Exotic Meats

Options
carrieann8
carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
I just bought some boar, rabbit, and elk. Any cooking suggestions?

Replies

• nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What cuts do you have?
  • carrieann8
    Options
    boar medallions, nearly whole rabbit, and ground elk. Sorry I guess that helps.
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've always cooked rabbit pretty much the same way I cook chicken...in a curry, a stew, with a cream sauce (not Paleo though). I've never had elk or boar, but I'm sure the possibilities are endless, yum!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Elk and boar can be a bit lean and therefore cook much faster than beef. I'd marinate the meat in oil and herbs and then grill it. Or mix the ground meat with a fatter cut (pork or beef) and make a meatloaf.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    rabbit stew

chopped
    onions
    carrots
    bacon
    butter/oil
    sage/thyme
    and a few juniper berries
    place in a slow cooker
    add enough stock to cover, season well and slow cook for 2-3 hours till tender :)

With the boar just grill it, boar meat is delish and I don't like adding to much to it, just serve with your favourite sides

And the elk I've never cooked with but when I lived in Scandinavia a lot of people said the thing about adding fat to stop it from drying out.

:)
  • carrieann8
    Options
    These are some great ideas! Thank you! If any of you live near Cincinnati Ohio, I got all of the meat at Jungle Jim's.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I live in Cincinnati too! I love Jungle Jim's best international market ever :)
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I live in northern Ohio and have not been to Jungle Jim's, but have seen a brochure from the place. Yikes! I could spend hours in there.