I love not being sick.

My mother and my aunt, who are both very sick and one morbidly obese, were curious about Paleo/Primal so I shared much information with them. However, they are following the lifestyle less than 50% and are now saying "Paleo doesn't work". They might have been successful with the 50% approach IF they had been strict until their health problems were resolved. They did not do that.

It is my opinion that this lifestyle should not be used to just lose weight if the intention is to return to eating exactly like one did before. However, even if one is hesitant, a 30 day full commitment will likely be enough to decide if it really is for you.