Returning to MFP after a long time in hiding!

Options
Hey everyone! I was on this site religiously a while back but had to leave due to some military obligations. I ended up blowing out my elbow that took a few months to recover which really hurt my physical fitness. Now I'm fully healed and ready to get back into it though. I just got all my supplements again and wanted to post them on here along with my daily diet that I'll be carrying out for everyone to analyze and critique on. Currently, I'm 6'3" and weigh 214lbs at around 15-16% BF. My goal is to lean down to 190-195 and get to 10% BF or less. I'm hoping SideSteel will get in some advice for me on this as well. He's given great advice in the past when I needed it along with some awesome recipes (the pumpkin ice cream being my favorite still to this day).

Well, here's the supplement list to start out with:

Sport Multi Vita Pack from GNC (I know I know GNC but it was on sale)
Whey Protein or Egg White Protein (still unsure)
Casein Protein (only for before bed)
BCAA's
C.E.L's Cycle Assist (taking this because of two other things I'll be taking O_o shhhhhh if you must know then message me)
Glutamine
Glucosamine
Omega 3-6-9's
Krealkalyn or Creatine Monohydrate (Not sure yet on which one I want to take)
ZMA's

My diet will consist of the following:

200g protein per day
100g carbs per day
40-50g of essential fats per day

My protein will come from Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Very Lean Beef (no more than once a week), Ahi Tuna, White Albacore Tuna, Tilapia and Egg Whites. I absolutely hate Salmon and can't even get it down so that won't be in my diet. My carbs will come from Baby Greens, Spinach, green veggies Sweet Potatoes and Beans. I won't be eating any Rice or Oatmeal unless I have to due to feeling lethargic from how much I'll be working out. My fats will be coming from Extra Virgin Olive Oil on my salads, some veggies like Avocados, Flax Seeds and various nuts like Walnuts, Almonds etc.

My workout schedule will be as follows:

Monday - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps and Abs for about an hour of 12-15 rep sets followed by a 15 minute circuit of core work with Kbells.

Tuesday - A 500 meter combat sidestroke swim (slick) followed by a 3 mile run.

Wednesday - Back, Biceps and Abs for about an hour of 12-15 rep sets followed by a 15 minute circuit of core work with Kbells.

Thursday - A 500 meter combat sidestroke swim (slick) followed by a 3 mile run.

Friday - Legs and Abs for about an hour of 12-15 rep sets followed by a 15 minute circuit of core work with Kbells.

Saturday - A 500 meter combat sidestroke swim (slick) followed by a 3 mile run.

Sunday - Rest day.

All of my lifting will be with about a minute of rest in between sets. I'll be doing 4 sets of each exercise with the 1st set at 15 reps, the 2nd set at 12 reps and the 3rd set at 10 reps each increasing in weight. The 4th set will be 15 reps at the same weight as the first set to burn out. I lift as heavy as possibly for these sets for example on a flat bench, the 1st set with 80lb dumbbells for 15 reps, the 2nd set with 90lb dumbbells for 12 reps, the 3rd set with 100lb dumbbells at 10 reps and the 4th set with 80lb dumbbells for 15 reps. Also when I lift I will be switching each week between dumbbell workouts and olympic bar workouts to have variety so that I don't get bored with doing the same thing all the time. When I hit Abs it will be in 4- 5 sets of 20-25 reps with about 4 different exercises to hit upper, mid, lower and obliques each time.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Will my diet be sufficient enough to fuel my workouts? I'm not worried about feeling exhausted or lethargic after the workouts, my main worry is having enough fuel to get through the workouts. Should I up my carb intake or is it okay where it's at? I also forgot to add that I train in Martial Arts 4x a week for about an hour and a half each time. I'll be getting 8-10 hours of sleep each night so I should be fully rested. My job during the day isn't very active anymore so my body won't be put through much stress other than the workouts.

If anyone is looking for some support as well then let's be friends and keep each other motivated! Thank you to everyone who takes the time out to respond to this, I appreciate it greatly.

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    Thanks for leading me to this group! Definitely a ton of information on the boards here.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options

200g protein per day
    100g carbs per day

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Will my diet be sufficient enough to fuel my workouts?

Simple math: 200 * 4 + 100 * 4 + 50 * 8 = 1600.

No, 1600 calories will NOT be sufficient to fuel you up.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    welcome!

that sounds like a lot of supplements! have you had success with those before? i take about 5 supplements, so maybe i'm not much better.

with that activity level, it seems like eating more fats and carbs might help your energy levels. is there a reason you aren't eating egg yolks and are only eating very lean beef on occasion?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

200g protein per day
    100g carbs per day

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Will my diet be sufficient enough to fuel my workouts?

Simple math: 200 * 4 + 100 * 4 + 50 * 8 = 1600.

No, 1600 calories will NOT be sufficient to fuel you up.

(200 * 4) + (100 * 4) + (50 * 9) = 1650....but still not enough.

OP, I'm not sure if you understand the concept of paleo/primal eating. Fat isn't the enemy, neither is red meat. Check out www.marksdailyapple.com.

For reference, I am 5'6", 120 lbs and eat 2300 cals/day: 115g protein, 86g carbs, 166g fat. Find your TDEE, figure out how much you need to eat to fuel your body while still losing weight, and adjust your macros so that fat fills up the remainder of calories (your protein and carb numbers look fine).
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my bad with that count, fats are in fact 9kcal per gram.
    OP, I'm not sure if you understand the concept of paleo/primal eating.
    Ditto. Paleo/Primal is about eating healthy, unprocessed food. Adding some supplements is acceptable, but basing the diet on heavily processed artificial food (and other "stuff" you're planning on adding) goes against the entire concept!

OP, I think your approach is flawed. I see you put a lot of thinking into your supplementation, and not a lot into laying out a sound diet plan. Supplements, as the name suggest, supplement whatever you lack in your diet, they do not and should not replace a good diet!

Now I'm no stranger to protein powders, but I only use them when for some reasons I can't reach my daily goal. I don't replace meals with shakes unless it's necessary. 100g of tuna in water is 25g of protein, it's about as much as a scoop of powder.

As for casein, glutamine, ZMA... Read this and save your money. Buy some real food instead.
    http://stronglifts.com/12-strength-training-supplements-dissected/
    C.E.L's Cycle Assist (taking this because of two other things I'll be taking)
    I see you like shortcuts... Still, be mindful, that without a sound diet, it'll all go to waste anyway.
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input. I'm definitely going to look into the diet a little more and work on it. I do like shortcuts a lot :X I've used them a lot in the past with nothing but good things to say about them.

What are some good fatty foods that will increase my calories but still keep me at a good protein and carb ratio?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input. I'm definitely going to look into the diet a little more and work on it. I do like shortcuts a lot :X I've used them a lot in the past with nothing but good things to say about them.

What are some good fatty foods that will increase my calories but still keep me at a good protein and carb ratio?

Feel free to check out my diary for ideas. I tend to eat a lot of fish, high in both protein and fat.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

Bacon (nitrate-free is the way to go), avocado, coconut oil, coconut cream, olive oil, pastured butter or ghee -- just off the top of my head. (I'll eat coconut oil by the spoonful if at the end of the day I'm low on calories.)
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    You said the magic word... Bacon... I'm down with that lol.
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    I'll take a look at it now! :)