Any young peri-menopausers out there?

Options

Replies

• CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing HRT? I'd love to hear what others have tried, whether synthetic hormones, bio-identicals, vitamins, or other supplements. Thanks for sharing!

I used HRT for the first year,because the hot flashes were darn near debilitating. It was a good choice for me. :wink:
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 in April and have been in HELL for almost 2 years already! My doctor had said that since I had a tubal when I was very young (21) it could have contributed to early onset.

I have hot flashes, moodiness, crying out of no where for no reason, trouble getting a good nights sleep, and then really weird stuff too like hives for no reason or feeling like there is something on the left side of my throat just after "that time" that lasts about a week. Been to my family and gyn and only explanation I get is "hormones do strange things" I dread what is ahead if things are already this nuts!
  • SJandM2000
    SJandM2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Think I may be the youngest person here! I started having peri-menopause symptoms when I was about 26/27... Had testing done at 29 which showed I have a very low egg count. I'm 30 now and about to have some more tests to see how quickly my egg count is going down but basically the thought is that if I wanted more children the only way of achieving it would be a vague hope via IVF with donor eggs. Thank God I had my kids young!

My mother entered the menopause in her mid 30s and all 5 of her other sisters also entered the menopause young, but so far I am the youngest in our family yet. :( I hope this won't affect my daughters, but judging by the other females in my maternal side of the family it's not looking great for them.

I'm really struggling with weight loss at the moment and I think it may be down to this... I am not suffering too badly with symptoms anymore - was really bad up until about a year ago, had every symptom in the book and was utterly miserable - I just get the occasional symptoms here and there now. I have very irregular periods still and they're my main issue at the moment other than the moodiness, insomnia, itchy crawly skin, total lack of sex drive and occasional hot flush....
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and been having symptoms for about 1 year. periods are starting to be irregular and moodiness is terrible.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    For me I was skipping my periods for a couple of months and then would get it out of the blue. This was going on for a few years. Lately i've been getting it every 2 weeks and very heavy. I called my dr. and he said in many women this happens just before they completely stop getting periods. Anyone have this? Can't wait till I completely stop getting my TOM.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I started into Peri-menopause in my late 30's. Still going through it at 43. I'm down to maybe 5-6 periods a year, but when I was going into peri-menopause, I was menstruating every other week. It sucked!

My mood swings are much better now, but I'm having a harder time with weight control and hot flashes these days. I mostly get the hot flashes at night, so my sleep has been disrupted for the better part of the last year.

Everyday is a new adventure!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I'm 46 and dr. confirmed that I'm in peri-menopause. I have been getting hot flashes since I was 42 and irregular periods. I used to miss a month then get it regular again then miss again. Now I'm having phantom periods. For 2 to 3 weeks I'm bloated and cramping and feeling like any minute I'll get it but nothing happens. It was easier when I just got my period and got it over with. These phantom periods last much longer and are worse than if I just got my period. Anyone getting phantom periods?

I've never heard it phrased that way before, but this is exactly what happens to me, too. I get all the symptoms of menstruation except for actual menstruation. I thought maybe it was psychological because I was so regular when I was younger, that my brain is just telling my body that it is time to feel this way, and therefore I do.

I've been using an ovulation tracking app to monitor my cycles, and I'm only getting periods every 45-57 days. I like this much better than the 2-3 times a month I used to get when I first started into peri-menopause.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I'm 46 and dr. confirmed that I'm in peri-menopause. I have been getting hot flashes since I was 42 and irregular periods. I used to miss a month then get it regular again then miss again. Now I'm having phantom periods. For 2 to 3 weeks I'm bloated and cramping and feeling like any minute I'll get it but nothing happens. It was easier when I just got my period and got it over with. These phantom periods last much longer and are worse than if I just got my period. Anyone getting phantom periods?

I've never heard it phrased that way before, but this is exactly what happens to me, too. I get all the symptoms of menstruation except for actual menstruation. I thought maybe it was psychological because I was so regular when I was younger, that my brain is just telling my body that it is time to feel this way, and therefore I do.

