People just don't understand..

Options
Suzmp85
Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
I have been battling with this for 2 years or so and it just seems to get worse. I do win some of the times, and I also lose. Some people that don't have this addiction, they just don't seem to understand the urge, the rush, the unknown emotions (which is what I feel) They ask me.."Why do you binge?" "Why don't you stop?" and so on..it's not that easy just to stop..it takes work and effort physically and mentally.

Replies

• Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    I know what you mean :( I think the hardest part for me is that in that moment I don't even want to stop
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I want to stop believe me..I want to recover at this point even more then weight loss..weight loss will happen if we can control the urge to binge more. I just feel like it's controlling me so much. I often think I'm not ready to let go of the addiction, because how good during the binge moment it feels..hate to say that..but binging to me is like getting drunk or getting high..and letting go of stress and life's problems sometimes.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I want to stop believe me..I want to recover at this point even more then weight loss..weight loss will happen if we can control the urge to binge more. I just feel like it's controlling me so much. I often think I'm not ready to let go of the addiction, because how good during the binge moment it feels..hate to say that..but binging to me is like getting drunk or getting high..and letting go of stress and life's problems sometimes.

I completely understand the addiction. Im completely addicted to junk food and when at home often binge on carbs like bread/rice/pasta with butter. I love forgetting about everything in that moment im eating whatever I want.
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ahh yes my favorite is "why dont you just eat less?"
  • coutureaffair1992
    Options
    Ugh totally relate my husband ALWAYS say just stop, just don't do it anymore. It's getting worse for me I feel like Ive dug a hole that's too deep to climb out of. I finished losing the weight and now in the last month I've gained 4 pounds and counting. Everyday I basically know the evening will be awful if not tonight then tomorrow night, that its literally impossible for me to get back down to my normal weight I'm absolutely terrified to be fat again but I'm on the fast track there and I feel like my brakes are broken
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I seem to have binge days here and there. They are far less often then before I came to MFP. Hang in there. It's tough, I know.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get so depressed that I can't stop myself binging even though I'm clearly already very full.

What I find helps is to think about the people who are less fortunate in other countries who don't even have enough food on a daily basis (cliche I know) and how those are actually "real" problems like actual starvation, then I tell myself to not pity myself too much and just put it together!!
  • KaylaBarrett01
    KaylaBarrett01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hate how people think it is just overeating with junk and you can just cut it out. I sort of black out when I binge. I eat and eat and I dont really know I am doing it and can't stop until I absolutely hate myself. When I am done I realize everything I ate. It makes weight loss so very difficult :( It is so hard to explain to people
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is much different then an addiction to drugs. If you can stay away from it for long enough you can get it out of your system and for a while anyway, not need it, but that first bite makes it so you can't stop again.
  • Sara13CH
    Sara13CH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I totally get where everyone is coming from. It isn't an easy thing to just quit or give up. It has been a crutch for me since I was a little girl. Trying to change the behavior is challenging at times because sometimes it comes on so fast, even though I planned it, I don't even have time to stop it until I am already feeling sick. Luckily, there are so many tools that can be used to help lessen the amounts and help deal with the real reasons of the binge.

Lots of healing thoughts to all of you!:flowerforyou:
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm with all of you. There are only 3 people who are aware of the severity of my food issues — my boyfriend, my best friend, and my therapist. I do my binging in secret, so when I try to open up it's almost like I have to convince people since they never see it, so I just give up because they don't get it.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is much different then an addiction to drugs. If you can stay away from it for long enough you can get it out of your system and for a while anyway, not need it, but that first bite makes it so you can't stop again.

yuppp
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult for others to understand eating disorder. That zone you are in when you are binging is NOT just a matter of eating too much. To address this issue, I think you will benefit from other lifestyle changes. Just focusing on "stop binging" is counterproductive because a deep-rooted reason behind eating disorders is the desire to control. And that creates stress...and boom you are back at the table again. I wonder, do you work out and if so does that help?