What keeps you motivated?

Options
SelenaRios12
SelenaRios12 Posts: 4 Member
I don't really have anyone to keep my motivated. I've haven't been on here lately and I feel like a failure. But I am restarting again because well I don't like my body right now. Anyways what keeps you motivated because my problem is whenever I take a resting day I feel relaxed, but then the following day I quit and don't want to do anything anymore. I am like a binge work outer if that is even a word. I start off good, but as soon as I take a day off I don't want to continue. I'm starting to think to keep going and not take any breaks. Then I searched online that its bad to exercise your body every day. Ughhh D:< . It would mean a lot if you guys tell me what keeps you going. What makes you say,"Well time to go to the gym?" or "Yayyy exercise time" <--- idk if some of you guys do that lol. If you do I want to be like you :)

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I make sure that most of my calories comes from sports or activities I like. I do aerial fitness, belly dance, and mountain biking. Weight lifting is really my only "exercise" activity. If I had to chug away all the time on the elliptical or treadmill I'd dread working out.

Aerial is one of those activities that's great for motivating a person to exercise because you really have to keep up your fitness in order to even do any of. For those not as interested in circus arts, pole is very similar.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I totally used to do the same thing, where I would work out and eat perfectly every day, then take one day off or eat a doughnut and suddenly I stopped working out and started overeating, and that would continue for weeks or months until I "started over" again.

In Feburary, I decided to stop "starting over," and I think that change of semantics also changed something for me mentally. When you "start fresh", you feel like you have to get it "right" this time, but if you just change the way you think about it, you can forgive yourself for minor slips and just keep going. It's not about starting over. It's about continuing even when you make a mistake. If I eat something I wasn't planning on or I miss a workout because I was sick or traveling, etc., I just shrug it off and do better the next day, then congratulate myself for continuing even after a slip. One day won't make a difference if it really is just one day. :)

I've been doing regular workouts 5-6 days a week. I have a workout schedule, and while I keep mine in my head, I've heard a lot of people say it helps them to actually write their workouts into their calendars. This way, if you miss one, you already have your next one scheduled. I also finally admitted that I'm a total flake about sticking to a single program, so I've started switching up my workouts any time I start getting bored.