I've been using an ovulation tracking app to monitor my cycles, and I'm only getting periods every 45-57 days. I like this much better than the 2-3 times a month I used to get when I first started into peri-menopause.
    I wish mine was either longer OR shorter lol. Mine will go 60-80 days for a while, then every two weeks for a while. One annoying thing is the "phantom" period, yes, because for me, the PMS can start on day 26, and last until the period finally comes, 20 or 40 days later!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    insomnia, itchy crawly skin, total lack of sex drive and occasional hot flush....

Totally describes me.
    I haven't had a period since the end of December...
  • SJandM2000
    SJandM2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mine were horrendous, so my Dr insisted we try the mirena coil. Even then they're still all over the place, just a little bit lighter than they were... I'll go 40-50 days without a period and then suddenly have several 2 weeks apart, and then nothing again for awhile. It's driving me insane as I never know what my body is doing.

And as for weight loss, since this all started, you can forget it. I used to have a great metabolism and was very slim and now I'm just an overweight blob. I've reached 14 stone now and can't seem to shift down or up. Just stuck here... :(
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Wow. I'm 46 and just started this... Phantom Periods are the perfect description. For the last 3 months I have felt like my period was coming on time, then nothing. After 83 days, I just started a real period this week! I was hoping I was done...guess not.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I started peri-menopause right before I got pg with my daughter when I was 36.
    I think it was my irregular cycle that got me pg in the first place.
    Anywho, after I had her, that seemed to re-set my body and I was back to normal for a few years.
    But between 40 & 42, I went back into peri-menopause and am definitely moving towards full menopause.

I had issues in my mid 30's as well. I though it was fibroid related, had a myomectomy, went on birth control and then tried to get PG and had 3 miscarriages. Had my twins at 38 and it must have reset me for a while as well - got PG 4 months after the twins! I had no problem losing weight after my son was born, but a couple of years after that started back down the road of night sweats/night chills; heavy, shortened periods; tried ablation, but it didn't work (i have a heart-shaped uterus and the Novasure wouldn't deploy!).

Went to a naturopath, tried bioidenticals for a while, then quit them. Just a real ongoing saga. I am ready for it all to be over and done with now! My mother has been telling me for years to get a hysterectomy and I just keep trying to work through this all. It has to be over soon, right? I have no idea about family history because all the women in my family have had hysterectomies before they were 40.

46 and counting...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Anywho, after I had her, that seemed to re-set my body and I was back to normal for a few years.
    But between 40 & 42, I went back into peri-menopause and am definitely moving towards full menopause.

I had issues in my mid 30's as well. I though it was fibroid related, had a myomectomy, went on birth control and then tried to get PG and had 3 miscarriages. Had my twins at 38 and it must have reset me for a while as well - got PG 4 months after the twins! I had no problem losing weight after my son was born, but a couple of years after that started back down the road of night sweats/night chills; heavy, shortened periods; tried ablation, but it didn't work (i have a heart-shaped uterus and the Novasure wouldn't deploy!).

Went to a naturopath, tried bioidenticals for a while, then quit them. Just a real ongoing saga. I am ready for it all to be over and done with now! My mother has been telling me for years to get a hysterectomy and I just keep trying to work through this all. It has to be over soon, right? I have no idea about family history because all the women in my family have had hysterectomies before they were 40.

46 and counting...

Hysterectomy isn't the magic answer either as it messes with hormone levels as well...:grumble:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

46 and counting...

Hysterectomy isn't the magic answer either as it messes with hormone levels as well...:grumble:
    It's the default in my family as well. But it's not for me. I need the gradual change. I once had a mirena removed and the hormone "crash" was horrible.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    It's the default in my family as well. But it's not for me. I need the gradual change. I once had a mirena removed and the hormone "crash" was horrible.

Oh, that sounds just horrid...:noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It was. I'd never do that again.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Did you kill someone or sit in a dark room crying for days on end? :sad:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Did you kill someone or sit in a dark room crying for days on end? :sad:
    Crying and staying away from people. I quickly got bio-identical progesterone and started supplementing. Took a few cycles to get things going again. But the "crash" was about a week long.
  • lkhaycook
    lkhaycook Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else experience dizziness or get lightheaded?

Lightheaded & dizzy at times, definitely.