I need encouragement/accountability

Options
ruthlesswr
ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
Ok ladies. I have been doing pretty well so far, but it's only been 2 weeks, and I can already start to hear that internal dialog starting up.."you're doing great, Ruth! It wouldn't hurt to have just ONE brownie, would it?...". It doesn't help that I made a batch of my favorite brownies EVER (gooey chocolate caramel goodness) to take to work and though most of them disappeared into people other than me, there are about 5 of them sitting in a tupperware container on my table just taunting me...This is how I get in trouble....

Replies

• AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ruth...
    I don't know if I can help you... I just eat a mini-brownie an hour ago :-)
    But try to choose... How many calories have you left for today? Can you swap that brownie for something that you can miss today?

You can decide to have that brownie... But if you decide to have it, you really have to enjoy it.
    Only choose to eat it if you know that you won't feel guilty afterwards.

Eating a brownie, enjoying it, and staying within your calorie-budget for today is fine, just fine...
    But if you decide you're going to feel guilty about it, that would be an affront to those heavenly brownies, and you don't want to insult them, do you?
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm with Anne on this one.
    Put things like that out of sight so you have to make a concious effort to get them, can be enough to stop you.
    What would be your exercise 'forfiet' if you did eat one - lot of effort to burn off one of them?
    Don't bake them, move on to something like a healthy flapjack.
  • ruthlesswr
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know that I CAN eat one, it's just that I know myself well enough to know it's a slippery slope for me...better to resist at least until I build up better overall habits. The biggest problem is that I LOVE to bake things for people! These I made as a thank-you to a couple of guys at work who spent precious time out of their workday to fix a problem I was having. I don't think I want to stop baking, I just figured if I shared on here of my temptation, you guys would keep me honest :smooched:
    So far so good!
  • AnneTanne0
    Options
    I just wanted to add:
    The fact that you post this here, already makes you accountable.

It shows that you thought about whether or not to eat that brownie.
    And if after having posted this, you should decide to eat, it wouldn't be mindless munching, it would be a mindful decision...

But having decided not to eat it, you feel even better I guess...
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Somewhere I heard we stop tasting food (even yummy brownies) after a few bites. After that our brain takes over and makes us want more.

Stupid, stupid brain. Stupid brownies, too, I'm powerless over the wicked things. :ohwell: You did good! Hooray for willpower!
  • ruthlesswr
    Options
    Woot! I made it through the day yesterday without giving in to the brownie temptation! Thanks to all of you for helping me keep myself on track! You're the best!
  • AnneTanne0
    Options
    That's great Ruth!
  • missycat95
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I lost 61 pounds and then I thought "Oh, it won't hurt to have (insert chips, margaritas, doughnuts, etc.) just this once." Suddenly, I gained back 15 pounds! I stopped right then and there and started working out (it had been years), then signed up for myfitnesspal.

Do you Pinterest? There are some amazing recipes out there! I found one last night that I made. It's called Skinny Chocolate Chip Banana bread. 168.8 calories per slice. OMG! It was delicious...and sweet!

Good luck to you!
  • ruthlesswr
    Options
    Thanks, Missy! I have a Pinterest account, but honestly rarely use it. I'll check it out though.
    And we sound like the same person :) Good luck to you too!
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ruthlesswr = 1
    brownies = 0

Congratulations!!
  • ruthlesswr
    Options
    Well I almost made it through the weekend .... I did break down and eat a brownie last night BUT I made sure I entered the recipe into MFP so I knew exactly what I was eating and it didn't cause me to go over my calorie goals (we won't talk about sugar or fat goals :laugh: ). I feel ok about it. I was afraid i'd eat one and then want another, but knowing exactly _how_ calorie laden they are (according to MFP's recipe analysis - around 480 calories! For one fairly small brownie! Yikes!) I think will stop me from over-doing in that way. Well that, plus the fact that it was the last one.:embarassed: I was starving all day yesterday for some reason. I ate about what I usually eat (up until the brownie anyway) so I don't know what that was all about...
    Ah well "the brownie incident" is done and over with now. I'm not planning on making anything else like that for a little while and I think that knowing I can let myself have one without going on some sort of crazed binge makes me feel better.
    Thanks for listening!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Good job logging it and Only having One!!! and thanks, now I want a brownie.

the 3 week mark is where it can get Hard..... we start with great motivation. By then end of week 2, its not as 'fun' anymore. week three is tough! When you push through, you keep going. Otherwise that bad talk starts.... "oh I did it again, I'll never do this" and stop, versus, it was one brownie, one bad meal or one bad day.

You can do it!!!! :)

Don't beleive those numbers? Check out a Gym on Jan 1 versus Jan 21 vs Feb 15. vs July 15 lol

a class I was in in January was so full you could barely move, two weeks ago there were 6 people there.
  • AnneTanne0
    Options
    Well, if you stayed within your calorie-goal, you didn't really break down!

And as MissyCat suggested, maybe you could search for some yummie low-calorie recipes?

I can't help you with that: I do bake every week, but only bread
    http://annetanne.smugmug.com/Thuis-At-home/keuken-kitchen/Brood-bakken/14647517_hLrTL6#!i=1091893219&k=22XMRq9

(I don't know if this kind of breads look appealing to Americans... When we were in the States last year, it turned out to be rather difficult to find this kind of fairly heavy (in weight) breads, that didn't have sugar and/or fat added...)
  • ruthlesswr
    Options
    Sorry Nancy! RESIST THE BROWNIE :laugh:
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and bake, too. It's a way to show love to others. But I also struggle to stay out of the cookie jar so to speak. My best advice is plan ahead when you know you're going to bake, so you can have one without any guilt. Have a list of low cal meals to turn to if you do eat more than one. Just DON'T Throw in the towel, call the day a total loss and eat the rest. And contrary to recent lore, the ends, corners, crumbs and trimmings all count!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    individually seal them and drop them in the freezer, if this doesn't make you more nuts than having them on the table.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    focus,,, be strong and conquer.
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me missycat. I lost 55 pounds last year and kept it off for a long time. Suddenly I started going out to dinner a lot more, drinking more wine and margaritas and I put on 15 pounds in a couple of months.

Whoa! Nelly! Stop right there! I never want to get back up to 200 pounds, EVER! Here I am logging every day, making wiser choices and have lost about 6 of those pounds. 9 more to go and I will be back at goal.

Kristine